Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 10:52:06 PM EDT
a little after 11pm i went to walmart for some loc tite and 9mm value packs..i couldn't figure out why there were so many people there..figured it was because of the marathon (damn runners) and then later found out it was for the harry potter book.  i guess hillary had some bad timing cause this will overshadow her book which is good.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL

You know you were there in costume, waiting in line! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
the crowd looked more like they were going to a rock concert (lite alt rock, as i sported the hardcore look and was obviously way cooler).  i saw my friends wife and her eyebrows looks all fucked up and thick...maybe she did that for the book thing..she's kinda big and aggressive so i didn't inquire.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey I am one to admit I like the Harry potter books but geez people... I can wait... besides I have to finish quite a few books I started already:

Harry potter #3
Sean Hannity: Let Freedom Ring
Ann Coulter: Slander
Anthony Bourdain: Kitchen confidential
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]"...she's kinda big and aggressive so i didn't inquire"[/b]

Fraidy cat. [nana]

cynic
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I was doing a ride along with a police officer friend of mine today and one of the stops was a Target for a punky little shoplifter.  In their security office they had about thirty cases of the books, being "guarded" until midnight.  Thought it was kinda funny.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Retarded gay shit...

Oh wait, did I say that outloud?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the only book on your list that I would read.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the only book on your list that I would read.
View Quote

Its pretty funny. You will never look at a restaurant again the same way but then again, I worked in restaurants so nothing is new to me there...

... sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Standing in line at midnight for a HP book makes no sense to me, and I'm a bibliophile.

OTOH, seeing Ann Coulter and Harry Potter above Hillary Clinton on the best seller/pre-sale lists is great!

Gwen in L.A.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
God I don't know which is more funny.

The Harry Potter "trekkies" waiting in line to buy this horseshit at midnight

or

The endless parade of butt nuggets who insist Harry Potter books are creating a generation of occultist and satan warshippers.

I really, really like Tom Clancy books, Unintended Consequences and Black Hawk Down. But I would never have stood in line at midnight to be able to buy one.

The only time I ever bought something on "release day" was 1988 when I bought Run DMC's "Tougher Than Leather" album and that was because I just happened to be in the store that day. Somebody told me I should "keep the reciept" to prove it was a first day purchase and I looked at him like he was a moron. 15 years later he is still a moron.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I freely admit that I was one of those people waiting until midnight to buy the book.

I had my 8 year old and 10 year old in tow, my wife skipped the long wait.  We did have a very nice meal out.  Barnes and Nobles is to be highly commended, they put on a *great* production for the kids, they had seperate tables setup, they had door prizes, they had food (pumpkin juice?) they had college age girls in costume wandering around, being friendly, they had free photos with differnet characters.

I would go again tonight, the kids had a blast and it was fun being with them when they were so into something.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Well it's not half as disturbing as when Windows 98 was released.  (I think it was 98)

I saw news footage of a CompUSA that was opening at midnight to release the OS and the line was filled with chubby, middle-aged geeks.  When the doors opened....some of them actually RAN into the store.  The manager had to yell for everyone to please walk.

That's the day I lost faith in humanity.  [V]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I freely admit that I was one of those people waiting until midnight to buy the book.

... they had college age girls in costume wandering around, being friendly, they had free photos with differnet characters.

View Quote

So um...what kind of costumes were they wearing???
[:P]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#14]
What's worse, there are people out there who bought the book and alread set upon scanning it, posting the chapters as they come along.
Right now, I have chapters 1 through 38 of the Brit version on my PocketPC :P
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Am I the only one here that thinks the book would be nice at 50 yards...

Edited for spelling 223spree
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Am I the only one here that thinks the book would be nice at 50 yards...
View Quote

Dude, It got my 8 year old son to read, I have tried everything to do that, read to him, tapes, books on all subjects, the only books he enjoys are technical manuals (arghh, tell me about it).

He picked up HP 1, when my daughter was done with it and plodded his way through it, went on to two, and so on.

I would have paid *big* money to any author that could spark the love of reading in him, this way I didn't have to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i saw my friends wife and her eyebrows looks all fucked up and thick...maybe she did that for the book thing..she's kinda big and aggressive so i didn't inquire.
View Quote

Hahahahahaha....I know who that is....
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I pre-ordered the book from Amazon.com a week ago. I got an e-mail notice Friday morning that the book had been shipped. It was in today's mail. At $17.99, free shipping. Beats standing in line any time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Took my son to Borders at midnight to get a copy.  They gave out line numbers to buy the thing.  We were #544.  It took about 90 minutes.  I grabbed a couple of gun mags and some technical books I've been wanting to look at and caught up on my reading.  Hell, I can't remeber the last time I got 90 basically uninterrupted minutes to read.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top