Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2014 8:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:55:53 PM EDT by dalle0001]
So I acquired a lot of new handguns and rifle. I started off with a nice 1720 pelican that can fit everything with a gun sock. No cut out, just foams from top to bottom to protect it.

Over the years, I acquired some new gear and as such my pelican case is now really messy with some handguns stacking on top of each other. Is this safe to do? As in it would bend or otherwise damage the firearm? My guess is that there might be scratches and stuff but the sock will protect from that. Only concern is the padding might bend something.

Anyone got a really messy/cluttered pelican case?

Also, no safe and probably won't ever buy one. I got a evadry and gun sock and it's been working for years. Keep it in the closet and thus far after a few years haven't had any rust issues. Got a lock on it and got it chained to a well placed item. It's not going anywhere without some tools to cut it.

Edit: I should also add that I rarely move it. To get to the range, I got my range bag. I have the pelican to move around in easily in case I have to. But otherwise it's stationary for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:32:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:32:58 PM EDT
Nice of you to put all your guns in one box for the burglars.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:33:39 PM EDT
... putting guns on top of each other will not bend them, unless one is heavy enough to actually bend metal or very strong polymer.

if you are against safes look at a gun cabinet, they can be had for under $200
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:36:48 PM EDT
Assuming they break the chain, lock, and be able to do it while the alarm is ringing, I think I am safe. If they manage to get away with it, assuming they know where to look in a pretty big area, I would take it out to the car for them.

In any event, even with a safe, couldn't they just pick up the safe and leave with it? I would guess that a safe is easier to spot. In any event, the problem isn't a safe or not.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 8:39:49 PM EDT by dalle0001]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Digitalpower:
... putting guns on top of each other will not bend them, unless one is heavy enough to actually bend metal or very strong polymer.

if you are against safes look at a gun cabinet, they can be had for under $200
View Quote

Okay I guess I shall find out here after a while. Hopefully the foam will allow for it to be tight but not crushing tight.

I'll probably get uncomfortable after a while and attempt to find alternatives or just get the cabinet or another pelican.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:40:59 PM EDT
Fucking 13..
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:41:57 PM EDT
just buy another case

Jesus
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:42:01 PM EDT
Sounds like you need a safe
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:42:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:
Fucking 13..
View Quote

QFTMFT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:07:14 PM EDT by RJeff21]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Assuming they break the chain, lock, and be able to do it while the alarm is ringing, I think I am safe. If they manage to get away with it, assuming they know where to look in a pretty big area, I would take it out to the car for them.

In any event, even with a safe, couldn't they just pick up the safe and leave with it? I would guess that a safe is easier to spot. In any event, the problem isn't a safe or not.
View Quote

A proper safe is usually too heavy to move (size dependent) and even if it is light enough to be carried it should be anchored to something. Someone tossing your house in a burglary is going to find that Pelican case, guaranteed.

ETA: Go visit the safe forum, you obviously have zero experience in this arena and it's showing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:22:02 PM EDT by dalle0001]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

A proper safe is usually too heavy to move (size dependent) and even if it is light enough to be carried it should be anchored to something. Someone tossing your house in a burglary is going to find that Pelican case, guaranteed.

ETA: Go visit the safe forum, you obviously have zero experience in this arena and it's showing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Alright, so I have lived in this house that did get broken into. Each inch of the house was tossed by the burglar. My guns were completely safe and unfound in this attempt. The only things that were taken were whatever was visible and a few things in the closets.

Given that I was gone for a long time and the amount of stuff taken, the burglar came in multiple times, probably and even used a laundry basket/suitcases to carry out the goods. I was really surprised the guns weren't taken and untouched. It lead me to believe that my method of hiding it was effective enough. The amount of damage I suffered was close to 6k worth. Thankfully I have insurance. The really funny thing here is the suitcase he/she grabbed to carry out goods were very near where I had the pelican case.

The only upgrade I made since this attack was getting an alarm and security door installed. Nothing has happened since.

But yeah I guess only one person actually attempted to answer my question. I guess that's what I get for asking for public opinion and I guess in the end I should just go with my guts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:21:36 PM EDT
I smell a familiar smell...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:25:15 PM EDT
View Quote

Not sure what you mean? Is this some sort of joke that goes around the forum? In any event I guess this is a way for people to not answer serious questions.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:39:37 PM EDT by DuraToTheMax]

Not sure what you mean? Is this some sort of joke that goes around the forum? In any event I guess this is a way for people to not answer serious questions.
View All Quotes

Benefit of the doubt answer:

You can get a decent safe for well under $1k. If you like owning guns, want to keep your guns and plan on buying more, it's a necessary investment. Your house has been robbed before? You're an idiot if you don't buy one, or think a home security system will keep your shit safe while you're gone. Home alarms regularly go off for multiple reasons other than forced entry, so much so that they're very low priority for police. My neighbor had one, came out of my garage one morning around 9 to it sounding off, walked over and shut her front door for her. Was working on my truck around 4pm when the PD showed up.

Buy a safe, rest easy. People might find your safe, but they won't find your guns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:38:50 PM EDT
Maybe we don't understand the point of a pelican if you are just going to stack them in there. If they are handguns, use the factory cases?? I'm a bit confused myself.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:38:58 PM EDT
13ers being 13ers
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT by dalle0001]

You can get a decent safe for well under $1k. If you like owning guns, want to keep your guns and plan on buying more, it's a necessary investment. Your house has been robbed before? You're an idiot if you don't buy one, or think a home security system will keep your shit safe while you're gone. Home alarms regularly go off for multiple reasons other than forced entry, so much so that they're very low priority for police. My neighbor had one, came out of my garage one morning around 9 to it sounding off, walked over and shut her front door for her. Was working on my truck around 4pm when the PD showed up.

Buy a safe, rest easy. People might find your safe, but they won't find your guns.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the advice. May I ask where in my answer did you think I was joking or that this was a joke? I'm a bit curious how this topic got completely derailed. Maybe I should have just asked the same question differently?

Little surprised that a simple question leads to a problem of an entire generation of people... ??
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:43:51 PM EDT

Alright, so I have lived in this house that did get broken into. Each inch of the house was tossed by the burglar. My guns were completely safe and unfound in this attempt. The only things that were taken were whatever was visible and a few things in the closets.

Given that I was gone for a long time and the amount of stuff taken, the burglar came in multiple times, probably and even used a laundry basket/suitcases to carry out the goods. I was really surprised the guns weren't taken and untouched. It lead me to believe that my method of hiding it was effective enough. The amount of damage I suffered was close to 6k worth. Thankfully I have insurance. The really funny thing here is the suitcase he/she grabbed to carry out goods were very near where I had the pelican case.

The only upgrade I made since this attack was getting an alarm and security door installed. Nothing has happened since.

But yeah I guess only one person actually attempted to answer my question. I guess that's what I get for asking for public opinion and I guess in the end I should just go with my guts.
View All Quotes

Dude, its not that only one person attempted to answer your question. You only got one answer that didn't critique your current method of firearm safekeeping. Not the same thing.

There are lots of people on here who have a vast combined experience level that really can't be rivaled anywhere. We're not going to steer you wrong and it's safe to say if the general consensus is you should change your game plan, chances are, you should change it.

If you don't want to hear it, then dont come ask the question.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT by dalle0001]

Dude, its not that only one person attempted to answer your question. You only got one answer that didn't critique your current method of firearm safekeeping. Not the same thing.

There are lots of people on here who have a vast combined experience level that really can't be rivaled anywhere. We're not going to steer you wrong and it's safe to say if the general consensus is you should change your game plan, chances are, you should change it.

View All Quotes

So calling people names and saying, "I don't understand why you just don't do X" is somehow answering the question with your vast knowledge? I'm sorry not a single thing answered here was actually anything informative. I haven't read a single post here and thought to myself, "Wow that was informative, I was sure wrong about that." Instead I got made fun of and somehow someone thinks an entire generation of people are to blame.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:47:05 PM EDT

So calling people names and saying, "I don't understand why you just don't do X" is somehow answering the question with your vast knowledge? I'm sorry not a single thing answered here was actually anything informative. I haven't read a single post here and thought to myself, "Wow that was informative, I was sure wrong about that." Instead I got made fun of and somehow someone thinks an entire generation of people are to blame.
View Quote

I rescind my "benefit of the doubt answer".

IBNC
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:49:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:51:15 PM EDT by dalle0001]

IBNC
View All Quotes

IBNC

Alright, hopefully this topic will close. I just don't get how after 10 posts or so of generation bashing and calling names somehow informative. Hopefully this topic will be deleted. I'll ask another day when hopefully more people who know how to answer a question can come on.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised something about bad health and brain cancer didn't appear. But I guess that's reserved for page 2.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:53:00 PM EDT

Alright, hopefully this topic will close. I just don't get how after 10 posts or so of generation bashing and calling names somehow informative. Hopefully this topic will be deleted. I'll ask another day when hopefully more people who know how to answer a question can come on.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised something about bad health and brain cancer didn't appear. But I guess that's reserved for page 2.
View All Quotes

IBNC

Welcome to GD.....change the title to 'lock this thread' and your wish might be granted.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:54:57 PM EDT
Jeez dude, you asked if foam and plastic would bend metal. Think about that for a second. Then someone pointed out a really obvious and simple solution to your "problem" - buy another case. The rest of us were more concerned about the safety and responsibility of your storage method. A concern that you validated when you said your place had already been robbed once. Do whatever you want, but don't be surprised when people are baffled by it and concerned about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 9:59:32 PM EDT by dalle0001]
Originally Posted By azeppelinfan:

Welcome to GD.....change the title to 'lock this thread' and your wish might be granted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azeppelinfan:

IBNC

Thanks man. Hopefully they'll just delete it. I'll go ask in another forum. I also reported myself.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:57:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GomerPyle:
Jeez dude, you asked if foam and plastic would bend metal. Think about that for a second. Then someone pointed out a really obvious and simple solution to your "problem" - buy another case. The rest of us were more concerned about the safety and responsibility of your storage method. A concern that you validated when you said your place had already been robbed once. Do whatever you want, but don't be surprised when people are baffled by it and concerned about it.
View Quote

Yeah I guess I should get another one. I don't think they actually said there was a concern about the safe. The one guy kept talking about a smell he smells like he's playing The Rock on wwf while another guy kept quoting him. Thinking of which, that's exactly like what it reminded me of like in that movie with Adam Sandler where he called that wrestling hotline and got laughed at.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:59:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
IBTL.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 10:03:44 PM EDT by dalle0001]

Ha, okay I saved that imagine. I will await for other topics to appear and then use that. It should be pretty good to see what all this 13er is about. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of joke going around here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:05:38 PM EDT
I wonder if OP didn't realize he was in GD, instead of one of the more serious......Safe sections of the forum?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:07:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bigtwin:
I wonder if OP didn't realize he was in GD, instead of one of the more serious......Safe sections of the forum?
View Quote

Yeah I didn't know there was a safe section. I'm kinda "new" to the forum so I guess I'll have to explore around.

See that was a useful post!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:10:04 PM EDT

Yeah I didn't know there was a safe section. I'm kinda "new" to the forum so I guess I'll have to explore around.

View All Quotes

Say, do you favor a tall riser for an optic mount on your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:12:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By leatherface_y2k:

View All Quotes

Why yes, I see you used the search function.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:14:43 PM EDT

View All Quotes

No. No need to search.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:14:49 PM EDT
Lulz .......
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:15:34 PM EDT
I'm here for the gang bang.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT

No. No need to search.
View All Quotes

No. No need to search.

Haha
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:16:03 PM EDT
Pelican is best box. Big plastic, mucho carry, bendy gun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 10:17:27 PM EDT by Smashy]

View Quote

Wait... you think it would be easier for a burglar to just pick up a safe and leave with it, rather than pick up a Pelican case and leave with it?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:17:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SIASL:
View Quote

Can I get fried rice with that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:17:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smashy:

Wait... you think it would be easier for a burglar to just pick up a safe and leave with it, rather than pick up a pelican case and leave with it?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Smashy:

Wait... you think it would be easier for a burglar to just pick up a safe and leave with it, rather than pick up a pelican case and leave with it?

Even with it chained and locked down? That be kind hard to break it from the bar it's attached to. Then again what do I know? There are experts here who knows stuff....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:18:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 10:19:31 PM EDT by SIASL]

View All Quotes

Poke, shimp, oh happy famwy?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:19:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 10:22:53 PM EDT by dalle0001]

View All Quotes

Can I get the number 5 with shrimp and you know the happy ending.

Ha, that reminds me of this...

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:20:34 PM EDT

View All Quotes

You have no clue, do you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:20:57 PM EDT

View All Quotes

GREAT QUESTION!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:21:11 PM EDT
Ibtl?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:21:27 PM EDT
In before the lock, beotch!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:21:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NineLivez:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NineLivez:

Evidently not... or maybe concidently I did talk about risers in another topic. I suppose it's some sort of sexual innuendos? Is that a generation problem? Sorry I'm getting a bit old on these things.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:22:27 PM EDT
ibtl
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top