Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 10:52:48 PM EDT
Here in Hawaii, we have a reduce capacity magazine law which states that it is a misdemeanor to have a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds, only if, that magazine fits into a pistol.  It is a felony if said regular capacity magazine is inserted into a pistol.  We are not Kalifornia, we are allowed to have pistol grips, bayonet lugs, colapseable stocks, flash supressors, and detachable magazines on our guns.  However, it is "understood" that there are a number of AR pistols in Hawaii before the reduced capacity law was implemented (sometime in the 80's) and therefore, AR's can only have the neutered mags (of 10 rounds or less)*.  So feel free to sell and send us regular capactiy rifle magazines for any of the others (AK's, mini's, M1A's, etc...).  It irks me to see people unwilling to send us magazines (other than AR) due to a misconceived gray area of the law.  Thank you for reading this, and good night.

* there is a rather large movement of people who believe that as we can not currently legally own AR pistols, and as the vast majority of us do not own them, we should have regular capacity magazines.  These people (some gun stores included) freely buy, sell, and use regular capacity magazines.  But this is still a gray area as the law as it is currently written makes no exception for magazines which can fit into both a pistol and a rifle.  The Hawaii Rifle Association (the Hawaii branch of the NRA) is activly lobbying to have the reduced capactiy magazine ban removed all together, and at the very least have the law clarified.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the crazy firearms laws, I have always found Magazine capacity magazine laws the craziest.

Australia has the same laws, I can't even being to understand the logic to this.

Most of the crazy firearm laws have a" justification" but I've not seen one for this.

David
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Of the crazy firearms laws, I have always found Magazine capacity magazine laws the craziest.

David

+1    Can't have 1 15 rd mag for a G20? Fine. I will carry 2 ten round mags then.
      Bastids! Still boils down to shot placement anyway. Homey can't shoot for shit
so he needs 15 rds. in the fotey to hit center mass once.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Australia has the same laws, I can't even being to understand the logic to this.

Most of the crazy firearm laws have a" justification" but I've not seen one for this.

David

Agreed . People who intend to shoot upa  place often bring multiple mags or stuff their pockets with rounds to reload with. Magazine capacity laws are worthless.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
doesn't hawaii have a really good version of the 2A within their state constitution?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Hawaii !!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

David

A shooter/gunman is most vulnerable to being neutralized during a reload.
The more reloads a person has to perform, the better the chance that person can be taken down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always liked Hawaii.  I've lived here for the last 18 years and my wife was born and raised here.  

After 18 years, I am thinking of moving to the mainland.  Not because of the gun laws but because my house is now worth over a million dollars.  This is the same house that I paid 300,000 for 12 years ago.

Lets see, I like AZ, Utah, New Mexico, ect...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A shooter/gunman is most vulnerable to being neutralized during a reload.
The more reloads a person has to perform, the better the chance that person can be taken down.

The downside is that a citizen involved in a self-defense shooting is likewise hampered, and even more so, because many good guys don't carry a reload. And while the average shooting only involves 2-3 shots in as many seconds, it is the exception to the norm that makes limiting magazines worrisome.

Another reason to dislike the 10 round thing:

Anyone recall the attempts in Brady II to further limit mags to 6 rounds? Once the idea that 10 rounds was "OK" to limit folks to, they tried to make another run at the issue and take another few rounds away from us. At least that one was shot down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top