Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/19/2013 9:35:55 AM EDT
I recently had the factory flash hider replaced on a fairly new Sig 551–A1 upper - the flash hider that comes on them is hideous.

I asked them not to use a crush washer in my instructions (even included a copy of this page here http://www.robertrtg.com/sig556flashhider.html) but it looks like the threads were not deep enough so they used one anyways. I have no problem with this except the crush washer that they used is bright silver and really stands out. I've never seen a silver crush washer before and the ones on my ARs are black. The whole purpose of this exercise was to try to get closer to the real SIG 551 look.

Also it looks like they scuffed the barrel immediately behind the flash hider. It was not like this when I sent it to them and there were no perforations in the return shipping box and no other parts inside the box. It's fairly obvious it happened during the FH removal process. I probably could've gotten the FH off with less damage myself and thus the reason for spending the money (40 + shipping both ways) on a professional job. The finish on the barrel looks like nitride so these are pretty hard to scratch.

I realize I will be blasted for being concerned with cosmetics - fair enough. I am not naming names and just want to get some advice!

EDIT:
OK what appeared to be a scuff was aluminum from their barrel clamps and came off rubbing it with household ammonia (thanks for the tip on that). CLP wouldn't take it off. I am good on that issue and it's not a scuff in the finish.

Here's my letter that accompanied my upper. It states "no crush/peel washer". The original above post states "no crush washer" but I in fact requested no peel/crush washer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That isn't a crush washer.  Crush washers are black.  

That is a peel washer.  Peel washers are silver and were standard prior to crush washers.  

It has nothing to do with thread depth.  They are used to time the flash hider correctly.  Go look at a M 16 A2 and you will see.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That may just be aluminum that rubbed off on your barrel from the barrel vice jaws. Try to clean it off.
Why did you send it out for FH replacement? Anyone can do that at home with no specialized tools.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That may just be aluminum that rubbed off on your barrel from the barrel vice jaws. Try to clean it off.
Why did you send it out for FH replacement? Anyone can do that at home with no specialized tools.

This.  It looks like aluminum to me, also.

ETA:  No excuse for the 'smith to leave that on their, though, if it is aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My question as well, it takes about 30 seconds to change a flash hider with no special tools.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a tool, not art work....
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Peel washers were standard an most early to mid AR15-A2's. The A2  flash hider has to be timed, you heat the peel washer and use the slivers as shims to get correct orientation of the top slot in the Flash hider.

If that is not what you wanted or asked for, Take it up with the builder asap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Regardless its crappy work and not what he paid them to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  No excuse for the 'smith to leave that on their, though, if it is aluminum.

OK Thanks - I've got it soaking in CLP now and some of it seems to be coming off.

Still pissed about the FH!
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question as well, it takes about 30 seconds to change a flash hider with no special tools.

Not on everything.  My Armalite AR-10 FH, for example, required heat AND a barrel vise to get the damn thing off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Just throw it down the driveway to even out the finish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been expecting you - welcome. This is not really a "working gun" for me - more of a collector piece.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK Thanks - I've got it soaking in CLP now and some of it seems to be coming off.

CLP and toothbrush.  Me, personally, I'd be pissed at myself if I did that to somebody else's equipment.  I'd be begging for forgiveness if I coulnd't clean it up properly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
and that mark looks like aluminum...

I have done that before with aluminum vice jaws..(now I use rubber ones) but I always cleaned it up before returning it.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, looks like a peel washer to me.  I just recently put one on myself.  

You should look into doing this level of work yourself.  It's not hard and if cosmetics is a concern you can get exactly what you want.

edit:  I don't think it's any big deal one way or the other being concerned with how your gun looks.  It's your gun.  I put an A1 flash hider on my carbine with a lock washer because I don't care about dust if I fire prone and I think the lock washer looks cool on a pencil barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]

You can’t work a ¾” wrench?

And they did follow your instructions, no crush washer was used…that’s either a peel
washer or a set of SS shims that they had to use to time the FH…

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how do you expect them to time it without peel washers or a crush washer...yes you could time it by machining it to fit..but at a much higher cost and refinish job...

Quoted:

And they did follow your instructions, no crush washer was used…that’s either a peelwasher or a set of SS shims that they had to use to time the FH…

or machining...
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on everything.  My Armalite AR-10 FH, for example, required heat AND a barrel vise to get the damn thing off.

Yes - I gave it a whirl using 2 pieces of 2x4 pine with a hole bored between the 2 halves and a layer of hockey tape around the barrel. The original FH was on there good and wouldn't budge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And they did follow your instructions, no crush washer was used…that’s either a peelwasher or a set of SS shims that they had to use to time the FH…

I said "no crush/peel washer".
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how do you expect them to time it without peel washers or a crush washer...yes you could time it by machining it to fit..but at a much higher cost and refinish job...

Quoted:

or machining...

It doesn't need to be timed. The slots are continuous around the FH. Sheezus!
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I hear some of these here, hardwares stores, now carry fancy cans, with paint inside em....

And get this, that there can, done sprays it out, and onto things.......

They did you a favor, you said no crush washer, OK, then the flash hider goes on until its tight, whether its positioned correctly or not.

Once you start telling a professional how to do his job, live with the results you asked for, as you said, its a "Collectors" item, so, it doesn't matter where the flash hider is, if its sitting in a safe.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Turns out that you can scratch melonite
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It doesn't need to be timed. The slots are continuous around the FH. Sheezus!

They could have run out of threads.  Using no washer at all would probably leave a gap between the muzzle thread shoulder and the flash hider.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Ironically, a crush washer is what you did want. It would be black. The guy did an adequate job according to your instructions. This was a case of the customer not knowing what he wanted. The scratch will likely dissolve off. The smith should've cleaned that up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From your post I gather that what you really wanted was for
someone to mount your barrel in a lathe and time the flash hider by cutting
back the shoulder so it could be properly timed without the use of a washer at
all….

If that’s the case then you need to recognize that it was
your ignorance and not the gunsmith’s that left you unsatisfied.

Other than leaving a little aluminum on your finish the
gunsmith gave you the job you asked for.

Plus, that kind of work isn’t common and is extremely expensive.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'd be pissed.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Still, I can fuck my shit up all on my own, I don't need to pay someone to do it for me.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Get a Sharpie pen and touch up the scratch and the washer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Peel washers were standard an most early to mid AR15-A2's. The A2  flash hider has to be timed, you heat the peel washer and use the slivers as shims to get correct orientation of the top slot in the Flash hider.

If that is not what you wanted or asked for, Take it up with the builder asap.

And, those peel washers (AKA: crush washers) were SILVER in color.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....maybe the terms were confused btw:  "split washer" and  "crush washer?"  Like the washers found on the old SP1s.  These are split washers.

Crush Washer

Peel Washer, found on many of my A2s

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#30]
If the scratch comes off, I'd say they did fine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not what you said in your first post.

Take some perms blue and black it out if it bugs you....or get a wrench nd take it off.  It's a 60 second job to remove it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#32]
If you want something done right....

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Get a wrench and take the flash hider off.  Then put it back on and see if you run out of threads before it butts up against the thread shoulder.  If not, then have that much bobbed off the end of the threaded part of the barrel.  Be aware that the barrel crown has a critical effect on accuracy so have someone you trust do that work.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, I can fuck my shit up all on my own, I don't need to pay someone to do it for me.

Valid point if his rifle was actualy "fucked" up..... But its not. Word of advice, learn to do things youself.
I once almost paid a man to swap a barrel for me, then I learned its a 15 minute job on an AR and most guns are like lego's..
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Valid point if his rifle was actualy "fucked" up..... But its not. Word of advice, learn to do things youself.
I once almost paid a man to swap a barrel for me, then I learned its a 15 minute job on an AR and most guns are like lego's..

Yep.  If you can figure out how to embed a youtube video in your arfcom post, you're already way overqualified to change out a barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just throw it down the driveway to even out the finish.

shut up NT
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Do people not carry rifles out in the bush anymore?

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I requested "no crush/peel washer" but wouldn't have minded if they used something blackened or park'd like you see on 99% of AR rifles. This bright silver thing stands out - don't much like it. If they'd of called and mentioned this issue I would have offered my preference for a normal dark one.

I have the scuff mark soaking in CLP right now and will report back. I expect it's aluminum and hopefully it'll come off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#39]
To quote my smith "some customers, you just don't want"

I bet you got exactly what you asked for since you don't even know the names of the parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I requested "no crush/peel washer" but wouldn't have minded if they used something blackened or park'd like you see on 99% of AR rifles. This bright silver thing stands out - don't much like it. If they'd of called and mentioned this issue I would have offered my preference for a normal dark one.

I have the scuff mark soaking in CLP right now and will report back. I expect it's aluminum and hopefully it'll come off.

What you see on 99% AR rifles are crush washers. Ther other % is peel washers and shims which are silver...
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Awesome - remind me never to use your smith.

It's amazing how some posters are trying to twist this into me having requested a silver peel washer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd be pissed.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If the scratch comes off, I'd say they did fine.

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome - remind me never to use your smith.

It's amazing how some posters are trying to twist this into me having requested a silver peel washer.

I'm not.  But if he quoted you $40 for installing a flash hider with no washer you should have known something was up.  That's either way too little for the work it would entail, or he's misunderstood you and is going to use some kind of washer or shim other than a crush washer.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I bet you got exactly what you asked for since you don't even know the names of the parts.

Well I asked for "no crush/peel washer" and don't give a flying fuck what you think. I don't mind that one was needed, but really wish they'd have used a parked or blackened crush washer that would have blended in more. If there was an issue with the job that required more work or payment I'd have gladly agreed to compensate them if they'd have called. They had my cell phone number.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you have a sharpie? It's pretty easy to make something black in color.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Adco?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well I asked for "no crush/peel washer" and don't give a flying fuck what you think.

When you post a thread soliciting opinions, that's probably what you're going to get.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I asked for "no crush/peel washer" and don't give a flying fuck what you think.

When you post a thread soliciting opinions, that's probably what you're going to get.  

I didn't request opinions on what I asked for as I have the order right herewhich I'm now scanning to post. Your logic fails.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top