BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2004 9:37:28 PM EDT
no good motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had asthma when i was about 8 fucking years old

now, at 24 i get tight in the chest about twice a friggin year, DAMNED sure not debilitating and certainly not anything that kept me from playing football or anything else physically demanding which would include the military

but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, uncle sam doesn't fucking want me because i've got asthma, and apparently doesn't want a whole HELL of a lot of guys for the same reason judging by some threads on this board

im not the boy in a plastic fucking bubble........................i don't swell up when i encounter dirt or any other such horseshit.  i bust my ass at work digging ditch, running equipment, setting tanks, you fucking name it, but i can't join the military.  horseshit if you ask me.

and i can't even lie about it because apparently i'd be falsifying gov't documents.......................

fight the good fight for me guys, mom won't let me come out and play...........................

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck it.. lie.

If I had a DQ that didn't require me to stick myself with a needle every day, I would.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya, but willing to go is good enough in my book. Plenty of healthy young men out there that won't go and would likely dodge the draft if the time came.

Having asthma would make you a serious liabilty in combat, but I see no reason you couldn't serve in another capacity stateside.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
EvilDead, a new member of this board has the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
join the airforce and don't tell them about any medical problems you have that doesn't bother you.h.gif
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you already WRITE DOWN with them that you have asthma?

If you didnt, lie your ass off. It is the best way. they cant search medical records due to privacy agreements and laws.

If you did, I will do twice as hard in the USN for you(and the other who couldnt go) when I go.

Good luck either way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fuck it.. lie.

If I had a DQ that didn't require me to stick myself with a needle every day, I would.

What MMcCall said.

Lie.  If you're not a threat to yourself or others in an bad situation, why not.  What could they do... kick you out?  I'd prefer someone who wanted to be there with a problem than someone who made up a problem to try and get out.

Make sure you have an inhaler or whatever is required "Just in case".  You've got lots of pockets in those cammies.    Do not tell anyone (until you're out) -  priest, preacher, doctor, psychiatric, best friend, girl friend etc.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The recruiters tell you to lie - but they never told you to lie.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Sit down and drink another beer BUBBLE BOY!

Not telling you to lie (by omission or comission), but, uh...I know a few family members/acquaintances that were less then 100% truthful about their age, physical condition, etc... and served with honor. That was not the course that I took, but you wouldn't be the first or the last one to take action as the result of your conscience in spite of adminsitrative obstacles. Also, there are other ways to serve - emt, ems, ff, Red Cross, cert, etc...

America needs more bubble boys just like you
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah, because asthma is a liability. that's why they dont let people in with it.

that is a non-waiverable issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Just do what it takes to get in.  You'll be amazed at what is tolerated once your IN the service, getting there has become more difficult, but keep at it.  

I don't recall anyone going to Capn's Mast over lying about asthma, but I do remember a shipmate who got the boot over his sleepwalking.

You damn sure don't want to lie about any past transgressions because when you file your paperwork for your security clearance (if you need one) they WILL verfiy EVERYTHING and your stories better jive.

Good luck  bro and keep us posted on your progress......
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i cant believe how many of you are encouraging him to lie.

you would be surprised what type of environments you will be in which might affect your asthma. what happens if you have a massive asthma attack at the wrong time/place? you will put the rest of your team/squad at risk and in danger and make things harder on them if they have to carry your ass/gear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
You sure get fucking uptight alot.

And I for one am tired of it!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
same problem.

My dads retired navy, so I got all my health care at military hospitals.  They KNOW I had asthma so theres really no point in even trying is there?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, bro...I respect you and all, but what happens if it hits at the wrong time? Some good people can die...

Would you be able to live with yourself???
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

you would be surprised what type of environments you will be in which might affect your asthma. what happens if you have a massive asthma attack at the wrong time/place? you will put the rest of your team/squad at risk and in danger and make things harder on them if they have to carry your ass/gear.

Some of us know ourselves better than a stranger with a degree.....and we know what we can handle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
In case some people forget, if they discover you have asthma during your terms they will fix you up. They dont find out you have asmtha half-way through and just dump your ass(last I checked). They will give you an inhaler and let you on your way.

Yes we are encouraging him to "lie". This country is built on our calling to be...disobedient... for what we feel is better than what our current government says. He knows himself and if he feels he can make it then who cares?

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In case some people forget, if they discover you have asthma during your terms they will fix you up. They dont find out you have asmtha half-way through and just dump your ass(last I checked). They will give you an inhaler and let you on your way.

Yes we are encouraging him to "lie". This country is built on our calling to be...disobedient... for what we feel is better than what our current government says. He knows himself and if he feels he can make it then who cares?

umm...if by 'fix you up' you mean med board you out of the military.

what kind of shitty reasoning is that to lie and potentially put other lives in jeopardy because of that? give me a break.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In

You are a sorry sack of shit. I.O.U 1 beer!

Remember, they couldn't draft me. I enlisted!

Fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
You can outgrow asthma, you know.. my sister almost died from it when she was 3, now you'd never know she ever had it.. no attacks, 100% lung capacity, etc. It sounds like that's his case too, so there's no reason not to work around that shit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not saying he should if he is having attacks still and will get himself and many other seriously fucked up, but look at the actual circumstances:

Tight in the chest(after physical strain), no attacks for who knows how long.

Willing to go into the military and accept his responsibility to do his duty despite his knowledge.

By all means dont insult in the name of your tight-assedness. We need more people enthusiastic like him. If he knows he can do it, then I believe him.

Piccolo: I dont know whether that is praise or attack, but I will take that beer either way!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you have recurring athsma and certain triggers set off an athsmatic event then you potentially are a danger to your fellow troops in combat.

exactly.

you never know when, where, or what might set it off. it's too much of a liability. they aren't saying NO just to be dicks. there is a reason behind it.

i just can't believe how many unscrupulous people there are posting on this thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Tight in the chest and asthma attacks are different. Hell I get tight in the chest sometimes if a little muscle gets pulled or something and it happens once or twice every 6 months. No biggie.

Sorry for the hijack but some things must be said...

There is no intention to have a debilitated asthmatic running around in our services but if he is fine and hasnt had real problems for 16 years, I cannot say he shouldnt be allowed to join.

They arent trying to be dicks but they are far from understanding as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you have recurring athsma and certain triggers set off an athsmatic event then you potentially are a danger to your fellow troops in combat.

exactly.

you never know when, where, or what might set it off. it's too much of a liability. they aren't saying NO just to be dicks. there is a reason behind it.

i just can't believe how many unscrupulous people there are posting on this thread.

Puhleesssee!

Just like the assholes that go to sick call when they can't hang, or profile riders, or sad sacks, or those that can't make the mission, etc... you would rather have them next to you in formation, or even better, on the line then someone who wants it, probably as much if not more than everyone else and can bring it.

I understand the sentiment and the logic, but Uncle Sam loves to try to get rid of those that should be there and hold on to those that should not be there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly.

Puhleesssee!

Just like the assholes that go to sick call when they can't hang, or profile riders, or sad sacks, or those that can't make the mission, etc... you would rather have them next to you in formation, or even better, on the line then someone who wants it, probably as much if not more than everyone else and can bring it.

I understand the sentiment and the logic, but Uncle Sam loves to try to get rid of those that should be there and hold on to those that should not be there.

yeah, and all of those listed are shitbag soldiers. they don't go anywhere, prmotion wise, unless they are females, of course.

but why add any more liability?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly.

Puhleesssee!

yeah, and all of those listed are shitbag soldiers. they don't go anywhere, prmotion wise, unless they are females, of course.

but why add any more liability?

I hear you man!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you honestly saying you would rather have a shithead going nowhere soldier than a soldier who had an early childhood with asthma but is alright now and wants to be there?

Holy hell its worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

"now, at 24 i get tight in the chest about twice a friggin year, DAMNED sure not debilitating and certainly not anything that kept me from playing football or anything else physically demanding which would include the military "

It doesn't sound like it's even an issue anymore.  Are you and poink even reading his entire post before jumping on the "you'd be a threat to the wellbeing of your fellow warriors" bandwagon?  

Really... If the asthma is not a problem anymore (yes it can go away), then why not?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Isn't their an expression in the services "where their is a will their is a waiver" you'll probably never be combat arms though.   Twice a year or not to anyone else in your unit it could be considered a liability.  Hats off to you for wanting serve though.

Best of luck either way,

Matt
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree the standard medical screening methodology is wanting, though I respect the theory behind it. In practice,however, I think the mil. is shooting itself in the foot in the long-term. There's already bitching about not enough people to do the job, & I think the disqualification is starting to hit a certain level of unrealistic nit-picking, damn near to the point of being rather eugenic in nature. I wanted to have lasik surgery so I could qualify to try for the MOS's that my ASVAB would allow - which was anything (I did well ). Unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards by their rules. Whenever I see reports about the brass wringing its hands for not having sufficient personnel, I have to admit, I don't really feel for them. You wanted it, you got it. So deal w/ it.

Let it go, Red. You're in a crowded boat. Do your best in your endeavors, & don't look back. Considering the nature & (un)motivation of many recruits I'd seen - it's the military's loss more than it is yours.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"now, at 24 i get tight in the chest about twice a friggin year, DAMNED sure not debilitating and certainly not anything that kept me from playing football or anything else physically demanding which would include the military "

It doesn't sound like it's even an issue anymore.  Are you and poink even reading his entire post before jumping on the "you'd be a threat to the wellbeing of your fellow warriors" bandwagon?  

Really... If the asthma is not a problem anymore (yes it can go away), then why not?  

I wonder if he's sat in a room filled with CS gas.

I say that'd be a very good test.  Make him take off the gas mask and sing the Marine Corps Hymn!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#34]
They won't let you in because if something strange were to happen if they let you in...  Uncle Sam would have to pay for it...  For the rest of your life.  It's all about the bling bling myf riend.

Dg84
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Go sign up and don't sweat it.  My pal's brother had/has asthma; he kept his mouth shut, and joined the Marines.  Now he is an E-7, w/ the creepy "I can't tell you about it..." jobs.

Many high-speed joes have lied to get into uniform and performed brilliantly.

Cheers

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:36:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
now, at 24 i get tight in the chest about twice a friggin year, DAMNED sure not debilitating and certainly not anything that kept me from playing football or anything else physically demanding which would include the military
but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, uncle sam doesn't fucking want me because i've got asthma, and apparently doesn't want a whole HELL of a lot of guys for the same reason judging by some threads on this board
im not the boy in a plastic fucking bubble........................i don't swell up when i encounter dirt or any other such horseshit.  i bust my ass at work digging ditch, running equipment, setting tanks, you fucking name it, but i can't join the military.  horseshit if you ask me.
and i can't even lie about it because apparently i'd be falsifying gov't documents.......................
fight the good fight for me guys, mom won't let me come out and play...........................

My father memorized the eye chart (legally blind in one eye) to get in WW II.  People lied to get out of the draft in my day; I can't see why lying to get in now would make you a criminal.
(Thanks for trying, anyway !)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Tx, sorry to hear about your asthma, and I'm even sorrier to hear that you're one of the good guys who WANTS to be in the military.  Somebody said to go USAF and lie about it....not a good idea.

The thing that most people don't understand is that basic training (any branch) is designed to put your mind and body under stress like you've never felt before.  The AF basic is in San Antonio--dust, pollen, mold, physical exertion and sleep deprivation will kick off all kinds of physical and mental problems that wouldn't normally be a problem in your life, and there's no guarantee we'll have medical care available if/when it happens.  Personally, I don't and WON'T tell anyone to lie about this because I don't want anyone dropping dead on my drill pad--I have a quota, but it isn't worth having someone's death on my concience.

Here's the problem about 'forgetting' to tell us about asthma--US Criminal Code Title 18, Section 1001 states that fraudulent enlistment can be punished with a $10,000 fine and/or 5 yrs in prison.  If you have an asthma attack during basic training, the first thing the military will do is subpeona your civilian medical records.  (we're allowed to do this because you sign the 2807-2 form; Medical History Report and it has the release of information authorization at the bottom of page 3)  When the military finds out that you have a history of asthma, the BEST you can hope for is to be kicked out with an entry level discharge, fraudulent enlistment code, which isn't exactly a federal conviction, but it will seriously jeopardize any federal education assistance and can keep you out of any federal civilian jobs.
Lot's of people have omitted parts of their medical history and gone on to have a career in the military, but our regulations prohibit us from taking people who don't fit our standards.  If I was in your shoes, I would get all my medical records together and request a methacoline challenge.  (asthma test)  If you pass the test, your recruiter will send your packet up to the Surgeon General for waiver consideration--so, there's still some hope for a military career.

Now for my personal response to your rant.  I understand that you're frustrated and disappointed, but you need to grow up and start seeing that there's more to it than just your wants/desires.  It isn't the military's fault that you were dealt a shitty hand and don't fit the mold for military service.  Don't blame the service for something that nobody has control over, and understand that if you still have a medical issue, YOU are a liability that we can't take a chance on.  If you can't join, at least you tried, and I thank you for that    

Sincerely,

Technical Sgt Ron Albert, USAF Recruiter
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You shouldn't have said anything, then.

(maybe, subconsciously, you wanted an out...)

I have a Marine with asthma.
I keep telling him that he doesn't have asthma, that he should NEVER mention it again, unless he wants to get out.
If he drops on a run, and can't breath, he says, "I'm weak, sir".
"That's right, son.  You just need to run more."

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I developed an allergy to iodine while I was in the Army. I was never tested, but I had moderate reactions a couple of occasions. I wanted to serve so I kept my mouth shut for the next 9 years while I was in the reserves. I kept an epipen handy and told the guys on my team to not let the medics use any iodine if I got incapacitated.

I don't know of anyone who has come into the military with asthma. I know one who developed it at about the 10 year mark while on AD. She's still around, but in a  non-deployable (instructor) slot.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

He cant see past the selfishness. Its all about ME ME ME.

The rule is in place for a VERY good reason.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#41]
From my past expeirence, you might have some problems down the road under certain circumstances in certain enviorments.   Play it safe with your health and your life.  Not all of us are cut out to be Delta Force or SEALS.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if he's sat in a room filled with CS gas.

not to bust balls,but was thinking that myself.I dont have asthma but after taking off the mask and having to say my social security number before going out I thought I would never be able to breath againgood ol fort lost in the woods
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
yeah, because asthma is a liability. that's why they dont let people in with it.

that is a non-waiverable issue.

This is not exactly a true statement. Depends on how old you were when you had symptoms.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Don’t ask... don’t tell

My brother went in to the military he had asthma as a kid, he served in the 1st Gulf War with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Tx, sorry to hear about your asthma, and I'm even sorrier to hear that you're one of the good guys who WANTS to be in the military.  Somebody said to go USAF and lie about it....not a good idea.

The thing that most people don't understand is that basic training (any branch) is designed to put your mind and body under stress like you've never felt before.  The AF basic is in San Antonio--dust, pollen, mold, physical exertion and sleep deprivation will kick off all kinds of physical and mental problems that wouldn't normally be a problem in your life, and there's no guarantee we'll have medical care available if/when it happens.  Personally, I don't and WON'T tell anyone to lie about this because I don't want anyone dropping dead on my drill pad--I have a quota, but it isn't worth having someone's death on my concience.

Here's the problem about 'forgetting' to tell us about asthma--US Criminal Code Title 18, Section 1001 states that fraudulent enlistment can be punished with a $10,000 fine and/or 5 yrs in prison.  If you have an asthma attack during basic training, the first thing the military will do is subpeona your civilian medical records.  (we're allowed to do this because you sign the 2807-2 form; Medical History Report and it has the release of information authorization at the bottom of page 3)  When the military finds out that you have a history of asthma, the BEST you can hope for is to be kicked out with an entry level discharge, fraudulent enlistment code, which isn't exactly a federal conviction, but it will seriously jeopardize any federal education assistance and can keep you out of any federal civilian jobs.
Lot's of people have omitted parts of their medical history and gone on to have a career in the military, but our regulations prohibit us from taking people who don't fit our standards.  If I was in your shoes, I would get all my medical records together and request a methacoline challenge.  (asthma test)  If you pass the test, your recruiter will send your packet up to the Surgeon General for waiver consideration--so, there's still some hope for a military career.

Now for my personal response to your rant.  I understand that you're frustrated and disappointed, but you need to grow up and start seeing that there's more to it than just your wants/desires.  It isn't the military's fault that you were dealt a shitty hand and don't fit the mold for military service.  Don't blame the service for something that nobody has control over, and understand that if you still have a medical issue, YOU are a liability that we can't take a chance on.  If you can't join, at least you tried, and I thank you for that    

Sincerely,

Excellent response!  And just where in this little lie would the concepts of "honor", "integrity", and "service" fit in?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He cant see past the selfishness. Its all about ME ME ME.

The rule is in place for a VERY good reason.

As a medic who has treated closet asthmatics, it sucks. Ever have a guy who hid his asthman history turn blue on you during a run, ways away from any decent help?

Ha ha, not so funny now.

I even had a guy hide Crohn's disease from his original enlistment package, only to have it come raging back on an out CONUS deployment, in a teeny shithole of a country. That sucked too.

I feel bad for those that can't get in, and even thought it was admirable for those that snuck in until I was treating and carrying their asses a few miles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#47]
When I was in college in ROTC, I had a friend who was barred from enlisting because he was color blind... so he went to college, got into ROTC, and was commissioned Regular Army Infantry branch.  He was airborne, air assault, and his first command was in the 101st (this was back in 92, he'd be a major by now).

If you want to serve...

Can you get a doctor to sign off on a waiver?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I understand that you're frustrated and disappointed, but you need to grow up and start seeing that there's more to it than just your wants/desires.
Sincerely,

I thought youse all growed up all ready.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I even had a guy hide Crohn's disease from his original enlistment package, only to have it come raging back on an out CONUS deployment, in a teeny shithole of a country.

Uhh...CONUS = Continental United States does not = "teeny shithole of a county."  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top