Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 3:50:11 PM EDT
I have a question about interstate sales. I Live in Northern indiana. I want to sell a gun to my friend in Greater Cleveland area. And he is going to sell me a different gun. I was not sure if its legal for us to do this inter-state. I would go to cleveland area and we would trade guns plus the difference in cash. Then I would transfer my gun back in my car. So my main question is this legal for me to transport a gun after a private sale, across the state.
-Nick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, if this is not legal, how could I do it legally.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
A face to face transfer would not be legal.  If the firearms are rifles or shotguns, the easiest way to transfer them to each other would be through an Ohio dealer.  Ohio allows transfers of rifles and shotguns to residents of contiguous states. If the firearms are handguns, the transfers must be processed by a dealer in your respective home states.

Transport of a firearm would be legal as long as the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container or trunk of the vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top