Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 9:25:53 PM EDT
I have a couple flambeau dry boxes and I have a .30 and a .50 MTM can on the way.

I want to figure out which can I like the best and get more to start a newer and more organizes ammo/reload storage system

has anyone ever filled any of these cans up to the top with loose ammo? can they take the weight or will the handle, hinge, or latch break and drop a shitload of weight on my foot?

I have a problem paying the prices GI cans go for these days so I'd like to make one of these work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have plastic cans and I don't have any complaints, but I prefer USGI.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a plastic can from Wally.  Put it in the trunk, filled with 12ga slugs.  Florida sun, dark green car.  The box became soft, bowed under the pressure.  It was never right again.  I don't recall the brand, it was about 4 years ago.  Been using USGI with cardboard ever since.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
the plastic "50" which is smaller than a USGI 50, or at least I assume it is a 50, maybe a wide 30. It can take loose 9mm right to the top, sides bowed out and the handle still holds well

USGI is better though, doesn't bow out as much, so you don't have to fiddle to get the lid to close
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a freebie from cabelas or someone that I keep used brass in.

I always wondered if it wouldn't crack if dropped on a hard surface on the corner when full of loaded ammo so I keep my loaded stuff in USGI cans.

Probably pointless but it gives me piece of mind. The plastice ones hold a lot of empty brass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top