Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 1:09:33 PM EDT
I don't know about you guys ... but I got sick of the spam and virii and ads in yahoo messages ...

So in my leisure I set up an email server on my machine ...

It's free ... no limits to message size and quantity ... and the only ad is given by the software I use which is free (just the stupid one liner) ... even have pop and forwarding (without the extra ads that yahoo sends ya)

anyways it's up and running if ya want to use it

http://webmail.iahu.ca/

your mail will be @iahu.ca
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
tell me about security
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That's funny-- I never get spam or virii in my Yahoo emails. I do get an occasional ad for something I signed up for... but that's it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
On another note-- you are outside of the U.S., right? Therefore, any of my emails that are sent out then back in can legally be screened by the NSA, FBI, whoever...

Also, what are the legalities (for U.S. citizens) of encrypting messages when the mail server is outside of the U.S.?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
sign up as an AR15 Team member - don't they get email accounts now, instead of just forwarding?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, he's gettin virii!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
sign up as an AR15 Team member - don't they get email accounts now, instead of just forwarding?
View Quote

yep, sign up as a team member and get a cool email addy with AR15.com at the end, plus youll help support the site at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It was just a suggestion guys ... its not like I make any money off this ... I just thought it would be neat to run my own and not have to deal with my yahoo account anymore

as for legalities ... I would imagine the same issue would arise from having me import encrypted email to ar15.com which is based in the states as you would see exporting encrypted email to Canada ...

security ... well pop3 smtp and webmail is all plain text ... this system I set up uses ssl for security ...

the ads ... how about this:

and the occasional inline pictures as well

I just brought it up since I figured some of you may be as annoyed at it as I am.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a nice gesture.

Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On another note-- you are outside of the U.S., right? Therefore, any of my emails that are sent out then back in can legally be screened by the NSA, FBI, whoever...

Also, what are the legalities (for U.S. citizens) of encrypting messages when the mail server is outside of the U.S.?
View Quote

You are joking if you think messages sent inside the US aren't screened.  Remember the Carnivor system?  It is installed on every major ISP and scans everything going through it looking for certain key words.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#10]
you can get free email from the NRA if you're a member

i like to think of email as just like talking over a cb
anyone who cares to look can read it
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You are joking if you think messages sent inside the US aren't screened.
View Quote

I didn't say they weren't. I said they can "legally" search them... BIG difference...
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
well to finish this off ... just make sure if you are going to use the server don't use words like "praise allah" and the like ... gotta keep the heat off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top