Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 12:04:52 PM EDT
I've been shooting close to 40 years. I've never been muzzle swept, at least that I know of.

On Thursday, as I was at my rifle range. A guy walked down the line carrying an uncased AR (violation of range rules) without a chamber flag, and swept me with the muzzle as he put the rifle on the bench. He had no clue he was doing anything wrong. I was already packing up, and a buddy of the sweeper showed up who appeared to know what he was doing. I took no action. In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have told a range officer.

Yesterday, I was at a well-attended skeet tournament.  In general, clay shooters seem less muzzle-aware to me than other shooters. There was one older man there with a semi-auto who had no regard whatsoever for where his muzzle was. He swept me twice. In total, he probably swept 20-40 people. Every time I could see it, his bolt was locked back. No one said anything to him. This was a private club where I was a guest. I just kept a close eye on the dude.

How do you folks handle situation like this?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Body armor or somewhere else to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot at a private range.  And by private I mean out back of my house or my brother has a longer rifle range at his house.  Lots of other ranges have better facilities obviously but it isn't worth it to me anymore when experiences like this seem to be the norm now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If someone sweeps me, I tell them politely the 1st time and explain range rules.  The 2nd time, they can pack up and leave!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Immediately report to the range officer. I would rather have the guy give me a dirty look than a bullet in the gut.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't hang out with people that don't obey the firearm safety rules.

I have a privet range. I don't let many people out there. The classes I take have good RSOs. If "Muzzle" is yelled at you twice, they'll toss you out. If someone swept 40 people through the day, they would be asked to leave and unable to take future classes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been shooting close to 40 years. I've never been muzzle swept, at least that I know of.

On Thursday, as I was at my rifle range. A guy walked down the line carrying an uncased AR (violation of range rules) without a chamber flag, and swept me with the muzzle as he put the rifle on the bench. He had no clue he was doing anything wrong. I was already packing up, and a buddy of the sweeper showed up who appeared to know what he was doing. I took no action. In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have told a range officer.

Yesterday, I was at a well-attended skeet tournament.  In general, clay shooters seem less muzzle-aware to me than other shooters. There was one older man there with a semi-auto who had no regard whatsoever for where his muzzle was. He swept me twice. In total, he probably swept 20-40 people. Every time I could see it, his bolt was locked back. No one said anything to him. This was a private club where I was a guest. I just kept a close eye on the dude.

View Quote

Well I don't go to pussy ranges that cry about cases and flags.
In fact the range I go to has zero rules, no RO, and everything goes smoothly. Over 20 years in public use at least, and no injuries or dead.
Don't muzzle sweep, call range cold or hot before doing anything, and it's run absolutely fine without the pussy rules that give people reason to bitch.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
As an RSO at our local range, I want to know when stuff likes this happened.  I talk to the offender and hope that they under stand.  If they seem to have 'no clue' then we go to the class room for some on 'range safety training'!
I have been known for asking people to leave the range and have even refunded fees at times!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
To be honest I'd have corrected him on the spot and suggested he read the range rules, than would have informed an RSO.

That said, there is a reason why I do most of my shooting in my small backyard range these days.  As someone else mentioned I too do not let anyone else back there shooting..
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In fact the range I go to has zero rules, no RO, and everything goes smoothly. Over 20 years in public use at least, and no injuries or dead.
Don't muzzle sweep, call range cold or hot before doing anything, and it's run absolutely fine without the pussy rules that give people reason to bitch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You mean like this?

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEAH BRO YOU TELL EM! YOU'RE SO OPERATOR BRO BE MY FRIEND BRO

BRO
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not everyone is as considerate as you and your range buddies.  Some people have to have rules to tell them what to do, or else they do dumb shit.  Things like flags and keeping things in cases are rules made for that one dumb motherfucker who's going to walk down the line with a round chambered, and the safety off, muzzle sweeping everyone, unless he's told not to.

Think of it as the same way many laws work, while you may not drink and drive because you know it's a not a good idea, another person may not think like you and may need to be told.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to keep your head on a swivel when at a range with other shooters.

The last time I was at the state range, the line went cold and shooters were traveling down range to hang targets etc.

I'm behind the bench, two idiots to my right are finger fucking their AR, the two RSO's present are drinking coffee jawing with each other totally oblivious of what's going on.

I walked over told them what's going on and they are

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I got muzzle swept by a redneck with a 44 magnum at a machine gun shoot , If he would have put the gun down I would have let it go. He insisted on arguing that it was okay as it was a cold range and everyone else was downrange . I grabbed a RO and he was invited to leave
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Do it to me once and you'll get a stern warning. Do it again and I'll bro the f down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

well I don't post on arf about it for one. Frankly  nervous ninnies/drama queens like you drive people away from the activity, The ranges and everything else.remotely risky.  In short people like you are a PITA. Just as bad as the moron worried about a safety of guns in a photo. and akin to people who watch a  VIDEO and complain they are being swept  when the vid was shot 6 months before (for example)  

It all depends upon the circumstance as to what I will do.  loaded gun sure.  I going to be concerned. These circumstances meh..  Never had an ND, Never come even close. Never will in all likelihood

A lot of range rules are full of derp.

the best most safe place I was ever at was the place that ran a hot range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do it to me once and you'll get a stern warning. Do it again and I'll bro the f down.
View Quote

Yeah sure you will
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotta say something to the guy.   I think everyone at the range would appreciate knowing as well, to keep an eye out.   Might save someones life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]

I rarely shoot at ranges anymore.  I am too concerned with what is going on around me at the indoor range.  Too many hood rats, jackasses, and the like.  The rifle range that I used to frequent has too many brass vultures, and the range safety personal get into your gear too and sometimes would be too confrontational.  I take it out to the open dessert now.  I shoot steel targets that come back out with me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

well I don't post on arf about it for one. Frankly  nervous ninnies/drama queens like you drive people away from the activity, The ranges and everything else.remotely risky.  In short people like you are a PITA. Just as bad as the moron worried about a safety of guns in a photo. and akin to people who watch a  VIDEO and complain they are being swept  when the vid was shot 6 months before (for example)  

It all depends upon the circumstance as to what I will do.  loaded gun sure.  I going to be concerned. These circumstances meh..  Never had an ND, Never come even close. Never will in all likelihood

View Quote

YOU may have never had an ND, and you might have great trigger discipline, but that guy down the range who's open carrying his 1911 BBQ gun worries me.

I don't know him, and I don't know how smart he is.

These rules have stood the test of time for a reason.  People are stupid.

Follow the rules...never get hurt.

Don't follow the rules, but you're smart....probably never get hurt.

Don't follow the rules and you're a fucking idiot; someone is gonna get shot.  Maybe not today, but it'll happen.

Personally I think people who share your views on firearms safety are more dangerous than the boneheads just getting into shooting.

You're convinced you're better/smarter than the boneheads and couldn't possibly have an accident.  Those are usually the guys who end up shooting someone and going "how did that happen?"

It's easy....you didn't follow the safety rules.  There IS a reason we still teach them to people.  They work.

To answer the OP:

I have found that politely and calmly explaining the rules and why they are important goes a long way.

Guys and guns is about as macho as it gets.   Men don't want other men telling them they're doing it wrong.

I've had numerous conversations with people unfamiliar with range rules; especially casing/uncasing gun at the line only.

USUALLY it's a positive experience and a SMILE while talking to them goes a long way.

For those who don't want to listen to the rules and think they don't apply, I will simply tell an RO.

If they don't want to listen to the RO, they get tossed.

Getting pissed off or losing your temper with them usually goes south in a hurry.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Overall... Um... No.  

Yes, a lot of range rules are full of derp, namely some fudd driven rapid fire.  But muzzle sweeping is NOT ok.  People are stupid and we only die once.

RULE # 1 for me at every single school from Hunter's Safety to my .mil firearms training was ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION. or similarly quoted DON'T POINT IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall... Um... No.  

Yes, a lot of range rules are full of derp, namely some fudd driven rapid fire.  But muzzle sweeping is NOT ok.  People are stupid and we only die once.

RULE # 1 for me at every single school from Hunter's Safety to my .mil firearms training was ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION. or similarly quoted DON'T POINT IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY.  

You're apparently not Tier 1 Operator status though.

Rules are for Safety Sallies.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Also OP didn't politely explain to the offender what he was doing wrong instead of coming here and bitching?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Open hand bitch slap across the face. Usually breaks them of that bad habit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Having worked as a RSO. I can say that it's not the unloaded guns that bothered me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to go rabbit hunting with my brother-in-law once a year… He would muzzle sweep me every time now I don't go with him anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  You're wrong... This kind of attitude leads to colossal fuck ups.

How many ND's have been followed with, "I thought it was unloaded"?

Seriously... This is one of the most retarded things I've read in awhile.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I would have brought it to his attention..........  

Over a year ago my dad had bought a Remington 1100 at a garage sale. After he cleaned it up he asked me to go with him to range to test it.  When I told him pull, I squeezed on the trigger HARD numerous times and no bang......

My dad being my dad said, WTH did you say pull if you weren't going to shoot?!?  I told him he bought a POS and keeping muzzle in safe direction said look! The POS won't shoot!  I started squeezing trigger when it finally went BANG..... .

When it went bang, my dad and myself seeing there was an issue..... I said, that is why you always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction......  

I don't care if muzzle was flagged safe, you NEVER point a gun in the direction of anything you don't want to shoot...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Cased? Chamber flags? LOLOLOL
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Meh, wait until you have a couple of rookies clearing a building with you.
It happens a lot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Dear god... Context ?  Action open, closed ? End of session..no way to place in case without sweeping someone somewhere because of the way the range tables are set up. Open action.. unintended sweep...? Finger on trigger or not ?
Most of you would not last 2 weeks in a LGS. Several loaded firearms pointed right at my chest over the years...step up and take responsibile measures on your own without the fucking drama. A half step left or right or a slight body twist usually takes you out of danger.
If the shit is going to happen you won't see it anyway.  Nothing like standing behind the counter talking with a customer holding his 30-06 hunting rifle he just brought in for repair and having him shoot a hole through the roof...not to mention not being able to hear for 2 days.
Just be aware as best you can and look at each incident within a reasonable context. Unless the person is just acting like a complete moron leave your drama at home...or just stay there if the range gives you the willies...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It happens a lot.
View Quote

Don't even get me started on turning around having a muzzle pointed at me
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It happens a lot.

Hard not to slap someone huh?
Then again, they are just kids. Somebody has to teach them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#34]
These days, EVERYONE is looking for something to be offended about.

I guess if you can't claim to be a victim of discrimination, sexism, stereotyping, hate speech, disrespect, profiling or micro-aggression, having a gun inadvertently pointed in your general direction will have to suffice...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It happens a lot.

A 21yo pointing a gun at your back?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm all about range safety and the need for a set standard of rules but I'm more likely to die in an auto accident on a two lane highway.  

That being said, I've RO'd at 3gun matches where I was constantly getting muzzle swept when unloaded rifle/shotgun was being unslung or shooters where prone with loaded (cond 1) handgun holstered and people standing behind shooter and it was OK by the match director.  Then at the same match if someone broke the 180 with an unloaded weapon at some other point they'd get DQ'd.  

Personally, I would rather inspect your bore from the chamber end.

I'm not perfect, so my apologies to anyone I've inadvertently muzzle swept  with an empty weapon in the last 40 years.

For those who were seeing my muzzle and it was loaded then you're lucky you're still alive.  (I've only done this in the line of duty.)

Old Marine
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah sure you will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah sure you will

careful there....he's a serious badass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Open hand bitch slap across the face. Usually breaks them of that bad habit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Never worked in a gunshop obviously...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Cant tell you how many experienced shooters, Veterans, cops etc. Shot their buddy or themselves or their kids with a unloaded weapon. Seen way to many in the ER. Only occasionaly do you get to see a gunshot wound that someone actually meant to create. Matter of fact never had a newbie shoot himself. its always those of us who are experienced and know better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like a regular Saturday at the family farm. There's a lecture involved, but I usually okay with it if I'm the one buying (ammo, that means I know who has what).
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I think some people go to the range and just look for shit to cry about.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I see people doing it at gunshops all the time, I just try to steer clear of them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I did once with a loaded hunting rifle. Got my ass chewed deservedly and vowed to never do it again
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I used to go rabbit hunting with my brother-in-law once a year… He would muzzle sweep me every time now I don't go with him anymore.
View Quote

Sounds familiar.  I used to go deer hunting with my father until he muzzle swept me with a Rem 700 308 with a round chambered and safety off.  Some people are just not teachable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
They'll never know they fucked up if you don't tell them.

That said, requiring weapons be cased is a bit draconian. I don't even own cases for the vast majority of my guns. I'm also smart enough to not point them at other people at the range, though, so what do I know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top