Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 4:41:40 AM EDT
under  200$ what is a good basic card to have. i have a  old,,old  radeon 7000(old vodoo ithink) LOlits been that long. i did a new noard rebuild  1/2 year ago and the card is the only non new  componet. i didnt have the cash at the time.  im looking for something that is  for gameing pretty much. i only play BHD online and such, since i can do anything newer with this crappy card! LOL..
system is win 2000,pent 4 1.4, dual 256ddr, with a 655msi board.  i have enuff room for 2more ddr slots. 4 pci slots and one agp( used by above POS card)
as is aid nothing to fancy just enuf to get me back  up to semi modern speed!LOL.. cuz there is alot of games i want to play that i cant right now! thanks for any help
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Look for an AGP GeForce 6600GT.  Anything more than that will just be overkill in that system to be honest, since your CPU will bottleneck anything bigger than that.

You should be able to score one of those for $200 or under with no trouble.  Make sure it is the GT version, they are very very much worth it over the standard 6600.  A 6600GT will be like night and day compared to that card you have now.  They are very good cards, and can even run the newest games with ease.  Here are some links to some -

MSI NX6600GT-VTD128SP ($198) - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127170

Asus N6600 GT/TD/128M ($187) - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121195

eVGA 128-A8-N350 ($159) - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

Those three there are pretty good cards.  There are some brands to stay away from though, when looking at nvidia cards.  Stay far away from XFX 6600GT cards, they have known troubles.  Also Rosewill and AOpen cards are kind of flakey too.  

The best you can probably find is a BFG Tech (lifetime warranty), but they were not in stock at newegg right now, which is why I did not provide a link.  That MSI card is very very good, but is also why you pay a little more.  I personally run Asus video cards almost exclusively in my machines, ever since the GeForce2 days, and their build quality and overclockability is exellent.  When shopping for the card, make absolutely sure that it says AGP, and not PCI-Express.  You wont be able to use the PCI-Express card in your machine.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info,, tho this AM i went  down to best buy( dont ask)  and found a  6200gforce for 100$ i  got it home been workin on it for 3 hours now,, cpu wouldnt work! !!

seems the card isnt sitting dep enuf in the agp slot? what can i do now?  the old card works, no issues at all,,only reason i am  here now LOL..   im gonna bring the other card back but  i think they will only let me swap out to another card thats the same!   any ideas on what would cause this to happen.
also while i was out got a new cable, and another 256ddr  on sale for 17$ at another shop!

and to think all this just so i can play some new games,,,  LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top