Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:23:56 PM EDT
i have the new static ips entered

how can you "check"   if its using the updated dns servers?

BUT it still says these are my dns servers....     should it say this,  or is this a problem with the firmware on this router?

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well. I dont know whats up with your router. Im sure you clicked apply for the LAN settings. Try disconnecting and reconnecting your internet connection or reboot your router. I use OpenDNS but i am using a Dlink router. I have a linksys but it has DDWRT installed.

I do know that with OpenDNS instead of getting a 404 error it redirects you to a OpenDNS error page and searches for what you typed in the address bar.

Maybe the Internet connection settings will not update until it is reset IE disconnect/reconnect or reboot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't laugh.. but.. one way to find out if you are actually using opendns as name servers is to go into your opendns account.. create one if you don't have it.. and set up the adult site blocker...

you should be able to take it from there..  

Edited to add.. nevermind.. .. all that does is shove you through a proxy server...  

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The first screenshot shows you what DNS servers your router will tell your other computers to use.  The second screenshot shows what DNS servers your ISP told your router to use.  The latter shouldn't concern you; you care about the former.

To test this out, you can go to a command prompt in windows (Start | Run | cmd) and run

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

That will force your computer to update the DNS information from your router.  After that,

ipconfig /showall

will show you what DNS servers you're using.

Another (easier) way to test is to go to a site that you know doesn't exist; if you're using OpenDNS, you'll be redirected to the OpenDNS screen.  For example, I'm pretty sure buymoregunsitsforthechildren.org doesn't exist
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
ok its working.  i setup the adult filter to test it.   about 5 minutes later it finally started working  thats not frustrating...

websites do seem a little more responsive now.  

i guess i had a total brain fart,  im forgot about the /all switch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top