Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/26/2015 7:02:56 AM EDT
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/25/jd-power-auto-technology-consumer-use-survey-ford/32323287/

Automakers are investing billions in new technology and features,
half of which are not being used by most vehicle owners, according to a
J.D. Power survey released today.

At least 20% of new vehicle
owners have never used 16 of the 33 technology features measured in
the J.D. Power 2015 Driver Interactive Vehicle Experience (DrIVE)
Report, which evaluates the owner's experience with the features in the
first 90 days of ownership of a new car or truck.

Automakers tout
advances in their vehicles designed to improve everything from safety to
seamless connectivity of smartphones and iPods to semi-autonomous
driving with sensors and controllers in driver-assist technologies that
steer, brake and accelerate to avoid a collision if the driver fails to
act.

Some of the creature comfort technologies are not being used,
the J.D. Power report found. In-vehicle concierge services are never
used by 43% of owners; 38% never use mobile routers; 35% never use
automatic parking systems, 33% never use head-up displays and 32% said
they never use built-in apps.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Built in technology like GPS will be obsolete before the vehicle is. Don't want that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what happens when you have to buy a $2000 option package to get the one thing in it you want.

Either that, or people aren't researching their purchase at all and are just buying what they test drove without seeing what options it has and if there is another model that doesnt have that stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Heat

AC

Cruise control

Ima happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what happens when you have to buy a $2000 option package to get the one thing in it you want.

Either that, or people aren't researching their purchase at all and are just buying what they test drove without seeing what options it has and if there is another model that doesnt have that stuff.

View Quote

They probably got the car with the fancy options that had been sitting on the lot for a "deal"since it was so much the overinflated msrp.

In my experience, automakers out gizmos in the car to distract you from how shitty the driving experience is with modern cats.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently had a 2015 Impala as a rental, leaving ORD in normal big-city expressway driving the iminent death flashing red light and loud beeper startled the crap out of me. Who thought it was a good idea to make that a default-on setting?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a better situation than most since we're good friends with the owners of the dealership but the only truck close to what we wanted was full of useless shit. Automatic high beams and wipers were the worst, thankfully they could be disabled and they removed them from the pricing. Along with several other things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I can believe it.

If I were to buy a new car, I'd want a small, bare-bones box.  No power winderz; no power anything but I do want ac.  Manual transmission.  35 hwy mpg.  $14,000 or so for commuting.  I don't even want to pay $20,000 for a new car.  I've bought lots of new cars in the past but I finally saw this light; but now that I see the light the 'work car' I should have wanted all these years isn't available.

The 'nice' family car and pick-up shall be used henceforth and forever more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heat

AC

Cruise control

Ima happy camper.
View Quote

+ automatic transmission

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They probably got the car with the fancy options that had been sitting on the lot for a "deal"since it was so much the overinflated msrp.

In my experience, automakers out gizmos in the car to distract you from how shitty the driving experience is with modern cats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern cats are an absolute bitch to drive, damn things never go where you want them to and they always stop to shit in the neighbors flower beds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recently had a 2015 Impala as a rental, leaving ORD in normal big-city expressway driving the iminent death flashing red light and loud beeper startled the crap out of me. Who thought it was a good idea to make that a default-on setting?

View Quote

The wife units Armada has the "OH MY GOD YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" beepers and I hate them.

Thing is already a pain in the balls to park or navigate through tight spots without that damn beeper going off 87 feet before you hit something.

Was parked once in a wide open, no barricaded lot. Don't even think there were any concrete parking spot bumpers. As I put it into gear all the buzzers and alarms start exploding. IMMINATE DEATH WARNING YOU WILL DIEEE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP I'm looking around all befuddled because there is nothing around me. Nothing. No cars, nothing. So I put it in park and get out to walk around the car to make sure an infant didn't spontaneously and miraculously birth itself behind my tires.

Nope. All clear.

As I'm thinking the system failed I walked around the front and quickly found the reason for the horrific cacophony of warning buzzers. One motherfucking weed had sprouted up from a crack in the pavement and was about 6" directly in front of one of the sensors.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]

I would settle for a fucking radio that had a couple of knobs.

Fuck touch screens.

FBHO
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
People don't use the Bluetooth that lets them play music and make calls from their cell phone?  I love that shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+ automatic transmission

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heat

AC

Cruise control

Ima happy camper.

+ automatic transmission

FIFY

That's pretty much assumed these days.

OTOH, manual is a pretty effective anti-theft device. Many yoots don't know how to stick.

Toyota covers three packages in the manual for the Highlander. It pretty much makes the damn thing un-usable. Espcecially since the illustrations for the one my wife got don't jive with her setup.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#14]
All I want is a Tacoma with:

A) Their best 4 x 4 package
B) A/C
C) Biggest da-da-damn cab they got
D) Vinyl floor so I can hose it out

all for $19,000
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't want it, when it breaks.  And, it will.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I am happy with all of the goodies in my 2015 Silverado.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#18]
That's because auto manufacturers cant innovate in other areas such as structure, safety and power train, because of overwhelming regulation.  Cool gadgets and cputer software is largely unregulated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
AC, heat, AM/FM radio is all I want.  I recently bought a Silverado 2500HD.  The deal started on sat radio, that thing that monitors the truck and calls home, GPs, Bluetooth speaker phone, etc.  I stopped him and said: “How much will it cost to take all that shit off?”
I ended up buying the work truck version that did not have that crap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad for for the backup camera, backing collision/cross traffic collision warning beepers on my Challenger, you can't see a damn thing behind you.  I laughed hard when offered automatic windshield wipers though.  I think I can manage to detect rain myself, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Accept no substitute.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Backup camera is another good example of a newer feature I love in a car.
I swear, this website is full of Luddites.  Why would you not want a feature they threw in with the package you wanted, even if you don't use it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]
went car shopping for my wife this past weekend, looking at Explorers. She wanted a limited trim because it had a button you press to rearrange the back to a third row or cargo space, had the ability to swipe your foot under the rear hatch to open it up hands free, and a "built in garage door opener." All for only $10,000 more than the XLT model which had all the other features.

We went with the XLT.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#25]
It's just more shit to break...

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's just more shit to break...

View Quote

Huh, wonder why none of that shit is ever the shit that breaks for me?  It's always shit I can't live without, like stuff in the engine.  OTOH, if you don't need it and it breaks, who cares?  Don't get it fixed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I swear, this website is full of Luddites.  Why would you not want a feature they threw in with the package you wanted, even if you don't use it?
View Quote

The stupid takes many forms.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Modern cats are an absolute bitch to drive, damn things never go where you want them to and they always stop to shit in the neighbors flower beds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find the modern cats actually have a pretty good ride, But no matter how small you try to trick yourself in to thinking it is, the XJR is still a BIG cat.
I like the technology in this, including the cruse control (with radar), the auto on/low/high beam lights, etc.
But the thing I like the best is, that it is silent!

The only technology I really hate on modern cars are the warning chimes. Hate those with avengeance!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Some of you old farts would probably still prefer 14.4k
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some of you old farts would probably still prefer 14.4k
View Quote

Hell, I AM an old fart and I like the newer technology.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because i didn't want it, and the hen it breaks, it will cause things i do wany to not work and i will end up spending $$$ to fix it.

Edit, was typing on the phone.

So if the lcd screen on the wife's car goes out, i can't adjust the a/c, radio or see the system monitoring screen?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because i didn't want it, and the hen it breaks, it will cause things i do wany to not work and i will end up spending $$$ to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like your spellcheck?

Seriously though, how will it cause anything that you do want to not work?  If my backup camera stops working, it stops working.  The transmission still goes into R, my rear view and my neck both still work.  How does it breaking affect me?  If the Bluetooth connection stops working, does that mean by phone won't work anymore?  The radio won't work?  What?  You make little sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#34]
It's one of the reasons I do not upgrade my Jeep JK 2007.  Chrysler put a lot of crap in the newer models that I'll never use, do not like and am not willing to pay for.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I hate the push button heater & ac controls.  Wife's yukon has all that kind of crap.  My 2007 tundra
has knobs that work much better.  Don't understand why they put something in that doesn't work as
well as what it replaces, that was cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't use half the apps, virtual gages, etc on my '15 mustang.  Nice to know it's there.  I went through all the settings one time when I first got it.  Gave up reading the owner's manual, it's over 400 pages!

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2015-Mustang-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Like your spellcheck?

Seriously though, how will it cause anything that you do want to not work?  If my backup camera stops working, it stops working.  The transmission still goes into R, my rear view and my neck both still work.  How does it breaking affect me?  If the Bluetooth connection stops working, does that mean by phone won't work anymore?  The radio won't work?  What?  You make little sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like your spellcheck?

Someone figured out how to remotely operate a Jeep through the connectivity package last month.  More of a demonstration of vulnerabilities in technology that the auto industry doesn't have a good grasp of.

I personally just don't need all the add-ons.  I don't spend the day staring at my phone.  Plus most of it will be obsolete long before I stop driving the car.  Disposable technology is overpriced gimmickry when you scab it onto a car.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]Quoted:
  Someone figured out how to remotely operate a Jeep through the connectivity package last month.  More of a demonstration of vulnerabilities in technology that the auto industry doesn't have a good grasp of.
View All Quotes
[b]Quoted:

Yeah, I'm thinking the odds of someone targeting my specific car for remote hacking are slim to none.

I personally just don't need all the add-ons.  I don't spend the day staring at my phone.  Plus most of it will be obsolete long before I stop driving the car.  Disposable technology is overpriced gimmickry when you scab it onto a car.

You apparently spend part of the day staring at a computer screen or you wouldn't be here.  And WHAT will be obsolete?  The Bluetooth?  Not going anywhere.  Backup cameras?  Not going anywhere.  The GPS?  Maybe, but who cares?
Overpriced?  Only if you specifically pay for it.  I don't tell them to add shit on to cars I buy, I take what's there on the model I wanted for the price I wanted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#39]
From the no fucking shit files.  But people still pay stupid prices for new vehicles, so...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren't the 1911 vs Glock threads enough evidence?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#41]
FIL just bought a new Chebby Colorado (retired GM - discount rules apply) he's 79 years old.  Brought it over the day he drove off the lot.

This guy has a little difficulty using his old style flip phone.

Wife had to read the manual to set the two radio stations he listens to.

There are exactly TWO things he likes about all the fancy stuff that pops up on the screen in the dash. It tells him what the temp is and what his mileage is.
As for me, I went truck shopping earlier this year.  I bought a 2001 F350 7.3 4x4 with 94k miles.  It's simple. I can work on it.  Doesn't need piss to run.  The only ridiculous bell/whistle is has is a back up sensor that is USELESS with the camper is sitting on it.  

This truck should last me until I'm dead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate the push button heater & ac controls.  Wife's yukon has all that kind of crap.  My 2007 tundra
has knobs that work much better.  Don't understand why they put something in that doesn't work as
well as what it replaces, that was cheaper.
View Quote

there is a marketing technique called "adding value"

the car companies have made a science out of it

basically the idea is this :  why sell you a $25,000 car when they get you to spend $28,000?

so they load the car with "features"

even the base models are loaded now

they have a base model with power everything, automatic tranny, alloy rims, tinted windows and Bluetooth

they shifted the goal line

a car that was once a heavily optioned car is now the base model and a car with everything you can possibly think of is "normal"

along with this comes a huge increase in loan size to the consumers

people are like heroin addicts when it comes to personal debt, they cannot control themselves

if you suggest to someone that using credit to put a $1000 sun roof in a car is stupid, they will scream in your face about how they're living the good life

zombies
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Its nice, I was able to turn off the shit I didn't want to use in my car
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Why I love my 1941 GMC.     heater was the only option it came with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I hate all the crap they push these days and I wish Ford would take a note. Every model should have a stripped down version especially trucks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why pay for crap you don't want?  Want a moonroof on your Taurus SEL?  It adds $2,000 MSRP because you also have to add a bunch of electronic gadgets.  That's just the first example I found, every manufacturer seems to do it and there are more extreme examples of this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why pay for crap you don't want?  Want a moonroof on your Taurus SEL?  It adds $2,000 MSRP because you also have to add a bunch of electronic gadgets.  That's just the first example I found, every manufacturer seems to do it and there are more extreme examples of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I don't.  I don't pay extra.  I go to the dealership, find a car I want at a price I can live with, and buy it.  I don't ask for add-ons and if the add-ons make it to too expensive I don't buy it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#48]
My last car is just as described,  I had to take a bunch of options I did not want to get the ones I wanted.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#49]
My 2015 KIA Soul I just bought has hands free calling, and XM radio.

First car I've owned with AC.  6 speed.  I love it.  Very satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People don't use the Bluetooth that lets them play music and make calls from their cell phone?  I love that shit.
View Quote

Same here.  Use it all the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top