Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 7:40:23 AM EDT
just installed xp (home) on a computer here at work and am trying to connect to our NT network- it does not want to connect-it sees all the servers but never gives me a chance to login to the network. HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
cleatus,
    Are all the computers part of the same workgroup?  Are you logging in as an admin?  Give me a little more info and I'll try to help.

toast

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Windows XP HOME edition CANNOT connect to a Domain.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Cleatus

AR15FENCER is correct, Windows XP Home edition cannot connect to an NT domain.  You need the Pro version.

--Don
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I managed to get it to connect to our domain!
Was shitting bricks there for a second.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe XP home is networkable in a domain environment. Were you actually able to add the workstation to the domain and say run login scripts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
might have spoke too soon.  he just called said he cant connect.  Its weird, I just was up there and had access to our server.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Windows XP Home :
Accessing data on a Domain Server

Unlike Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition is NOT able to join a Domain:
(no possibility to define the Domain name in the Properties of your XP Home Edition system )

But you can still access data on a Windows NT4 or Windows 2000 Domain server :

how to configure can be found at
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm

I hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So, they removed functionality that was previously included in Windows 95, 98, Me, and Windows 2000 pro?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top