BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my BMW dealership makes it part of their service agreement that I "completely" remove my dashcam and take with me  

I joke if they had something to hide and they didn't even laugh or smile. 
View Quote
Ze Germans do not find your attempt at humor amusing. Zey vill let you know when ze car is ready for ze picking up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you find the deer vagina yet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ze Germans do not find your attempt at humor amusing. Zey vill let you know when ze car is ready for ze picking up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my BMW dealership makes it part of their service agreement that I "completely" remove my dashcam and take with me  

I joke if they had something to hide and they didn't even laugh or smile. 
Germans.

They don't do humor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe they fucked a bunch of hookers  and did a bunch of blow before your oil change.

That's my guess
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dash cam must have been causing a current draw. They fixed it for you.
View Quote
i took a car in to have a side skirt replaced
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always unplug them.  Sorry, not sorry.   Techs are interesting people...  There is a reason that the service writer position exists.  And I'll just leave it at that.  
View Quote
If there is 1 job that should be replaced by Robots, that's it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I could give a fuck about jack asses and their dash cams. I turn them off.

When you sign the work order you give me permission to drive the car.

I'm going to drive the car the same way I would with the owner of the car, the owner of the dealership, service director in the car if it comes in for a repair that warrants driving.

If I swing through a drive through while I test drive it, get over it. I don't get drinks so I won't spill it in your car. I've been driving cars for 30 years, I'm not going to curb your wheels. You signed permission for me to drive it, remember that.

If you don't want me driving your car on the road, don't fucking cry if you have to bring it back to the shop because "you didn't fix my car"

I don't give a fuck what kind of car it is either or what serial number it is.

It's a car/truck to me. See my previous statement on how I drive it. Yes, even your precious zr1/zl1.

You can write down the mileage also. Whatever. Pst.... the service writer took the current mileage down when he wrote the ticket up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Personally, I could give a fuck about jack asses and their dash cams. I turn them off.

I'm going to drive the car the same way I would with the owner of the car, the owner of the dealership, service director in the car if it comes in for a repair that warrants driving.

If I swing through a drive through while I test drive it, get over it. I don't get drinks so I won't spill it in your car. I've been driving cars for 30 years, I'm not going to curb your wheels. You signed permission for me to drive it, remember that.

If you don't want me driving your car on the road, don't fucking cry if you have to bring it back to the shop because "you didn't fix my car"

It's a car/truck to me. See my previous statement on how I drive it. Yes, even your precious zr1/zl1.

You can write down the mileage also. Whatever. Pst.... the service writer took the current mileage down when he wrote the ticket up.
View Quote
yeah, so stop bringing nasty poor people food into the car

i don't want your bacon double-i-dont-know-how-to-cook grease leaking into my carpet
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup

Funny story about dickhead customer.

Late 90’s guy brings in his brand new Mustang Cobra to the Ford dealer I worked at for something or another, when he came to pick up the car he raised hell to the service advisors ect, said he aligned the center caps on all four wheels to point the same direction before he dropped it off so now since they were no longer aligned WE had to take his car and do burn outs and such in it, service manager told him he was a fucking idiot and to never come back to our dealership...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The dealership that I worked at put up cameras in every stall and lets people watch over the internet when they remodeled. Thankfully they did this after I left that would drive me nuts. To all the people complaining about techs going on test drives just who do you think does the new vehicle inspections when they come in off the truck and puts 5 to 10 miles on the car before it is sold.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The dealership that I worked at put up cameras in every stall and lets people watch over the internet when they remodeled. Thankfully they did this after I left that would drive me nuts. To all the people complaining about techs going on test drives just who do you think does the new vehicle inspections when they come in off the truck and puts 5 to 10 miles on the car before it is sold.
View Quote
Hah most places the clean up guys getting paid minimum wage and they hoon the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I was young and worked for dodge . I did new car get ready. I took new cars with 7 miles up to everything they would run with tolerance from higher us and sometimes them doing it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
anddd this is why car dealerships can eat a dick

how about use your own car to get lunch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been a tech at a couple different dealerships in my life.

Not gonna lie we drove customers cars to lunch every day, unless it’s in for a minor service like oil change chances are it’s gonna get test driven...

Dealerships? Try every shop I’ve ever dealt with or worked for. Don’t be silly. It doesn’t hurt anything and needs to be done anyway. Why would you care where they went.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Worked at a shop for 12 years. Unless it's in for scheduled maintenance, any peripheral get disconnected as the first step I diagnosis. This includes GPS trackers, Dash Cams, Radar Detectors, Insurance Modules, and even you phone charger.

We also test drive everything more involved than an oil change.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Thats why you run a hard wire to power
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would unplug your shit too.

We're all crooks at the dealership right?

Let's be honest you were hoping to catch them hot rodding your hooptie so you could go into the service managers office and throw a temper tantrum and get the work for free.
View Quote
I'm actually hoping to catch them NOT beating the shit out of my car lol

I don't want free work. I just want work done right and respect shown to my property.  Unfortunately both can be hard to find
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Dropped my challenger off last year to have the windshield replaced , when I picked it up the following day, 40 miles had been added and no-one knew a thing about it.  No reason for 40 miles added and the dealership refused to say anything or look into it.  I never drop anything off again with them.  No, I did not have a dash cam.  

I will say that 100% of my interactions with clients is audio/video recorded and it has saved my butt countless times, never once having burned me.  Clients will go to supervisors and complain about services when they're not happy and make up random lies.  Manager pulls the video and they look like jackasses.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to glue the power plug into my dashcam lol

I did buy a collar that goes around it to keep the power plug or memory card from getting removed. But it's not perfect by any stretch, just another layer for them to deal with to hopefully deter them from joy riding my car.
View Quote
You could just open up the console and splice the wires directly into the charging plug then run the wires behind your dash. Now it stays on, doesn't have a wire in from of you and then cannot unplug it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I get that certain repairs or diagnosing some issues requires a test drive.  That only makes sense.  But taking a customers car to lunch that didn't need a test drive is bullshit.  Unplugging a dash cam when test driving a customers car for any reason is bullshit.

My car is sitting at a body shop waiting on parts to complete a repair.  I have a dash cam hard wired into the car.  I also know the car had 1,408 miles on it when it was dropped off (me and the insurance adjuster took a pic of the odometer).  If every mile they put on the car isn't documented with the dash cam there is going to be a serious problem.
View Quote
Yup. You are going to have to find a new body shop after you take that approach with them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

And if its fucked with you can hold someone accountable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been a tech at a couple different dealerships in my life.

Not gonna lie we drove customers cars to lunch every day, unless it’s in for a minor service like oil change chances are it’s gonna get test driven...

why not use the 2-5 mile drive to locate a noise/vibration/drive ability concern.
Cars that come in for a service don’t get driven. If the customer has a complaint the car will get driven.

Why does it matter if it’s durring “working” time VS lunch time.

Time is key. If I can take the car to grab lunch and complete a test drive at the same time I’m working more efficiently.

As for dash cams I could care less. Leave them plugged in. Our shop has a large glass wall so we get watched all day. Doesn’t bother me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL.  Bunch of hardasses here. Fuck your dash cam.   Feel free to have your rig towed to the next shop if you don't like it, on your dime. Bunch of fragile old women clutching their purses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I always check my mileage before drop off. I've never noted an issue over the years (knock on wood).  If there was no reason to take it off the lot...it wasn't.  If it required a test drive, a minimal amount of miles were put on it.  It doesn't matter to me if those miles occurred during the technicians work hours or on his way to grab a quick lunch.

As long as I get my vehicle back in the same condition it was when I dropped it off (or better...due to work that was needed), I'm happy.

That being said...if I had a sports car or muscle car...I might consider some kind of dash camera. Ever hear the audio/tape recorder of the tech taking the muscle car (Camaro...if I remember correctly) out for a joy ride and ragging on the car until the clutch started acting up?  He said something to the effect of "we'll just blame it on customer abuse."
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It only takes a few minutes for you to partially disassemble the console in your car and find the connector on the back of the power/lighter plug,
disconnect it, and connect a second INTERNAL power plug inside there.  Route your dashcam's cable to that internal plug and then reassemble
the console.  You now have a semi-permanent power connection that can't be unplugged by a mechanic who wants to avoid being recorded taking
your prized Neon for a Ferris Bueller's Day Off joyride around downtown Chicago.   Of course he could chase the plug inside the console but more
likely he would not bother with that.   And that leaves the power connector on the back of your dashcam.  For that I recommend GE Silicone II
to ensure that only a very obvious and concerted effort can be made to disconnect it there.  
View Quote
Thanks to the prevalence of poor quality charging cables, we know where the fuses are.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#29]
OP needs to switch to decaf.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I get that certain repairs or diagnosing some issues requires a test drive.  That only makes sense.  But taking a customers car to lunch that didn't need a test drive is bullshit.  Unplugging a dash cam when test driving a customers car for any reason is bullshit.

My car is sitting at a body shop waiting on parts to complete a repair.  I have a dash cam hard wired into the car.  I also know the car had 1,408 miles on it when it was dropped off (me and the insurance adjuster took a pic of the odometer).  If every mile they put on the car isn't documented with the dash cam there is going to be a serious problem.
View Quote
You strike me as the kind of person who always thinks there’s a bug crawling on him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#31]
In-This-Thread, we learn that vehicle "technicians" are pieces of chit who use your vehicle as their rental to run personal errands under "muh test drive" or "muh efficiency".

They personally admit to it too.

Defend it all you want, but you're still a piece of chit.

Reason why I do all my own vehicle work.

Can't trust any of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Might be time for a black light.
View Quote
Ernest P Worrell Ehhhhwwwww Ernest Goes to Camp)
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yup. You are going to have to find a new body shop after you take that approach with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whoopie.  who uses a body shop all the time?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Clearly you need a 2nd hidden camera so you know what they say when they disconnect the first
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In-This-Thread, we learn that vehicle "technicians" are pieces of chit who use your vehicle as their rental to run personal errands under "muh test drive" or "muh efficiency".

Can't trust any of them.
View Quote
Good thing we could give 2 shits and a fuck about your opinion of us.

Why are you being a pussy about calling us a piece of shit? Fucking say it.

Same reason "but my dash cam was unplugged"

At the end of the day, IDGAF about you or your car.

It's a car. I'm going to treat it like it was mine while working on it or driving it. I don't want to be in a wreck. I don't want to pay a speeding ticket.

All people have rights as to not being videotaped in a private setting (not in public)

If you don't agree with that, let your work put audio/video up at your work and when something is said or done that upper management or a client doesn't like, post it to YouTube bashing whomever is on the video for that 3.7 seconds of film.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I hard wired mine, using a Power Magic Pro, it would be harder for them to explain how the on off switch on the camera got thrown.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/download-327845.JPG

And if its fucked with you can hold someone accountable.
View Quote

Cut
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hard wired mine, using a Power Magic Pro, it would be harder for them to explain how the on off switch on the camera got thrown.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/
View Quote
It was unplugged by the technician working on it because they did not consent to being recorded.

Pretty easy to explain.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's a car. I'm going to treat it like it was mine while working on it or driving it. I don't want to be in a wreck. I don't want to pay a speeding ticket.

All people have rights as to not being videotaped in a private setting (not in public)

If you don't agree with that, let your work put audio/video up at your work and when something is said or done that upper management or a client doesn't like, post it to YouTube bashing whomever is on the video for that 3.7 seconds of film.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't trust any of them.

I know who the techs (current/past) are on this board and we’ve made a point to help ingrate shits fix their dung heaps. Fuck ‘em. We need a list of shits whom we won’t bail out when they fuck up their precious plastic POS cars.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Probably best not to see what would have been recorded.  Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.
View Quote
just go with this OP,sleep better at night
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Mixnmatch thread
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
amazingly, the dash cam's plug became disconnected right after dropping it off, plugged it back it when i picked it up

kind of strange

makes you think that maybe they went to get some lunch or something on a test drive
View Quote

No, it's not.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nobody wants their garage room banter recorded.
View Quote
You must be friends with some techs
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck mechanics.

I one time had my Twix bar get hung up in the vending machine in the waiting room. I stepped away to find someone and when I came back the Twix had dropped and a tech was walking out, so I confronted him. He denied it, of course, but I saw cookie crumbs in the corner of his mouth. Everybody knows Twix is the only candy with a cookie crunch!

Crooks and liars. All of em.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Back in the day when me and my friends all worked at Firestone, Goodyear and Mr. Tire as wrench turners.....we used to drag race customers cars.  Was a half mile strip of pavement with nothing around  it. About a mile from the shop. We used to drag race there in our own cars too.
That was long before the technology of today.
 Therefore I know how to fix my own car. I also own a car shop. Me and my partner come down hard on anyone driving a car they have no business driving. Have also fired a tech for driving a police car. We do repairs for local and state police, also custom cars. Only three people at the shop are allowed to drive any of these vehicles. Helps when you already know the tricks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I swear a lot when I work on stuff....

I would not want my cuss-fest to be uploaded to YouTube, so I would unplug camera.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would unplug your shit too.

We're all crooks at the dealership right?

Let's be honest you were hoping to catch them hot rodding your hooptie so you could go into the service managers office and throw a temper tantrum and get the work for free.
View Quote
This.

Part of every test drive is one wide open throttle, and one hard stop, I also go over a bumpy road to listen for suspension noise and one with no traffic so I can swerve back and forth to listen for wheel bearing.

It's part of the test drive to ush limits and try to notice stuff before it gets bad.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top