Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 4:38:27 PM EDT
I'm seeing a really disturbing trend around my parts. It seems officer safety has gone to shit around here. I see it driving by traffic stops, and even in my own dept. sometimes.

Do you guys see a lot of this? I'm guessing the percentage is above 50% of the officers I deal with have poor OS.

What gives?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Here too. 2000+  officers in my dept.  I got 17 yrs on now and feel safer working with the rookies !  I work with alot of complacent officers. I preach but can't get um to practice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
See it everyday. My department and the surrounding ones.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, see it every day.  Officers refusing to wear vests.  Not calling out like they should.  Turning their backs while IDing suspects.  You name it, lazyness.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Complacency. It'll never happen to me.

See it all the time. I catch myself not being as alert as I should sometimes. I'd like to think I'm not lazy but who knows?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep, see it every day.  Officers refusing to wear vests.  Not calling out like they should.  Turning their backs while IDing suspects.  You name it, lazyness.

Wow. I couldn't work at a place like that.

We have some morons and we get on peoples asses about their officer safety but nothing on that scale.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Despite what most people say about southern deputies, a vast majority of the deputies here are really good about officer safety.

Then again, when back up is 25+ minutes away, if it ever comes, you better thave your shit together.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Complacency. See it all the time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Despite what most people say about southern deputies, a vast majority of the deputies here are really good about officer safety.

Then again, when back up is 25+ minutes away, if it ever comes, you better thave your shit together.

The one, and only time I was in TX I seen a trooper standing in the middle of the left hand lane of traffic on the interstate directing traffic with his back turned.

He was busy watching the car burning.

I just about asked the girl I was riding with to stop so I could chew his ass a little, but decided that probably wasn't a good idea.

I know that isn't a reflection on all southern officers, or even all Texas troopers..but holy shit.

I think the Officer Safety in my county probably isn't what it should be either.  Lots of complacency, and under staffing has made things worse.  Officers searching cars by themselves, field sobriety by themselves, etc.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can't believe there are guys who won't wear a vest. That's bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
i see it a lot more now that i work in a rural area.  when working in a high crime non-LE friendly place, we were on edge all the frickin time.  now i work in one of those area's that hasnt had an OIS in years and complacency is an issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens all the time. 'It's too hot', or 'I've got one in the trunk, I'll just throw it on if something gets bad'.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I am blessed to work on a really good squad.  I know that sometimes I can become lax in my OS even though I do my best not to.  My squad has a hard and fast rule, if we see anyone becoming lax on OS or do something that is just not safe, we call them to the side, have a short chat and be done with it.  You learn so that you may live.  Oh and the second rule is if you bitch at the person pointing out an error in you OS, its game on from the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am blessed to work on a really good squad.  I know that sometimes I can become lax in my OS even though I do my best not to.  My squad has a hard and fast rule, if we see anyone becoming lax on OS or do something that is just not safe, we call them to the side, have a short chat and be done with it.  You learn so that you may live.  Oh and the second rule is if you bitch at the person pointing out an error in you OS, its game on from the rest of us.

See, this is how I wish we were. Unfortunately, our guys are mostly all retired from the local metro area, and so their 'give a fuck' is mostly broken. There are a few exceptions, and those are the guys I prefer to work around.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens all the time. 'It's too hot', or 'I've got one in the trunk, I'll just throw it on if something gets bad'.

I can't believe in this day and age this isnt a policy!!  I figured everywhere this had to be required!  I gotta believe this is a policy, but gets ignored?  I can't imagine an agency paying out a law suit/workmans comp because u got yer ass shot and weren't wearing a vest!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing surprises me anymore, some cops just don't "get it".....and never will.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't believe in this day and age this isnt a policy!!  I figured everywhere this had to be required!  I gotta believe this is a policy, but gets ignored?  I can't imagine an agency paying out a law suit/workmans comp because u got yer ass shot and weren't wearing a vest!!

It's policy here. You get caught out on patrol not wearing a vest and you are getting reamed BIG TIME.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
thankfully my partner and I came out the academy together so we are pretty like minded when it comes to officer safety - but I personally don't take shit.

I yelled at a sgt the other day for doing some stupid shit during a car-stop.  No one was around but I laid into him pretty hard...(he did a car stop solo, 4 occupants, driver had a body warrant for agg.assault and he didn't go over air until 10 mins into the stop - found two guns in the car)

ohh the vest thing - no vest? gtfaway from me, go get killed somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
we just went through a 3 day officer safety training course, a lot of officers failed the weapons retention drill

that ended up being one of the main themes of the whole course, weapons retention
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Around here it's new guys terrified of complaints (bull shit or not).
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

we just went through a 3 day officer safety training course, a lot of officers failed the weapons retention drill

that ended up being one of the main themes of the whole course, weapons retention

Umm... Apply downward force on your level 3 holster??????

Am I missing something?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FWIW, peer pressure is one of the most effective ways to get your brethren to practice OS.

Like: Thanks a lot for seeing your comfort trump your need to wear a vest. I might need you, and you won't be there as a result. I understand if you place that little value upon yourself, but I value you one hell of a lot more.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]
the sad part is the new guys are much safer than most of the senior guys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

the sad part is the new guys are much safer than most of the senior guys.

This is what I've noticed. I think its just years of no major altercations making them complacent.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Complacency kills.  No one is immune from getting complacent, I'm sure all of us here have done stupid stuff with officer safety before.  Won't be the last time either, but it's everyone's job to call each other out on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's policy here. You get caught out on patrol not wearing a vest and you are getting reamed BIG TIME.

my department JUST made it policy Jan 1, 2011, and theres still some guys who dont wear 'em... this in one of the top 100 cities in the nation for violent crime!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My department JUST made it policy Jan 1, 2011, and theres still some guys who dont wear 'em... this in one of the top 100 cities in the nation for violent crime!

Never understood it. A vest is not that uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I know of at least 2 officers who dont wear their vests.  One is an FTO.  The other is a shit magnet and finds all types of stuff while he is out on the road.    

Complacency.  It'll kill ya.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top