Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2007 10:18:43 PM EDT
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. --
Marines can expect some new changes to the summer and winter uniform regulations and tighter restrictions when it comes to the use of the Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform off base.

See the rest here..

new regs article
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
That sounds like the same regs in place during my AD years at Swamp Lejeune until I got out in '98. Doesn't sound like much has changed, & with good reason, except we didn't have desert or woodland digi's during my time in. My half unit & LE comrades think I'm still on AD & when I see reserve Marines in my local community in town at Wally World, chow halls, etc. wearing their combat utility uniform I relapse to Gunny & DI mode & start looking for a quarterdeck or pit.

I must admit that I'm not up to speed on reserve regs with regard to utilities, however, so I may be just be over reacting. Can any of you SMCR members clue me in so I don't get NJP for too much IT'ing a reserve member for wearing utes while my rugrats are on libbo at Chucky Cheese? There is also a large Big 10 university (I prefer not to advise the name due to their weak football ranking last year) in town with NROTC & Marine contract zero wannabes in town wearing utes also.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I got out in March.  This is the last news that I recall.

The last MarAdmin I recall is that you can wear the Marpats on the way and back from work, and for essential stops like the bank, gas station, etc on the way there and back.

Not allowed to do general shopping, etc, in cammies.  This does not apply to USN that wearing the Cammies.

You are no longer required to wear the cover while driving a POV in Cammies.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You can fuel your POV in cammies off base? That was a no-no when I was in. I never fueled my POV off base when I was on duty, but I do remember the Div SgtMaj advising you better not get caught getting fuel off base while wearing your cammies. Only drive ups, ATMs & emergencies as the "new" reg currently states anyway. I agree with the regs though. Many Marines did not, but those were the nasties who didn't give a poop either way. You know type, the PFC's with a hash mark or Lance Coolies.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That sounds like the same regs in place during my AD years at Swamp Lejeune until I got out in '98. Doesn't sound like much has changed, & with good reason, except we didn't have desert or woodland digi's during my time in. My half unit & LE comrades think I'm still on AD & when I see reserve Marines in my local community in town at Wally World, chow halls, etc. wearing their combat utility uniform I relapse to Gunny & DI mode & start looking for a quarterdeck or pit.

I must admit that I'm not up to speed on reserve regs with regard to utilities, however, so I may be just be over reacting. Can any of you SMCR members clue me in so I don't get NJP for too much IT'ing a reserve member for wearing utes while my rugrats are on libbo at Chucky Cheese? There is also a large Big 10 university (I prefer not to advise the name due to their weak football ranking last year) in town with NROTC & Marine contract zero wannabes in town wearing utes also.

Wearing utilities out in town is still a no no, for active duty and reserve.  If I saw somebody wearing them somewhere I'd say something too.  

You are allowed to get gas in them, and allowed to go through a drive through in them as far as I know.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can fuel your POV in cammies off base? That was a no-no when I was in.

If I recall correctly, you can now fuel, and go in the gas station, as long as you are either going to, or from work.  Ugh, used to know which maradmin that was in.  I loved to be that PFC or LCPL who quotes Papa 1020 Dot 34 Golf when some jackass tried to correct me, and I knew I was right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can fuel your POV in cammies off base? That was a no-no when I was in.

If I recall correctly, you can now fuel, and go in the gas station, as long as you are either going to, or from work.  Ugh, used to know which maradmin that was in.  I loved to be that PFC or LCPL who quotes Papa 1020 Dot 34 Golf when some jackass tried to correct me, and I knew I was right.

That's going to change according to this.

Although Marines will still be authorized to commute to work in their MCCUUs, they are not permitted to exit their vehicle at any time while enroute to base with the exception of bonafide emergencies, such as a medical reason, vehicle breakdown or a vehicle accident.

Marines are also forbidden to visit local military-affiliated establishments off base such as the USO, Navy or Marine Federal Credit Union and day care while in their field uniforms, said Boyt.

Drive-through establishments such as ATMs, fast food restaurants or dry cleaners are authorized as long as Marines do not leave their vehicle, said Boyt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
why would they not allow someone to pump gas in uniform?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I read the Almar just the other day...previously it was OK to: get gas, pick up dry cleaning and get necessities in utilities..
NOW with the new Almar which came straight from the commandant- You may NOT exit your car off base in utilities for any reason with the exception of medical emergencies or a car wreck.

okay, here's the actual text as I said, this is a departure from what it used to be (emphasis added):

3. THE MCCUU IS A FIELD UNIFORM AND IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WEAR IN A
CIVILIAN ENVIRONMENT. WEAR OF THE MCCUU IS AUTHORIZED WHILE COMMUTING
TO AND FROM WORK VIA PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLE. HOWEVER, EFFECTIVE
IMMEDIATELY, AND AS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE REF, EN ROUTE STOPS
WHILE OFF-BASE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED EXCEPT FOR BONAFIDE EMERGENCIES, SUCH
AS MEDICAL EMERGENCIES, VEHICLE BREAKDOWN, OR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS.
4. MARINES MAY ONLY WEAR THE MCCUU AT OFF-BASE ESTABLISHMENTS WHEN USING
DRIVE-THRU SERVICES SUCH AS ATMS, FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS, OR DRY CLEANERS
WHEN THEY WILL NOT EXIT THE VEHICLE.

Warpig- I feel you, however Marines are expected to be disciplined in the field and in garrison- we as leaders can't choose which rules we enforce or else we are the ones setting a poor example....
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not allowed to do general shopping, etc, in cammies.  This does not apply to USN that wearing the Cammies.

I'm not a Doc, but we're not allowed to wear BDUs off base either unless commuting, emergencies, etc. I would assume that applies to MARPATs as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I always wondered why Marines could not wear cammies off base or in public when the Army and Air Force could.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the regulation?

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not being able to pump gas in your uniform is fucking retarded.

There are some things I don't miss about the Corps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I always wondered why Marines could not wear cammies off base or in public when the Army and Air Force could.
Does anyone know the reasoning behind the regulation?

Because the Commandant of the US Marines doesn't want his Marines looking like a bunch of ragbag soliders or airmen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You want to get out of your car off base wear your Class A or B uniform. You want to pump gas in BDUs buy your gas on post. Simple.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Never been in and don't know anything, but:

Whats the problem with wearing the uniform off base? I am not talking out and about, I'm talking to and from work.

For example, wearing our FD uniform when not on duty will earn you a talking too next shift.... but if I'm on the way to or from work and stop at HEB to pick up some milk, no one is going to say anything.

(unless you pull a bone headed maneuver like a co-worker back at A&M who bought a case of beer on his way home in his class C.)

Just to make sure we are on the same page:
class a: collared shirt, badge, etc
class b: polo, etc
class c: shift/station/dept onduty t-shirt
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want to get out of your car off base wear your Class A or B uniform. You want to pump gas in BDUs buy your gas on post. Simple.

So if I'm on my way to work, wearing cammies (because that's the uniform of the day), and I need gas, I should pull off to the side of the road, change into Charlies (that I just happen to keep in my car just in case), get gas, change back into cammies (becuase that's the uniform of the day), and then continue on my way to work?

Like I said, it's fucking retarded. It might make sense to a pogue who wears Charlies at their desk, but for anybody else, it's ridiculous. In my four years I don't EVER remember Charlies, or Alphas, or anything else other than cammies being the uniform of the day. When we did put the service uniforms on, it was for an inspection or a ceremony, and as soon as it was over, we changed back into cammies.

BTW, Class A's are for soldiers. I don't think I've ever heard a Marine refer to the service uniform as "Class A's".
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Never been in and don't know anything, but:

Whats the problem with wearing the uniform off base? I am not talking out and about, I'm talking to and from work.

For example, wearing our FD uniform when not on duty will earn you a talking too next shift.... but if I'm on the way to or from work and stop at HEB to pick up some milk, no one is going to say anything.

(unless you pull a bone headed maneuver like a co-worker back at A&M who bought a case of beer on his way home in his class C.)

Just to make sure we are on the same page:
class a: collared shirt, badge, etc
class b: polo, etc
class c: shift/station/dept onduty t-shirt

Our local Firefighters wear their class B uniform to and from the station and when out buying food for their station. Marines in their BDUs would be like you stoping for milk in your "turn-out" gear without the helmet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I'm on my way to work, wearing cammies (because that's the uniform of the day), and I need gas, I should pull off to the side of the road, change into Charlies (that I just happen to keep in my car just in case), get gas, change back into cammies (becuase that's the uniform of the day), and then continue on my way to work?

Like I said, it's fucking retarded. It might make sense to a pogue who wears Charlies at their desk, but for anybody else, it's ridiculous. In my four years I don't EVER remember Charlies, or Alphas, or anything else other than cammies being the uniform of the day. When we did put the service uniforms on, it was for an inspection or a ceremony, and as soon as it was over, we changed back into cammies.

Well lets see here. When I was a member of E Co.(Honor Guard) 1/3d US Inf. I'd get up in the morning put on civies go to breakfast, go back to our barracks and change to the UoD say fatiques. We'd do what every duty we had that AM. If some of us wanted to go off base for lunch, we'd change back to civies and eat lunch. Then switch back to the UoD for our PM duties. Those who lived off post had a wall locker in our barracks and would travel to and from the Fort in civies.

When I was in the USNSCC our drills were combined with the local US Navy Reserve unit and we'd travel to and from our drills in either Blues or Whites depending on the time of year. I was in 7 years there then 4 AD and 2 Reserves, I made sure I got my gas and shopping done when I was out of uniform or bought my gas and did my shopping on base.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, Class A's are for soldiers. I don't think I've ever heard a Marine refer to the service uniform as "Class A's".

I hear ya.  I have no problem with being squared away, but some people take it to retarded extremes.  We're at fucking war.  You'd think the new Commandant would have more to worry about than new tattoo regulations and uniform regulations.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think we should wear them out and about, but I do think we should be able to pump gas in it. I guess I can change that rule when I'm the commandant...

Oh yeah, and whoever said "what's wrong with going to and from work in cammies" you still CAN go to and from work but you just can't get out of your car off base.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I distinctly recall these being the uniform regs, for all intents and purposes, when I was last in on AD in the 80's (Yeah, I'm old.).
I can supply the rationale behind the "you will not run around in utilities" regs. I can't speak for the rest of the Corps, but the Marines in my unit either wore coveralls or cammies as duty uniforms. By the end of the day, we were frequently liberally smeared with grease, synthetic aircraft engine oil, dirt and other assorted crap. At the end of the day, the Marines who lived off base would pile into the car and head for the house. Without those regs in place, tired and dirty Marines would be seen picking up diapers, bread and milk for the old lady on the way home.
Despite the fact that Marines are paid for getting dirty and doing nasty jobs, they are still expected to be neatly turned out when appearing in public. A neatly turned out Marine (Or Soldier, Sailor, or Airman, for that matter) inspires confidence and gives an impression of competence, discipline, and professionalism.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Aaaah, what you don't recall is that the BDU/Utility uniform is not a uniform at all.  It's work clothing.  It is not and never had been intended to be used as a uniform, and therefore the Marine Corps doesn't want it to be worn in public.

Same goes for flight suits.  They aren't a uniform either.  When I was "in" we could not wear our flight suits in the vill (that's town).  We didn't have our rank on them either. However we did wear a name tag, that did show our rank.) Nor could we wear those neat leather flight jackets in public (that's just dated me; I was commissioned in 1967.)

In the Air Force flight suits were an item of uniform, and they did wear their rank on them, and they could wear them in public.  

Those utilities get pretty gungy and the Marine Corps does not want to advertise a gungy Marine our among the civilians.  When you pass throught the main gate if you are going to be in public they want you to look like a squared away Marine, and not the mud Marine that all Marines know they really are.

So you can't wear that work uniform in the vill.  It's the Marine Corps way and as all Marines know tradition in that service dies hard.  

All young Marines bitch about it.  All old Marines understand.

I was RIFT'ed from the Corps after the VN War.  I thought that working on the "outside" would be better.  I found that bosses on the outside were much, much, much less qualified to be leaders and much less qualified and trained to be bosses than were the senior NCO's and Officers in the Marine Corps.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top