Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:16 PM EDT
So I just upgraded to a new iphone and the old one is no longer has any service from the carrier. I want to be able to use it as a wifi only device. I have disabled the cellular data and turned on wifi. It connects to my home network fine, but I cannot access anything on the web, or app store. Is a data plan required even to use wifi? Seems kinda silly since I'm not getting any services from the provider, but from my ISP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Should essentially work as an iPod now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's would i would have thought. Ever since sprint stopped the data plan on it, not even wifi works, where it did before. I'm wondering if they somehow lockdown all data connections when you have no service.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's would i would have thought. Ever since sprint stopped the data plan on it, not even wifi works, where it did before. I'm wondering if they somehow lockdown all data connections when you have no service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Verizon has no control over whether or not your wifi works, try restoring the phone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
No, the data plan is not required to use wifi. Something is up on your end.

What pisses me off is that I can't use an old smartphone just as a phone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit.  "Data plan required".  I hate that...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Verizon has no control over whether or not your wifi works, try restoring the phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for assuming my wifi is the problem. Thanks for assuming I had verizon.

My wifi works fine with every other device in my house. It also worked before the service was disconnected. So if its a problem with my router, as you suggest, whats a wipe going to solve?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an iPhone 4 that used to be Verizon that is only used for WiFi, you did go through the settings and turn on wifi, and try to connect to your router, right? Now I see that u did. If you see your router there shouldn't be anything stopping u from accessing the well. Let us know what you discover.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Turn on airplane mode then toggle the wifi. That should work if not try restoring it through itunes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Turn on airplane mode then toggle the wifi. That should work if not try restoring it through itunes.
View Quote

Ya, I tried all of that with the exception of the restore. My kid is gunna be pissed when he finds all his ABC games are gone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have used my iPhone with voice only SIMs.

Is the issue that you are still locked to a provider?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, no provider, old work phone. Phone was mine, service was there's, just want to use it as a wifi device. Will try a restore.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My wifi works fine with every other device in my house. It also worked before the service was disconnected. So if its a problem with my router, as you suggest, whats a wipe going to solve?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chill out.  The problem is on your end, this is a fact.  Either a problem with the phone, or the router.

Did you try going to the network setting part on the phone, and hitting "reset all" or whatever it says in there?  Try that before a restore.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope, no provider, old work phone. Phone was mine, service was there's, just want to use it as a wifi device. Will try a restore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was directed at the two guys I quoted, I have no experience trying to do what you're doing, exactly.  I've used wifi with expired SIM cards before, so I can't understand what would be interfering with yours and why.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not locked to anything, but in my area there really is only one provider, which is ATT.

I was simply told that I could not use a smartphone, as a dumb phone, period.  I was wanting to use an older iPhone with a normal talk plan, no Data.  Couldn't be done.  Searches on the web pretty much confirm this as well, at least with ATT.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used several iPhones as WiFi-only devices without cellular service.  Something is wrong with your phone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not locked to anything, but in my area there really is only one provider, which is ATT.

I was simply told that I could not use a smartphone, as a dumb phone, period.  I was wanting to use an older iPhone with a normal talk plan, no Data.  Couldn't be done.  Searches on the web pretty much confirm this as well, at least with ATT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like they still have your phone locked.

There is nothing technically preventing it, other than their business model.

If you're sure it's unlocked just get a cheapo free phone with a plan, and swap out the SIMs.  AT&T doesn't have to know - heck, this might work even if locked, since it's still AT&T.  If you have a pay as you go service there (doesn't sound like you do), use it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Try deleting the stored networks on the phone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said wifi was your problem, said the company didn't have control over your phones wifi, therefore somethings up with your phone. Thought I read verizon..It makes ZERO difference what company it is, none of them have control of your phones wifi.
If your going to get pissy over one small detail then go to bed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and in case I wasn't clear I never said it was your routers problem, its your phones wifi most likely.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The issue is that most, if not all, of the major carriers will require that you purchase a data plan if you want to bring a smartphone into their network. It's a policy issue, and it's enforced through reading your IMEI number when you sign onto the network (turn on your phone). The carrier immediately knows you're on a smartphone, and if you don't have a data plan on your account, they'll tack one on.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. The issue is that most, if not all, of the major carriers will require that you purchase a data plan if you want to bring a smartphone into their network. It's a policy issue, and it's enforced through reading your IMEI number when you sign onto the network (turn on your phone). The carrier immediately knows you're on a smartphone, and if you don't have a data plan on your account, they'll tack one on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

att is NOT against it. I got an iphone 4 a few months back and put a PRE PAID sim in it with the att stores help its just verizon that is stupid about this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

att is NOT against it. I got an iphone 4 a few months back and put a PRE PAID sim in it with the att stores help its just verizon that is stupid about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was starting to wonder if that had changed.  My wife's smart phone was still using an old pre-smart phone AT&T SIM card form before any of us had data plans or smart phones until I finally got her an iPhone less than a year ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top