Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 3:40:16 AM EDT
Back in May a friend of mine had an nd at my apartment with a glock 23 after I had finished showing him how to completely disassemble his pistol. He was on the phone  with his cell phone carrier  when I finished putting his glock back together. I then placed it back in its holster UNLOADED and then set it on its case beside him on the floor and then went about getting ready to go out to dinner.  
He doesn't reallly remember this but at some point he placed a loaded magazine back in the  pistol and set it back down.  Then a few minutes later, while on hold, he thought he should function check his gun.  Let me tell ya, a gun going off in a small apartment will definately get your attention. Whats eve more attention getting is that I happened to be walking right past him  when he fired. Yep, I caught the bullet in my right leg. I think I probably used the word fuck in many variations before I hit the floor.
Needless to say its been a couple of months and I'm fine now but, there were some lessons learned on that day:

1 No matter how safe you are around firearms, your friends are fucking dumbasses and will do stupid things that can kill you.
2 Getting shot doesn't really hurt..........at first.  After about ten seconds it will start to feel like someone hit you with a red hot  metal pipe. And held it against you.
3 Morphine (or whatever the hell they gave me) is your friend.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/wound1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/Picture055.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/bullet.jpg
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Jesus Fuck..

Some people are just stupid. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit!  That hurts to look at.  Can't imagine what it felt like.

I personally would have beaten the shit out of the "friend" that pulled the trigger even if I had to drag myself across the floor to do it.  

You NEVER pick up a firearm without checking its condition.  Hell, even if I put it down in front of me and pick it up 10 seconds later I'll re-verify.  Everytime I don't, I get this little voice in my head going "dumbshit, dumbshit, dumbshit" until I do.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
opps. my bad....read original pst wrong

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck that looks like it hurts.  I'm glad it was your leg.  Your friend is a complete loser.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
uh, ND does mean negligent discharge. Never called it an acidental discharge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank God it was only a .40 and not a 9mm.You would have been dead before you hit the floor.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
JEEEEEZUS   CHRISTO            that is a terrible story,
lucky you are ok now   Are you still friends with the guy the shot you??
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Man...that is a shame.  I trust that you both REALLY understand the dangers involved in handling LOADED firearms.  That old axiom about treating every gun as a loaded gun just happens to be the best advice ever.

So...it looks like the bullet may have screwed up your tibia or fibula.  How bad was the damage?  You mentioned a "couple of months".  Did the round break your leg?

Be safe...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The damage was suprisingly minor. The bullet just grazed off of the fibula putting a hairline fracture in it. I was on crutches for less than a month.  

Like I said, I'm very safe around  guns. I always check the chamber mulitple times before  I dry fire.

Yeah, I'm still friends with the guy. I've known him for about 7 years.
He had just driven several times between Texas and S. Carolina then to Califronia and finally Washington over  a 2 month period so he wasn't exactly  mentally fresh. Thats' basically what caused him to be a bit  distracted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear that you are okay.  At least you have someone buying your beers for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#12]

1.  Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2.  Never touch the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon.

3.  Always keep the muzzel pointed in a safe direction.

I have heard about a few NDs in my day, if they would just pay attention to ONE of the rules they would never happen.

Or if they would just pay attention to number three, no one would get hurt.

Most of the ones I do hear about seem to have payed attention to number three and the weapon discharges in a relatively safe direction.  

Sorry to hear you got shot. (what a strange thing to say to someone)

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1.  Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2.  Never touch the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon.

3.  Always keep the muzzel pointed in a safe direction.

I have heard about a few NDs in my day, if they would just pay attention to ONE of the rules they would never happen.

Or if they would just pay attention to number three, no one would get hurt.

Most of the ones I do hear about seem to have payed attention to number three and the weapon discharges in a relatively safe direction.  

Sorry to hear you got shot. (what a strange thing to say to someone)

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Forgot #4.  Always be aware of your target and what lies beyond.

You're correct in your thought that the rules are Fail-Safe to the degree that if you screw up ONE, the other three will cover your ass.  Screw up TWO of them at the same time and something bad is going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What do you think ND means?

I read it wrong...sorry.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure what type of bullet it was, probably just an inexpensive Winchester HP.
Probably all of the damage to the bullet came from the 2x4 it hit in the wall. There just isn't that much to my spindly legs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/Picture050.jpg
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, that HAD to hurt!!

There just isn't a Hallmark card for that situation.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#22]
This is good reminder for careful gun handling when dealing with guns. Even if it is unload they must be handled as though being loaded.

BTT as good reminder to everybody.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Man... I would kick his ass so hard.

I was at a range once where some guy was re-holstering his 1911 with the hammer still cocked and his finger on the trigger..... when he put the gun into the holster his finger (still on the trigger) hit against part of the holster causing him to pull the trigger... the gun fired straight into the ground, just barely missing his leg.

The bullet riccocheted off the concrete floor of range and almost hit me in the next lane over.

The fact is, I didn't even get shot and people were having to hold me back from kicking the guy's ass. If I was you, I would throw your friend a serious beating.

Glad to hear your injuries were minor, if you could call getting shot minor. Glad you will be ok.

Glockguy40

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Shit!  That hurts to look at.  Can't imagine what it felt like.

I personally would have beaten the shit out of the "friend" that pulled the trigger even if I had to drag myself across the floor to do it.  

You NEVER pick up a firearm without checking its condition.  Hell, even if I put it down in front of me and pick it up 10 seconds later I'll re-verify.  Everytime I don't, I get this little voice in my head going "dumbshit, dumbshit, dumbshit" until I do.

Amen, amen, and AAAAAAMEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
wow! glad you are ok! looks like it hurt like hell!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Was there any alcohol involved, or just a phone?   So the 23 is unloaded in a holster for a few minutes or so before he picks it up and inserts magazine, operates slide, and reholsters.  Then sometime later removed it from the holster and pulls the trigger without having checked anything including which way it was pointing?  Whose insurance paid for the hospital bill?

Does he drive those long distances while distracted on the phone too?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#28]
At least now when someone posts one of those "Have you ever been shot?" threads, you can say you have!

Glad you weren't hurt worse. If it were me I would hold my friend down and shoot him in the leg, but that's just me.

ETA When I was 12 I went squirrel hunting with a friend. We both had .22 rifles. Being kids, we were pretty much plinking at anything and everything. Long story short, we were puttering around an abandoned chicken coop, him on the inside, me walking around on the outside. He shot at the wall, bullet came through a wooden plank and hit me in the leg. The wall took most of the energy out of the round but it still stung. I chased him all over the woods with a brick. Never did catch him.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#29]
you had a great opportunity to test a few other calibers while you were at it, It would have been supieror to  shooting jello molds.

It is photos like yours that might help one of us remember not to be stupid and avoid another accident

Prayers sent for a quick healing.
Joel
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn .
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I get this little voice in my head before I dry-fire a weapon- "Check it first! And if you already have, check it again!", so more often than not, I will check a firearm 2-3 times before I put my finger on the trigger. And thats AFTER Ive picked it up and checked it 2-3 times to begin with.

Obsessive Compulsiveness is your friend if your a gun owner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Check the gun's function, huh?  Well, looks like it works!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Stupid SHOULD be painful.

Unfortunately YOU found that out when it should have been your friend to find out!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#34]
OUCH!

Things like this further harden my resolve about safe gun handling. I am a stickler for the rules and I never feel like an ass for pointing them out to anyone I see miss-handling a firearm. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you also share your story with everyone around anytime there is a firearm present or simply being discussed. By doing so you may save someones life. Stay safe.

- Nugz
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#35]
You should stuff that glock in his pooper and of course post pics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Always always point your gun in  a safe direction.

There was NO excuse for you getting shot.

.40 stinks, go .45

CRC
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#37]
scary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#38]
So, how did you get all those holes in your leg?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
So, how did you get all those holes in your leg?

Yeah, "second exit?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks painful. Heal quickly!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Thank God it was only a .40 and not a 9mm.You would have been dead before you hit the floor.

LOVE THAT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Been away for a little bit but I'll try and answer some ?s

He actually put the magazine in originally without racking the slide.  That part came later.

Yeah, two exit wounds. Let me tell ya, that stumped everyone for a while until I was lucid enough (pain killers and all) to really talk to the doctor. The bullet itself exited  on the right side. the wound on the back of my ankle is from various other bits of shrapnel. In all honesty, it still doesn't make much since to me. I guess between the bullet and cell phone parts there was a lot of crap going through my leg. It's really odd because he was sitting on one of those inflatable mattresses and I was walking past with him on my left. The bullet hit his phone which was sitting on the mattress and then deflected up a bit to hit the front of my leg. Hell, I'm still not sure how I got that  one small cut on the right side above the exit wound since that side was facing away from him.

I guess bullets just do some really weird shit when they start running into things.

It healed up pretty good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/PA240002.jpg
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
This is a simple case of being distracted while handling firearms.
He had is head up his ass.
Bad stuff.

This should be Rule #5.
Never be distracted while handling a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
One of my pet peeves is being muzzle-swept at a range.  This past Tuesday, a group of us from work went trap shooting.  The oldest guy in the group (about 60 years old) is a life-long hunter, but had never shot trap before.  When we took our stations to shoot, he was two shooters to the right of me.

Every time he loaded his shotgun, his muzzle pointed straight at the three of us to his left.  When I told him what he was doing, he was pissed at me (I think he felt embarassed).  His excuse was that he only did it when he knew it was unloaded!  I told him that the three of us on the receiving end had no idea whether it was loaded or not.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was a violation of one of the cardinal rules - never point the muzzle at something you don't want to shoot.

My point is this:  Don't assume that an experienced shooter understands the basics!

Glad you're healing up!

SAB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top