Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 6:13:42 PM EDT
Anyone been to either of these places??  We are getting married on the 13th of june and I am ready to book a vacation.

I had another thread on general ideas and I think I have narrowed it down to Jamaica or Cancun, what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Jamaica man, for sure. That be the place ta' go, don't ya' know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Cancun.  Jamaicans are assholes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's for honeymoon, may as well go to Jamaica, Cancun is much more fun single!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Jamaica has the best smoke though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like Reggae....I love it!.....10cc

Actually, last people I talked to who had been to Jamaica did not have a good time!  Very dirty and the locals couldn't keep their hands off his wifes and daughters asses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Cancun. Jamaica has a horrible crime problem. Lots of tourists who ignored the warning of not leaving the resort they are staying at, have been the victims of robberies, kidnappings, and murders.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Cancun, way better then Jamaica.  Have been to both and Jamaica suck ass, unless you stay on the resorts.   Might want to take a look at the ABC islands.  Loved Aruba
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as not leaving the country, that was our original plan but we have both been to Hawaii and Alaska is not tropical enough for a honeymoon imo.

The Florida Keys seem boring to me from what I read on the internet and the So. Cal beaches are too crowded and we go there all the time for weekends anyway.  So Cancun seemed like a natural, I have ruled out Jamaica as of now based on what you guys have said.

The Bahamas would be nice too??
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought both were shit holes...

Now The Grand Caymans... That's where it's at! Beautiful, classy, safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought both were shit holes...

Now The Grand Caymans... That's where it's at! Beautiful, classy, safe.

That is a great suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Cancun is great because the locals love Americans, Jamaica didn't feel real warm and cozy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wouldn't leave this contry for anything right now. Try Hawaii or Alaska.

same here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Been to both, and I would never return to either, but that's just me. Jamaica isn't a particularly safe place, and Cancun is just a big party followed by endless diarrhea. Oh yeah - and watch out for the kids selling flowers and stuff at night - many of them are pickpockets.

Cozumel is nice, a bit quieter than Cancun, and you can easily go to Cancun for a day or two from there if you want (by ferry or plane).

Bahamas are nice as well, as are the Caymans, and (believe it or not) Grenada.

Costa Rica is supposed to be nice, but I've never been there.

Plinker
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been to Jamaica.  I probably won't go again, but it was fun.  Quick run down:

- Nice weather
- Guys with uniforms and funny hats inspect your luggage upon arrival
- People will try to sell you weed
- The country is very poor.  If you go on any tours of the island you will see many little "towns" consisting entirely of shacks in mud.
- Jamaicans will want a "tip" for everything.  To take their picture, to take your picture, to give you directions, etc.
- An all-inclusive resort is great. You stay on the resort on the ocean, probably with a pool and hot tub, a few restaurants, some nightly entertainment, some even have free drinks, etc.  They'll usually have tours that cost a little extra to go see some tourist attractions.  I think you're pretty safe on these tours.
- The roads are crazy.  Cars pass around blind turns, pull out in front of you (but honk their horn to let you know), pass when there is oncoming traffic... The police stations keep wrecked cars out front to hopefully convince people to drive more cautiously.

Oh edited to add:

I was very very happy to arrive back in the US of A, and see good ol' American police!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
ST Thomas , St Johns, St Croix

US Virgin Is

u wont be sorry
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cozumel is nice, a bit quieter than Cancun, and you can easily go to Cancun for a day or two from there if you want (by ferry or plane).

Seconded. You're but a plane or ferry away from all sorts of historical sites (if you're into that)...I spent several weeks there for 3 or so summers. (Parents vacation, I was in HS the last time we went...some 12+ years ago..sheesh)

Saw a lot of ruins, nice beaches...etc.

Just don't go during hurricane season. Last time I was there, Hugo wiped a large part of where I was staying out...funnily enough, a girl who was staying at the other end of the island that I knew, her side was untouched. (I was on the east side). East side is best for sun, surf and sand, flat out...west side is kind of disconnected, but still nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't care for Jamaica or Mexico.

Maybe Bermuda?

Brian
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Have'nt been to Jamaica...... Cancun is jam packed with drunk American teenagers. HOWEVER,  there is a little island just a 15 minute ferry ride from Cancun called Isla Mujeres. It is nice and quiet, the beaches(playa norte, especially) are great. The atmosphere is really laid back and no McDonalds, Senor Frogs or any other of that greasy kids stuff. The locals are friendly and there are a minimum of hustlers.
 For a honeymoon Tulum would be a good place. It is about 50 miles south of Cancun. Also very quiet. Lots of the little cabanas on the beach. There are some really cool Mayan ruins right on the beach.
 I spent a month down there a year ago, pretty much checked out the whole Mayan Rivera area. IM me if I can answer any Q's for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seconded. You're but a plane or ferry away from all sorts of historical sites (if you're into that)...I spent several weeks there for 3 or so summers. (Parents vacation, I was in HS the last time we went...some 12+ years ago..sheesh)

Saw a lot of ruins, nice beaches...etc.

Just don't go during hurricane season. Last time I was there, Hugo wiped a large part of where I was staying out...funnily enough, a girl who was staying at the other end of the island that I knew, her side was untouched. (I was on the east side). East side is best for sun, surf and sand, flat out...west side is kind of disconnected, but still nice.

Oh man! I forgot about that.  Me and my wife were tracking hurricane something-or-other (back in late '99?) before our trip to Jamaica... luckily it turned and went North.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Go with the Virgin Islands/Antilles.  St Thomas, St Lucia, St Martin, St Kitts, Dominica, Barbados... those places are the defintion of paradise and the locals are extremly friendly.  Caymans are nice too and a bit closer.  I repeat my warning about Jamaicans, they are not pleasant.  I dig Mexico too, cancun is a great place to party.  But, for a honeymoon the islands are the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Cancun, but go in Feb. the weather will so much cooler
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, this Sandals place looks AWESOME, it says right on the description it is for heterosexual couples ONLY, NO HOMOS!!!!   I can't beleive they haven't been sued yet.

Property Amenities
Click to view a virtual tour
The resort's health-and-beauty spa includes three hot and cold plunge pools. Complimentary facilities consist of men's and women's eucalyptus steam baths, saunas, and vanity/shower areas, and a fitness center furnished with cardio machines, weight-training equipment, and free weights. Various fitness classes are conducted daily.

Fees are charged for body treatments, facials, and massages, as well as nail care, hair braiding, and beauty treatment such as paraffin heat, makeup, and body waxing.

The resort offers a variety of after-dark entertainments. Guests enjoy nightly game-show contests in the Royal Theater. Afterward, a band plays for dancing, with entertainment by a Bahamian singer. Most Fridays, staff and guests present a talent show.

This resort is for adult, heterosexual couples (singles, children, and homosexual couples are not allowed).

# Swimming pool - outdoor  
# Private beach  
# Swim-up bar  
# Spa services on site  
# Spa or sauna  
# Concierge services  
# Complimentary newspapers in lobby  
# Fitness equipment  
# Bar/lounge  
# Restaurant(s) in hotel  
# Nightclub  
# Parking (free)  
# Limo or Town Car service available  
# Parking (valet)  
# Conference room(s)  
# Business center  
# Audio-visual equipment  
# Internet access in public areas - surcharge  
# Wake-up calls  
# Number of rooms: 405  
# Porter/bellhop  
# Express check-in/check-out  
# Security guard  
# Multilingual staff  
# Safe-deposit box - front desk  
# 24-hour front desk  
# Currency exchange  
# Medical assistance available  
# Tour assistance  
# Gift shops or newsstand  
# Dry cleaning service  
# Turndown service  
# Maid service daily  
# Arcade/game room  
# Garden  
# Pool table  
# Air-conditioned public areas  
# Caters to couples  
# Wheelchair accessible  

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Watch out with the all inclusive places.  My family went one once and it was nice but BORING.  I suppose it would be nice for a honeymoon though, since all the activity shoudl be in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#27]

I went to an all-inclusive in Jamaca for my honeymoon. An all-inclusive
can be great, everything is covered and you don't need to worry about
money, the exchange rate or tipping. The only downside was I felt I was
wasting money anytime we ate away from the resort. It was great
because the island was empty of tourists. We went there Feb 1991. For some reason
people didn't want to travel during the first Gulf War.  The only time
we had reason to be afraid was when we were in a cab. The drivers
really are crazy.

You will be offered weed repeatedly. "Wanna 'moke?" was the most common phrase
I heard there. If you make eye contact with a dealer, even a quick glance, they
will run after you trying to close a deal.  We were also told we were under more
scrutiny on return to U.S. becuase of the drug problem. Try not to look like a
dealer on your return. The long haired hippy type on our return flight seemed to
get everything but the anal probe at customs.

I understand it's become dramatically more dangerous in the last 13 years, gangs
in Montego Bay and Kingston have been fighting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If you stay at Sandals, I would recommend either Dunn's River or Negril.  My wife and I stayed at Dunn's River last year and really enjoyed it.  If you're a drinker, you'll really love it.  All alcohol is included in the package price, although they don't carry US Beer at the resort.  It's Red Stripe, a local company, but I didn't hear too many people complaining.  I don't drink, but I brought some 10 year Appleton Estate Rum back for my brothers at $7/bottle, which I've seen back here for around $20.  We stayed around the resort most of the time, and only went on 2 tours.  Went snorkeling 3 times and water skiing once, all included.  My Brother and his wife stayed in Negril last August and really liked it also.  They went Scuba Diving.  They definately push the Gonga.  I had one guy offer it to me in the airport while I was trying to find my luggage.  If you want anymore information, just IM or E-mail me.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you looked into the Dominican Republic?  My girl and I just signed on to an all-inclusive to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus resort in La Romana.  She's been there before, said it was top rate and the price was riiiight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I booked Cancun last night.  We will be staying at the Sheraton in Cancun right on the beach. It was by far the best deal for the caliber of hotel it is.

Anyone looking to book a trip make sure you check out Expedia.com, they were about 30% less across the board from Travelocity.com.

Thanks for all the tips!!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Haha. The Jamaicans don't like any "Bati-boys" in their resorts.

Be prepared to spend a lot in Cancun. Its going to be $50 a person for any restaurant there, since they know there really isn't anywhere else to go.

But have a great trip, happy honeymoon!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]

good choice, I would definitely go with Cancun over Jamaica

(I would pick Cozumel over Cancun too)

Have fun!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I love Jamaica, but only on the all-inc resorts. We really like 'sandals' there. The best people on the island work there and the beach, food, and drinks are all top notch.

The rest of the island is a 3rd world hole.

EDIT--also look at sandals montego bay (not the downtown love nest, the party place near the airport). Cheaper and the party lasts from 6ish until 1am (as late as you can stay up after drinking in the sun all day).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top