Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:29:04 AM EDT
Saw this on Free Republic

(2005-08-24) -- An internal White House memo, leaked today, indicates how President George Bush initially planned to address Cindy Sheehan's question: What "noble cause" did my son die for?

The draft memo includes suggestions from White House communications staff, followed by several paragraphs apparently handwritten by the president.

While handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity, here is the text of the president's alleged response to the grieving Mom whose protest has captured the hearts of America's journalists.

Dear Mrs. Sheehan, You have asked me to identify the noble cause for which your son died. I have not answered you personally out of respect for the nobility of your son's sacrifice.

Being president forces me into the spotlight, but I would rather stand in the shadows of men like Casey Sheehan.

Directing national attention on my response to your protest creates a distraction from what matters. The focus of our attention, and our admiration, should rest on people like Casey Sheehan, who stand in the breach when evil threatens to break out and consume a helpless people.

The running story on the news networks should be the valiant efforts of our troops -- the merchants of mercy who export freedom and import honor. They trade their own lives for the sake of others.

As a result, we live in a nation where a woman can camp outside of the president's house and verbally attack the president for weeks on end without fear of prison, torture or death. And the number of nations where such protest is possible has multiplied thanks to the work of our military.

You ask for what noble cause your son died?

In a sense he died so that people like you, who passionately oppose government policies, can freely express that opposition. As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

Now, 25 million Iraqis cry out to enjoy the life you take for granted. Most of them will never use their freedom to denigrate the sacrifice of those who paid for it. But once liberty is enshrined in law, they will be free to do so. And when the Iraqis finally escape their incarceration, hope will spread throughout that enslaved region of the world, eventually making us all safer and more free.

The key is in the lock of the prison door. Bold men risk everything to turn it.

Mrs. Sheehan, everyone dies. But few experience the bittersweet glory of death with a purpose -- death that sets people free and produces ripples of liberty hundreds of years into the future.

Casey Sheehan died that freedom might triumph over bondage, hope over despair, prosperity over misery. He died restoring justice and mercy. He lived and died to help to destroy the last stubborn vestiges of the Dark Ages.

To paraphrase President Lincoln, the world will little note nor long remember what you and I say here. But it can never forget what Casey Sheehan did during his brief turn on earth. If we are wise, we will take increased devotion to that cause for which he gave the last full measure of devotion.

Our brave warriors have blazed a trail. They have entrusted the completion of the task to those of us they left behind. Let's, you and I, resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.

Let's finish the work that they have thus far so nobly advanced.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
if its real....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't matter if its real.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

I Agree.  That is a powerful read.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

bam!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

+1.  I don't need Snopes right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice read, but I'm calling

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SGatr15

+1

R.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Whether Bush wrote it or not it is the Perfect response to the liberal Ditz!!!

But then again it is not about that, I work in Behavioral treatment of Adolescent Drug and criminal offenders and as i see it. She is using this as a substitute for having to face the grieving process and the longer she plays this out the harder reality is going to hit her when hse finally does have to face it.

She is dishonoring her sons wishes and memory with her behavior, it's disgraceful to both him and her since her son actually volunteered to go back the second time when he was killed.

She is mentally messed up right now and needs proffesional help to deal with her problems, not the press giving her mental issues a legitimate standing.

My .02 Cents!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Owned by the PROTUS !  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

SGatr15

While handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity

I agree,
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It's kick ass regardless.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]

The key is in the lock of the prison door. Bold men risk everything to turn it.

That's sig line material... BS or not, it's an excellent read.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whether Bush wrote it or not it is the Perfect response to the liberal Ditz!!!

But then again it is not about that, I work in Behavioral treatment of Adolescent Drug and criminal offenders and as i see it. She is using this as a substitute for having to face the grieving process and the longer she plays this out the harder reality is going to hit her when hse finally does have to face it.

She is dishonoring her sons wishes and memory with her behavior, it's disgraceful to both him and her since her son actually volunteered to go back the second time when he was killed.

She is mentally messed up right now and needs proffesional help to deal with her problems, not the press giving her mental issues a legitimate standing.

My .02 Cents!

+1

Whether you agree with her or not, the sad thing is that she is being used by the libs for as long as she is useful to them and then she will be dumped to deal with her life on her own.

Did anybody see the quote from her the other day after she had started saying some really whacko things about Bush? She came back later all calmed down and said that she didn't want to get "off message".  Off message??? When was the last time you ever heard anyone use a phrase like that that wasn't a spin doctor?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm uber sick of this Sheehan business.

Shughart's dad was but a blip on the radar back when Clinton was president... Of course the media loved Clinton.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I like it.  For those of you who call BS, on what grounds?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just the usual crowd.

Very powerful read.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Come on!  It was on freerepublic afterall!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

bam!

Damn, I hope she'll enjoy the shit sandwhich.  She should just kill herself for desicrating the memory of her son, and the memories of all those still on patrol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

+1.  I don't need Snopes right now.

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm uber sick of this Sheehan business.

Shughart's dad was but a blip on the radar back when Clinton was president... Of course the media loved Clinton.  

Good point.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#21]
That is a touching message to that wack job woman. But, personally, it's probably not true and just someone who threw together the note. Why would Bush want to legitimize that little twit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It represents what we would all like to say to her, however, no president in his right mind would even consider taking that tone with a woman who just lost her son.

All of the other libs out there would have a field day with  that letter. Parts would be taken out of context;

"Ms. Sheehan, everyone dies." - would be the only quote you hear. Followed by some "outraged" lib by the president's calous comments to this poor greiving woman.

"Yes, Mr. President, everyone dies - it's just that many more have died at a young age thanks to your misguided, egotistical war ideology."

Sound about right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Damn straight.

Anyone whom I've confronted about the war, who wants to know what our soldiers fought and die for... I always tell them, they fought to free a whole people from an evil dictator, they destroyed tyranny and terror, and brought freedom and liberty to people they didn't even know.  

When they get all uppity, I usually reply:

"So, you think freedom and liberty are good enough for YOU, but not for anyone else?"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

...handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity...

Hello? Have we forgotten Memogate already? It's a good read, but not penned by The President.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#25]
In other news, dan rather pulled another piece of shit out of his ass and called it news
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]

The draft memo includes suggestions from White House communications staff, followed by several paragraphs apparently handwritten by the president.

While handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity....

Anyone else read the above and wonder...?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That is a touching message to that wack job woman. But, personally, it's probably not true and just someone who threw together the note. Why would Bush want to legitimize that little twit.

After all, he does need to get on with his life
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Good read, but that was entirely too "in your
face" to be written by this or any President.

It would be unbecoming to the office to use
lines like "take off your shoes..." and "the life
you take for granted..." towards a citizen
(even a lunatic, whackjob).
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's not GWB's style of writing.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

While handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity....

Anyone else read the above and wonder...?

Oh, SNAP! I missed that the first time! Gotta be a farce/hoax/fabrication.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#32]
The grammar and metaphor were so bad it could only have come from GWB.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Damn straight.

Anyone whom I've confronted about the war, who wants to know what our soldiers fought and die for... I always tell them, they fought to free a whole people from an evil dictator, they destroyed tyranny and terror, and brought freedom and liberty to people they didn't even know.  

When they get all uppity, I usually reply:

"So, you think freedom and liberty are good enough for YOU, but not for anyone else?"

That is AWESOME.
Thank you, Matt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I read something just like that the other day. It was called "An open letter to Cindy Sheehan" I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top