Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 3:48:06 PM EDT
Could someone give basic instructions to dissasemble a mossberg 590?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Half pump, unscrew and pull off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Half pump, unscrew and pull off.

So we got that part off.   Is there any reason to try to remove the bolt?   the gun appears to be only slightly dirty.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
pull her all the way down and give her a good cleaning, never hurts, and it helps you keep on top of wether stuff inside is broken or not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED

After taking off the barrel, there is a pin right above the action lever (behind the tigger guard) the pin has a little dimple on it.  Push it out and pull down on the trigger guard.  You can disassemble the rest of the gun by pulling on things you want to have come out  Usually a full strip is not necessary.  Just take the barrel off and clean it well.  Flush the rest of it with your spray solvent of choice (I use brake cleaner).  I have only taken mine appart once after about 200rds (mostly birdshot).  I was shocked to find almost no crud in there at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
pull her all the way down and give her a good cleaning, never hurts, and it helps you keep on top of wether stuff inside is broken or not.

This is the first thing I do with every single firearm I buy, new or used. I just bought a Winchester 120 a few weeks ago, and when I disassembled it, I discovered that the ejector was broken (and that the previous owner had never heard of a cleaning kit). Numerous cans of brake cleaner, $17 to Numrich gun parts for a new ejector and retaining pin, and all is well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED

After taking off the barrel, there is a pin right above the action lever (behind the tigger guard) the pin has a little dimple on it.  Push it out and pull down on the trigger guard.  You can disassemble the rest of the gun by pulling on things you want to have come out  Usually a full strip is not necessary.  Just take the barrel off and clean it well.  Flush the rest of it with your spray solvent of choice (I use brake cleaner).  I have only taken mine appart once after about 200rds (mostly birdshot).  I was shocked to find almost no crud in there at all.

Generally very true. Shottys run pretty clean (I am assuming the 590 is a pump gun),with the only part getting dirty is the inside of the barrel,most wipe right out . Your milage may vary out in a dusty field or a muddy duck hunting boat or blind. This goes double if you have any hunting dogs!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
to make life a little easier, while its still not to dirty i recomend buying some of the clorox foaming bathroom cleaner with teflon and cleaning it with that. Spray it in, wait till the foam falls, and than rinse it with almost boiling water. than clean like normal and oil slightly.   it leaves a thin layer of teflon on the metal, which makes cleaning it in the future alot easier, and helps retard rust on the interior parts.

its worked for me, and its one of the steps i use anytime i clean a customers gun, also got me first time goes on my m16 inspections.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top