Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 8:59:29 AM EDT
on average,how long will a stainless steel barrel last? this barrel is a 16'
and it is a HB-HB,which I hears helps dissapeat heat better then the M4 style barrels like the one pictured on the AR-15 in the upper left portion of this website.Let's assume this carbine is not abused,and is only rapid fired for quick bursts,and not too often.Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Longer than you. Or your kids.

I would guess over 100k rounds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
are you serious??!?!
remember,I said a stainless steel barrel,not a chrome-lined one.I heard the chrome ones last alot longer.ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND ROUNDS for this 16 inch stainless steel HB-barrel?????
seriously???
WHOOHOO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy life and Seviceable life are two different things remember.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
well,I mean,the life of how many rounds before it completely begins to suck.I'm not in competitions or anything,but I do like how accurate the ARs are.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on how fast and hot you get your barrel.If it is good quality and you keep your barrel cool I would say 15,000.Maybe more or less by 5000.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
the barrel is DPMS
which is supposed to be of excellent quality.I don't shoot like crazy,I somtimes like to do quick 5 shot bursts and stuff,but mostly single shot,with a few seconds in between.I normally use 90 rounds per outing,90 rounds spread over 2 hours.It's very modest compared to some of the guys on the board,which have stated using whole battle packs in an hour:)
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, kind of skipped over the stainless steel part.  CIB is right, accuracy vs. serviceable life are quite different.  Sounds like the way you shoot, you most likely will not have to replace it. Given proper maintenance.  I would say if you notice accuracy going down the drain you may have worn it out and if so, you had fun doing it.  So replacing it would not be that bad for the fun factor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Before replacing it I would investigate re-crowning. Sometimes this is all it needs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I clean it with a USGI cleaning kit,with Hoppes#9,and at the end,a patch with BreakFree CLP.I clean the gun after every use.I like to hear that "you may not need to replace it"
makes me feel happy knowing I won't have to put aside $200 something bucks for a spare barrel.Re-crowning? the crown in the chamber end of the barrel right?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top