Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 11:36:30 AM EDT
Hi, a friend of mine gave me a propane refrigerator and TV set out of his old motor home. I was able to light the pilot on the refrigerator and it works fine.
However, there is a little trouble with the reception on the TV. I have hooked the propane and I can get a “good” blue flame on the pilot light but when I attempt to turn up the "burner" the TV has poor reception and there is a lot of snow. I am just using the little 2’ long V shaped antenna that came with the TV.  I don’t know much about these things but the TV is VERY heavy like there is a little generator or something inside. I looked at the TV for a tag but the back of the unit is somewhat rusty and it looks like the tag has rusted off. There seems to be the little pilot light and the burner. I have been lighting it with a kitchen match.

thanks,
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That TV was probably setup to run on natural gas.  Not many backpackers liked the weight of the original propane TV so the factory retrofitted most of them for CNG use.
You can get the kit at [url]www.magictelevision.com[/url]

[rofl]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That original thread was soo funny.  Many people were searching for propane TVs and trying to find out where you get them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I missing somthing here?

Hey I just got my new Propane Cell phone!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You should have posted this in the Survival Forum.

Actually, I prefer white gas myself as it is cleaner than propane. I can't miss any episodes of "Lost World" even while camping. (Jennifer O'Dell hubba hubba).
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
somebody badmouthing God's gas?  well you'll answer for it later buddy.................

propane tv huh?  must have missed out on that one.

propane fridge be a damned handy thing to have in a power outage though, now wouldnt it?  bet my parents had the only working fridge for miles after hurricane celia hit here in the 70s
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is it that when I post a remark about women, the next poster is a woman.

And when I criticize propane, the next poster is a propane salesman?

I have bad posting karma today.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody know where I can buy an ice powered stove?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody know where I can buy an ice powered stove?
View Quote

No but I know a place that has a good deal on:

left handed monkey wrenches
prop wash
100 yards of flight line
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
i know what you mean marvl, and as a propane salesman (damn it, clean_cut)  i'll tell you this......

for all normal, practical purposes, propane or gas to heat, electricity to cool.  propane refridgerators and electric heaters are just freaks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top