Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:03:40 PM EDT
i just installed fedora linux 4 and would like to transfer my old desktop pics to this OS, how can i do this?

i have the old HD and OS setup through a USB adapter. the linux recognises it, but cant mount it..

any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 6:16:02 PM EDT by KS_Physicist]
USB adapter, as in an external drive enclosure?

What was your former OS, Windows XP? If so, the disk is probably NTFS format. I'm not sure Fedora has NTFS read/write ability as installed. It should be easy enough to install...but you'll need to look for it.

You might try booting from a Knoppix CD with the USB drive plugged in. I *think* that Knoppix can read NTFS disks.*

You might get more help in the Urban Commando's forum (look under the General forums tab...)

Jim

*To clarify, you'd boot to Knoppix, and then mount the two disks in question (if they aren't automounted) and transfer the files over.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 9:39:40 PM EDT by the_survivalist]
you would be correct on all counts. external enclosure, winXP and NTFS format.

it says "mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'"

i am currently downloading all kinds of updates, maby the data i need is in there somewhere..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:42:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_survivalist:
you would be correct on all counts. external enclosure, winXP and NTFS format.

it says "mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'"

i am currently downloading all kinds of updates, maby the data i need is in there somewhere..

Hmmm....almost sounds like NTFS support isn't built into the kernel, which is odd...

This could turn into a nasty thread, full of "try this" type scenarios. I wish I had an NTFS partition to look at on my FC4 box. Hmm....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:35:52 AM EDT
well, i just finished a bunch of updates, but still have the problem..

but i did get my favorite desktop.. i uploaded it through hunt101.com and then retrived it in linux. what a pain..
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:42:30 AM EDT
You have either compile a kernel w/ NTFS support or simply install the loadable module. The information you need can be found here

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:47:10 AM EDT
well, ive managed to download the packages, and the computer can now read the HD, but now it telling me i don't have the permissions to access the thing...

i am the only user of this conputer, so i give myself permission to access the drive. how do i tell the computer this?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:16:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_survivalist:
well, ive managed to download the packages, and the computer can now read the HD, but now it telling me i don't have the permissions to access the thing...

i am the only user of this conputer, so i give myself permission to access the drive. how do i tell the computer this?

Try reading the drive as root.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:20:50 AM EDT
Fedora is just not ready for the masses yet. Might want to just switch back to Windows for a few more years. Or, better yet, go buy a Mac and you wont have to worry about anything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:58:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rock7:
Fedora is just not ready for the masses yet. Might want to just switch back to Windows for a few more years. Or, better yet, go buy a Mac and you wont have to worry about anything.

Or load SUSE 10.0, it reads NTFS just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:16:59 AM EDT
use a usb flash drive.

email them to yourself.

put them on a cd-r

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:19:02 AM EDT
Or you might try Ubuntu.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:51:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kissfan:

Originally Posted By Rock7:

Or load SUSE 10.0, it reads NTFS just fine.

well thats what i orderd. but i was sent this by mistake.

suse is on the way, but i figured to play with this while i wait..

i hadn't thought of reading as root, ill try it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:35:33 AM EDT
reading as root works, but i can't really do anything with it..

someone must know how to tell this thing to let me see the drive....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:17 AM EDT
Did you mount the drive?

Once you have it mounted as NTFS you should be able to traverse the directories.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:47:33 AM EDT
If you can read the contents of the drive, then it works. DO NOT try and write to the drive or you will run the risk of corrupting the filesystem.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:31:07 PM EDT
ok, i am now running the suse 10.0 that i origionally ordered. i am alll loaded up and working, but its kind of annoying that i cant seem to be able to read simple .wav or .mp3 files.

same with a lot of online apps, like video clips, i keep getting a cannot decode message..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
i run fedora core 4, dual boot on all of my computers. i have not got sound (mp3's or avi,videos) to work.

xine i think is a player that was recomended but i could never get it installed
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:06:29 PM EDT
ok trying to do a simple installation in linux is frustrating. i found xmms, and have downloaded it, but cant get it to work. i dont know the code for installing, and i think i need other programs to work with it.

but now the comp is saying i don't have the authorities to write to the filestem again.

anybody have like a technitians manual that goes through all these procedures i could download?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:09:04 PM EDT
Tag for educational purposes only. Carry on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:38:10 PM EDT
don't get me wrong, its a good platform. much more stable than windows. not to mention more secure and no fed back doors.

its just a little frustrating..
Top Top