Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:20 PM EDT
how much do you estimate this costs?

i think i just got double f*cked today.  i needed it done asap, and didnt have time to shop around.

include labor.  thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I cut the intermediate pipe off, bought all of the parts including new muffler, pipe, bolts, ect.  I needed a lift in order to put the new pipe on.  Local shop charged me $75 to basically use his lift.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I cut the intermediate pipe off, bought all of the parts including new muffler, pipe, bolts, ect.  I needed a lift in order to put the new pipe on.  Local shop charged me $75 to basically use his lift.

you should have just paid $4k for a lift while you were at it. hell, the guy couldn't make any money on parts. he's got bills too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
what kind of vehicle? what kind of muffler(s)? dual or single exhaust? any kind of chrome tip?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
1996 Oldsmobile LSS (aka eighty-eight)

single muffler and exhaust.

second question:  do any of you know if any other cars were built on the same frame?  like a buick something, or a pontiac grandprix (doubtful)  - what i'm interested in is finding a car that has the exact same exhaust schematic from teh catalytic converter on back.  so basically the price for installing everything would be identical so if you were to call......oh....the same shop. and ask a price for this 'other' car, if he gave a lot lower number...   you get my point.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
if you go with an aftermarket generic type muffler, not OEM, $200-$300 would be typical for my area. as i'm not familiar with the LSS i cant tell you how big of a bitch routing the pipe would be, i believe the buick century or lesabre is the sister car. i'll look into this tomorrow while at work and will be able to give you a more exact estimate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Looking it up online, if you're paying list price, then the intermediate pipe runs you $198, a good muffler at $119, and the tailpipe goes for $58. Add in a gasket and a couple clamps and about an hour's labor, and I bet you paid about.... $465.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top