Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:07:57 PM EDT
ie, has cindy sheehan foreclosed on her future rights with her stunt today, or is a federal misdemeanor conviction like a state conviction?

Thanks,
RMT.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:25:02 PM EDT
I haven't heard what happened today, but . . .

It depends on state laws, each state is different.

e.g. In MA, any conviction for any crime that COULD have had a penalty of 2 years or more in jail is a lifetime disqualifier (it matters not if you only got probation or a $25 fine), any "crime of violence"/domestic violence/gun crime are all lifetime disqualifiers per our MA laws. All MA DUI convictions since 1994ish are also lifetime disqualifiers. [Lots of folks got burnt with these laws. Even a simple A&B with fists at age 13 is a lifetime disqualifier in MA. EPS convictions for leaning a loaded hunting rifle against the bumper of a car/truck while taking a piss was a $25 fine, but it's a "gun crime" and became a lifetime disqualifier.]

I doubt that any other state is worse, but some may approach these restrictions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:27:15 PM EDT
No, federally its DV or a felony.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 8:40:08 AM EDT by home_with_kids]
thanks for the info.

"today" was a couple days ago when Sheehan got her wish to be photo-op arrested in front of the white house. I imagine most of these protest arrests end in a summary conviction and simple fine.

edited--rmt
Top Top