Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 3:07:42 PM EDT
I have noticed here and at my work (corrections) that a lot of younger and 'some' older poeple are sadly deficient in proper use of "than" and "then" in their sentences.

I would read a report or a post here at arfcom where the person will write (example)" I would like to know THAN, what is the best product for my money"

OR ANOTHER EXAMPLE...this product is better THEN this other product...

why are people so confused as to which word to use??

I know these words can sound alike but correct spelling of two completely different meaning words is just plane stupid.

what errors have you noticed in your everyday life that is an example of the dumbing down of america?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I know these words can sound alike but correct spelling of two completely different meaning words is just plane stupid.

what errors have you noticed in your everyday life that is an example of the dumbing down of america?

Well, I noticed that one!

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Prolly just a brain frat
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I really don't care. English have sum of the worsed rules to learned.

MT
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Prolly just a brain frat

Yep, prolly.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have noticed here and at my work (corrections) that a lot of younger and 'some' older poeple are sadly deficient in proper use of "than" and "then" in their sentences.
I would read a report or a post here at arfcom where the person will write (example)" I would like to know THAN, what is the best product for my money."

I noticed you didn't have a comma between your open quote and the close parentheses.
You also didn't capitalize the "W" in the word "why" at the beginning of your sentence.
You missed a period.
You have an extra question mark at the end of one of your sentences.
You didn't capitalize another "W."
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
And how about America?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what errors have you noticed in your everyday life that are an example of the dumbing down of america?

sorry, i'm just being an ass. i could fucking care less how you or any other of america's gazillion self-proclaimed intellectuals write, speak or otherwise mutilate the king's engrish!!!

jk, man! jk!

It's the QUEEN's English at the moment, buddy!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
English is simply the result of Norman men at arms trying to get laid by Saxon bar maids. Taken in that light, it's kind'a hard to get too worked up about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I seem to be bucking the trend here, but the missuse of THEN and THAN that I see often here really bugs me too.  I'm sorry but it seems so obviously wrong.  THEN refers to time, THAN involves a comparison.  How can you ignore that!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Dam man tlk bout som fuked ^ shtz ya here?
I be finnin the dy i kan b lake u iz
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
pardon me!

i have commited a fox paw!

[lmao]

Hell, yeah, you have!  But you're forgiven for being so clever!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
By far the most common mistake is the misuse of the apostrophe.  Hands Down!

I see it EVERYWHERE.

Hamburger's $2.50

AR-15's rock!

Chevy's rule!

Blahhhhhhhhhh......
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I am either a dumb ass with all of my gramatical errors contained within my original post, or I intentionally placed them there to see if my fellow arfcomers would catch it.

GOOD WORK!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Say what man me not speaking english,  and then and then.  Me be da bomb man,  they spin they spin  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I would read a report or a post here at arfcom where the person will write (example)" I would like to know THAN, what is the best product for my money"

what errors have you noticed in your everyday life that is an example of the dumbing down of america?[8P]

Your post.  America is spelled with a capital A, as well as the bolded red.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Go take a look at: www.engrish.com

Worth a few chuckles. Mangled english at it's worst  best.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Does it irritate you guy when I do this...between my sentences...(or what I can sentences...not what an Engrish Teacher would consider a sentence)...

...MT...Pockets
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
pardon me!

i have commited a fox paw!

[cliffclavin]ehhhh....it's a little known fact that that's actually pronounced fox pass, ehh, just like, ehh, King Louie the 33rd said it back in Paris there, hey?[/cliffclavin]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#23]
It's "for all intents and purposes" not "for all intensive purposes".

"It's going to its den" not "its going to it's den"

"I need to have lunch too" not "I need too have lunch to"

"James' car sucks" not "James car suck's" or "Jame's car sucks"

"You're going to poke your eye out with that" not "your going to poke you're eye out with that"

If you spell like this:

"Yo! sup!!!11 r u up to play online?  cool!  Cya!"

I won't even read it.

I was home-schooled.  It prepared me well to be a spelling and grammar nazi.  I don't even have to use spel cheker.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
It is the psychopoliticians trying to gain control over us!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#27]
your worried about then and than when people are let loose in publik saying yo, yo, yo and you know what I'm sayin after every sentance fragment?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Check this out.  More dumbing down of today's kids.  Why can't they put something intelligent and mind-stimulating on the back of boxes, rather than mind-numbing stupidity like this?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Check this out.  More dumbing down of today's kids.  Why can't they put something intelligent and mind-stimulating on the back of boxes, rather than mind-numbing stupidity like this?

www.users.muohio.edu/cliftojd/pics/puffs.jpg

Because mind-numbing stupidity sells, yo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#30]
If you hadn't gone and done the Revolutionary War thing, you would all be speaking the Queen's English flawlessly right now. You Americans never think anything thru !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top