Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 10:22:55 PM EDT
Here we go, After bouncing this off two gun lovers at work and a lib 2 liked it and the other thought it made since.  In stead of jumping through all kinds of hoops and extra cost and waiting periods to attain a fully automatic weapon how about a government monitored training program or licensing similar to Drivers Ed or attaining a Drivers license???  For instance a reasonable cost training program along the lines of a CCW class or formal civilian and police tactics and firearms course?  Basically this would insure the fact that if you own it you are at the least compotent in its use if not fully trained.  I think nothing would strengthen homeland security more than than masses of SKILLED ARMED CITICZENS!  I like the idea of formal training for the average citiczen!!!!  Secondly after doing a CCW class in March I would have a problem with giving a weapon to most of that class and would normally object to giving them a permit, much less an automatic weapon, but that is not my call.  Put simply I believe it is the moral responsibility of someone posessing any weapon to know how to use it!!!!!  However I never understood the Liberal idea of protecting us by disarming us, how the hell does that help homeland security????    
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
the purpose of gun control is not to keep guns away from crazies.  the purpose of gun control is to keep guns out of the hands of everyone but the government.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the purpose of gun control is not to keep guns away from crazies.  the purpose of gun control is to keep guns out of the hands of everyone but the government.

+1, if you want proof, pick up a history book.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
...shall not be infringed.... mean anything to you? It does to me, I don't want to go through classes to practice my right to bear arms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, if you want proof, pick up a history book.

+2 go back about 70 years to Germany
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...shall not be infringed.... mean anything to you? It does to me, I don't want to go through classes to practice my right to bear arms.

I ONLY MEANT FOR FULL AUTO
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The full auto laws aren't going to get any better.  You ask anybody on the street: "Do you think citizens should be allowed to own automatic weapons?"  9/10 will respond No.

The best we can do now is to protect semi-autos and carry rights.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
ALSO THEIR ARE SEVERAL COUNTRIES THAT TEACH HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AGE KIDS TO SHOOT!!!!  PLUS IF YOU CLEAR THOSE ACTIVE IN THE MILITARY YOU WOULD HAVE SEVRAL THOUSAND ELIGIBLE FOR OWNERSHIP INSTANTLY IT WOULD OPEN UP AND CHEAPEN THE FULL AUTO MARKET THROUGH ACCESSABILITY.  ALSO THIS WAS MEANT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE CURRENT PROCESSES!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you implying that full-auto firearms are not protected under our 2nd Amendment rights? The way I see it, ANY gun law restricting citizens from owning ANY firearm is unconstitutional.

Just try explaining that to the Supreme Court.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does full auto make a difference.  Actually full auto is WORSE than semi auto. (in most cases)

Clarify please??????
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Free formal safety training.
No list with my name on it.
No tax stamp.
Cheap Full Auto firearms again.

No permits, no lists, You show up, you listen to the man.. you show the man what you got at a range, you walk into the store with $500 and buy a full auto M4.

Basically it's a concealed weapons class, but for full auto, and I can buy a machinegun for the price of a semiauto without a tax stamp or 6 months wait?

I've got no problem with that.

Beats the hell out of a $10,000 full auto, a tax stamp, a pile of paperwork, and my name cross referenced a dozen times.  That being in a state where it's even legal to own class III.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...shall not be infringed, except for full auto...

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

As stated above why should it matter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ALSO THEIR ARE SEVERAL COUNTRIES THAT TEACH HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AGE KIDS TO SHOOT!!!!

And the United States is one of them. I went to college on a rifle scholarship, so did most of my friends. I am currently a high school rifle team coach.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No tax stamp.

No permits, no lists, You show up, you listen to the man.. you show the man what you got at a range, you walk into the store with $500 and buy a full auto M4.

Basically it's a concealed weapons class, but for full auto, and I can buy a machinegun for the price of a semiauto without a tax stamp or 6 months wait?

where is this?  How do I go about doing this?  Or are ypu just building on my theory?

Beats the hell out of a $10,000 full auto, a tax stamp, a pile of paperwork, and my name cross referenced a dozen times.  That being in a state where it's even legal to own class III.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Just going with your scenario.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No tax stamp.

Are you just building on my theory???  Or is this possible??

where is this?  How do I go about doing this?  Or are ypu just building on my theory?

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
you can still get some machine pistols (uzis, Macs etc) for 2 or 3 grand right now...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Sigh....

It's not to be though.  Both side would freak out.... I can see it plainly....

The Left and most of center would not in this day and age allow full auto firearms to be disseminated so freely,

and ...

There are many on the right who would still consider this a compromise, and therefore, not acceptable because it's "still and infringement".  

Our loss.

Too many idiots all around.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I invite all pick it apart, suggest changes and tweaks, propose a set of theoretical steps, compromises that would expediate?????  This site has several thousand members maybe we could get some grass roots effort started and kick it to a sympathetic Congressman or Senator.  Pete Coors comes to mind if he wins!!!!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]

All gun laws are illegal.

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
gun laws suck, but unless we can change them, we have to cope with them.  all of you folks who have registered a handgun, or paid for the 200 dollar tax stamp have coped with it.

However, if taking the class meant cheap, easily obtainable class 3 stuff for me...id take it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top