Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
i am a contractor so if i don't work i don't get paid.  simple as that.
I have been working at the new job for about 4 months and had one sick day.
Put in for vacation a month ago and first part of last week they it,  
i feel like going to the range tomorrow...
just wondering how often you call in sick when your not sick.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Never....seriously..I've had 1 sick day this century (2 months ago) and I was running fever and chills..but I never say I'm sick if I'm not..On the other hand I did take today off because my wife is doing parent/teacher conferences all day long so I need to watch the kids..That's considered vacation time since I scheduled it a month ago
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
During my Fire Department career, I always seemed to get sick in the autumn every year..
Usually around Elk season...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a contractor too.

I don't have the time or luxury
to be sick.

If any of my people get too sick to answer the bell
for a 12 hour a day, 7 day a week job, they
are on the first thing with wheels and, an engine home.

I have been so sick I thought I was going to die
and still gone to work.

I have a wife and, three children that depend on me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny you should mention it..but I left early yesterday and did not go in today...sick

I am a firm believer that if you are sick, you need to stay home, rest, and take care of yourself.  There is no sense that, if you are a valuable employee, you should go in and make your health worse by not taking care of yourself.  Furthermore, if a person is not all that valuable, but sick nonetheless, there is no reason to go in and possibly infect the productive co-workers.

That being said, if I am sick, I'll stay home....but I get a huge case of guilt over it and fret about it a lot.

I've slept probably half of the past 36 hrs.  I think I am on the mend...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Working from home makes it a non-issue for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Not as often as I am FROM sick.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't call in sick. My boss is under 3 feet tall:

Last time I said I was sick, my four year old stated, "You're not too sick for Play Doh!"

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Im 19 been working sence I was 16 and I only missed one day of work,  and that day I would of probley been sent home early anyways.

+1 on if your sick you need to stay home and get better.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Funny you should mention it..but I left early yesterday and did not go in today...sick

I am a firm believer that if you are sick, you need to stay home, rest, and take care of yourself.  There is no sense that, if you are a valuable employee, you should go in and make your health worse by not taking care of yourself.  Furthermore, if a person is not all that valuable, but sick nonetheless, there is no reason to go in and possibly infect the productive co-workers.

That being said, if I am sick, I'll stay home....but I get a huge case of guilt over it and fret about it a lot.

I've slept probably half of the past 36 hrs.  I think I am on the mend...

man im the same way. when im sick and stay home from work, i FEEL BAD ABOUT IT. i felt like an ass leaving work early cuase i had kidney stones FFS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
.. If I'm really sick, I just stay home and conduct my work from there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I only miss work if I am bleeding, bleeding out the eyes, or bleeding out the ....

but have to strike the general bleeding rule, becuase a week ago I came to work and the boss made me go to the Dr.  I later that day had a HUGE chunk of my finger cut out from a MRSA (flesh eating bacteria) infection that I brought back from my deployment in Africa....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
never, I don't call in sick when I am sick
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had only taken one sick day at my current job, which I have had to almost 2 years.  And even then, they had to make me go home the second time I passed out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Tomorrow I'm calling in "Too Cool"  to work.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
About 10 times in 17 years.

edited to add I should have read more than the title.  You are asking about calling in sick when you are not sick................

Never!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually go in to work when to sick to work.  Why waste a perfect spring Wednesday at home with a fever?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually don't call off unless one of the kids is sick. However, I draw the line when my temp reaches 102. Like it was a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i am a contractor so if i don't work i don't get paid.  simple as that.
I have been working at the new job for about 4 months and had one sick day.
Put in for vacation a month ago and first part of last week they it,  
i feel like going to the range tomorrow...
just wondering how often you call in sick when your not sick.  

I've called in sick once in the ten years since I started working.

I was in the hospital, getting oxygen because i'd degenerated to the point of pneumonia.

I went back to work the next day.

Just feels wrong, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel guilty when I call in sick. No matter how sick I am.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
i just tell them that I'm to sick to type correct grammer and they let me stay home. Whenever I want, really. But sometimes they wonder, Is he really telling the truth?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The last sick day I had IIRC, was the day that the shuttle disintegrated over Texas in 03.    I sat and watched that on the news all morning.

I did miss a school day a few weeks back because I had strep throat, but that only ruined my weekend and I was fine by the time I had to work again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I missed 2 weeks when I had a heart attack.  Before that, I had not had a sick day in almost 4 years with my current company.  When I worked for BellSouth, I missed 4 days in 15 years.  2 of those days were when I got knocked off my motorcycle on the way in to work one morning.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#23]

lets see. 2 years ago, nearly twisted my ankle right off of my body, took 3 days off.

3 years ago, got a virus of some sort, 102+ degree fever, couldnt eat, bed ridden for 5 days and went back to work asap after that. otherwise, i ALWAYS work no matter how shitty i feel.

im a small business owner / sub contractor so... i gotta tought it out to pay the bills
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I feel guilty when I call in sick. No matter how sick I am.

I hate to call in sick, I dont mind missing class though
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't call in unless I am sick.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Uh...guess I'm the odd man out.

I've missed 12 hrs worth of work in 27yrs.  6hrs one day about 10yrs ago & 6hrs another about 7yrs ago.  In both cases I was just to damn ill to stick it out for the day.

I work with a worthless piece of shit & waste of skin who gets sick at the drop of a hat.  You can depend on him being sick once in EVERY two week pay period.  He's tossed the most childish excuses up & continually gets away with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
called in sick only a couple of times.

did ditch French class for nearly a semester before I got caught.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
No sick days in 16 years (knock on wood).  I've also about two months in vacation  backlogged.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I am waiting for the French members to chime in  Does a hang-nail count as a 5 day sick pass?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel like an ass when I call in sick, like I'm forcing others to do my work. In the last 8 years I've called in sick to work one time, and I wasn't really sick, I was just tired of my job but that was like 3 years ago and I finally left there

What really sucked is one day I was at work and threw up all over the floor cuz I was seriously sick-AND THE FUCKERS WOULDN'T LET ME GO HOME!!!

ETA: now that I think about it, the reason I called in was that I had just hooked up with my now ex and we were doin the deed all night long
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The only time I've called in sick when I wasn't sick was for a summer job I had when I was in college.  I thought a whole bunch of us were calling in, including the manager, but it turned out it was just me and one other guy.  Oops.

As for actually being sick, the last time I called in was about 4 years ago.  I had an upper respiratory infection, was coughing constantly so couldn't sleep at all, lost my voice, etc.  I think that was the only time.  I did leave early once about a year ago though.  I was getting a really bad cold, and had already worked about 50 or 60 hours that week, had all my work done and knew they wouldn't need me for the rest of the day, so I said screw it and went home and slept it off.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sick now, and at work, now.  I'm not working my ass off, but I'll take calls and help out if needed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I get TONS of sick leave.Have used maybe 5- 10 days,over the last 18 years.I HATE lazy SOBs that abuse such things.IF I can get out of bed,I work!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I only get (2) paid sick days a year, so I save them for times when I am F'ing sick of work!

Mental health days off are the best!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm "exempt" so never.  When I was bargaining unit, about four times a year, whether I was sick or not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I have taken two sick days total since 1992, and I have missed another 5 days for funerals, in that same time span.  Both of the sick days were for food poisoning type no fucking way I'm moving three feet from the bathroom situations.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't missed a day of work since sometime in 1999.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe twice in the last 13 years!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#39]
0-2 days a year. I have 3 youngs kids who seem to pick up everything and pass it on.  If I dont feel like I'm going to die I go to work.  Everyone at work likes to pass things around so I feel like I should return the favor :)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I was out for 2 weeks this past December due to mono. Other than that, I get sent home because Im sick, I just grin & bear it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#41]
When I'm not sick, NEVER. I value my job & paycheck too much.

This disease (BRD) I have doesn't allow for it!

BTW I very rarely get sick, unless it's the "brown bottle flu", then I go anyway cause I know the consequences when I start  that morning.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#42]
i've been too sick to go to work on two occasions.

and on one occasion, i called in sick when i wasn't.  i would never put my workload on my co-workers like that, but the situation called for it...  one of my friends was coming home from iraq and i had put together a big week end get together for him.  i had made it clear 3 months in advance that i needed the day off, and i was given the okay.  

anyways, the general manager quit, and some bitch that had it out for me took over.  3 days before my friend came home, she changed my schedule.  i got someone to cover for me, but she refused and said i had to be there.

anyways, i called in sick, and a bunch of us ended up quitting because of the "little hitlers" that had taken over management.  my new job paid me 4X as much starting, they worked around MY schedule, and have a much better benifits package.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
.. If I'm really sick, I just stay home and conduct my work from there.

Yup me too, Remote access is the shit!! I was working while they did my chemo 250 miles away from home..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I have called in sick, ONE time in FOURTEEN years.
I do have 18 paid vacation days, 15 Holidays, 4 personal days, and we get 8 extra vacation days a year if we don't use medical leave
Sean
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#45]
3 Years ago, I had Hernia Surgury on a Tuesday, and was at my desk working Wednesday [THE NEXT DAY]  My Boss asked me why I didn't take off more time, and I replied that I had to keep up my rep as the toughest guy in the office...  *That* unthinking comment followed me for a long time..

With that job, I was only actually "sick" that one day.  Every other sick day I took was scheduled along with my Vacation because they were use-it-or-lose-it days.  I don't normally get sick, and the few times I do, it never lasts....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I only call in if I am too sick to pick up the phone, so really my wife calls for me.

There is only five of us in the whole company and I have been known to take a Friday off to hunt, but only if the workload is light.  I do tell them I am going hunting.

Only time I ever really needed to leave early, I was at my first job out of HS working in surgery as a blood mopper and stretcher jockey.  The Firday of my first week I was very sick at lunch and threw it all up, then felt better.  I slowly got worse and had this pain in my lower belly.  I asked to get off early from the head nurse and she said okay, but was on my ass about BSing about being sick.  She thought that I was some rich Dr.'s kid that wanted to go party early.

Well, I am some Dr.'s kid and when I get home, I tell my dad how I feel.  He is a gut doc and feels around on my belly.  He hits the sore spot, and tells me to go back to work and ask them to remove my appendix.  

You should have seen the look on that nurses face when she had to come pick me up at the ER (it was after hours) and take me to surgery, in to a room that I had cleaned not three hours earlier.  Glad I did a good job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I dont play that game!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#48]
well i drug my ass to work this morning.  lucky me.

got in late enough to see the sun rise.  most of the time i miss it.  
it was nice.  like a big red grapefruit.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Before this job never.

Skydiving for a living is different, the sniffles can end my day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#50]
If your too sick to go into work then stay home!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top