Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:18:40 AM EDT
sorry to post this in this forum

I have been thinking about a  guide gun and came across classic version locally.  I see  that the stock is a bit different and the  bbl.  is 22" instead of  18.5".  I don't mind those two differences, but I do wonder if the action on the classic is built to take the same punishment as the popular guide gun.

The store has two of them and they are going for 429.00  each which I think is a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought the Classic had a longer barrel, and was able to carry one more round of .47-50 goodness..and those were the only differences?

Action-wise, all the actions are the same...

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
so I shouldn't regret  getting  this one  on a deal rather  than the guide gun?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Not at all
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 1895 Classic and it is a great rifle. You are right, the only difference between the Classic annd the Guide Gun is that the Classic has a longer barrel and a pistol grip stock vs. the straight stock of the Guide Gun. Both hold 4 rounds in the magazine. The older Guide Guns were ported and those were not a lot of fun to shoot, but my understanding is that they are not porting them now.

Mine has accounted for a bunch of nasty Texas hogs over the years. The .45-70 round sure puts them down and out fast!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not at all

Had a Marlin 1895 since 1979. Everything I've shot with it goes one direction. Down. No problems with factory ammo.

Highly recommended. It will do its part if you do yours.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the bore for the type of rifling, some of those Marlins in .45-70 had what they call
micro-grooving, (many lands and grooves) and some had Ballard? grooves (about six to eight).
Micro-g is supposed to be good for jacketed bullets and not so good for lead cast bullets.
The idea was to make lever actions more accurate with factory hunting ammo.
Ballard is supposed to be big (tall) square grooves good for grabbing lead slugs.
Will it make a difference on minute of whitetail or bear?? Do you plan to reload?? YMMV.

Edit: looks like from the Marlinfirearms site that they
aren't pushing micro-grooves any more on the bigbores.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Edit: looks like from the Marlinfirearms site that they
aren't pushing micro-grooves any more on the bigbores.

Probably due to wanting to sell lots of them to the SASS cowboy action shooters for the long range matches which require lead bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top