Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 9:42:30 AM EDT
On the news here yesterday they were talking about this guy I think he shot some people or something bad, anyway they said he was caught in LA driving the guys car that he "did" not because the car was stolen (guys dead he cant call in on his car) but because it had a bumper sticker that was illegal in CA??????? Good thing he got caught but WTF?

Obviously there are bumper stickers that are going to get you negative attention and cause you to get pulled over, searched, or maybe if it's not the police ;) pulling you over maybe beaten, raped, murdered etc.. but illegal? What would it have on it? Maadi-Griffin diagrams? DeCSS code?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In kalifornia, the statist supreme court has recently ruled that a right does not exist unless it is specifically noted in the state constitution. I do not think there is a mention of the freedom of speech extending to bumber stickers anywhere in the state constitution.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It was either a unregistered preban bumper sticker or a " Imbroglio For Governor" sticker...

(oops...)
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In kalifornia, the statist supreme court has recently ruled that a right does not exist unless it is specifically noted in the state constitution. I do not think there is a mention of the freedom of speech extending to bumber stickers anywhere in the state constitution.
View Quote

GET BACK! Your kidding, right?
That is so UPSIDEDOWN!
That means EVERYTHING, if not enumerated is
a crime.
Tell me someone has appealed, PLEASE!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The California Supreme Court can make no such ruling as the United States Constitution supercedes a States Constitution.
I believe the 1st Amendment protects the right to freedom of expression,even offensive speech,in fact I believe this was one of the guiding factors in the framers intent.
However as we have all seen with the 2nd it has been eroded and open to interpretation by California and other States.
If California has placed restrictions on such bumper stickers I would like to see a ruling in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
this wouldn't surprise me but I don't see how it can stand as the bill of rights contains this

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It was stated as such in the recent "assault weapon" ruling. The judges said that as there is no rtkba mentioned in the state constitution there is no protection for private ownership of guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
What else would you expect from kali? I hate that state even more than I hate france.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
God MelonPopper, I never thought about it like that before, but your right. I hate Kalifornia more than France to. LMAO, but Kali really does suck the big one. I say nuke it from orbit....
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Remember when Kali was shown in the movies as a place of freedom?

I can recall one movie in which the hero was pursued across a totalitarian America in his effort to reach the sanctuary of California.

How sad.[:(]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Seen one the other day... Wine me, Dine me, 69 me. Had a laugh! And the Shelia driving, a real bewdy, blonde and very rootable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top