Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:54:44 PM EDT
i was at a stop and was rear ended. he was going about 15-20mph and i was pushed into the car in front of me. i am not injured very bad. as for my car it will need atleast new front and rear bumpers a new trunk and my muffler will need repair. after the adrenalin wore off my knee started to throb. i saw in my rear view that he was not able to stop in time so i braced for the collision. i think that is how my knee got hurt. after we got each others info i used my cold steel knife to cut away parts of my bumper that were pressed against my tires so i could drive home. i went to the doctors to get checked over . she said my knee was just strained and i would feel pain in my neck and on my chest where the seat belt had dug into. she was telling the truth i didn't sleep much last night and when i woke up i was feeling pain in my neck but not much pain on my chest. my knee stil felt the same. this is my first accident and i will call my insurance company on monday but what else should i do? thanks for the help
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My Daughter wrecked last Saturday, no one hurt. Called Ins. Company as soon as we got home.

Best wishes to ya.

Danny

P.S. I/we did not discuss events with anyone other than LE/ins co. regarding accident, had training at work not to do so.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
here is a piece of good advice.

When posting longer posts, space each line out, don't type non stop.

Tab down a couple of times,

that way, when someone goes to read your post, they won't be scared away.

as far as your calling you insurance company, you are on the right track.

Did you get pictures of the scene?

Did the cops write a ticket to anyone??
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
did not get any pics. a cop did show up but did not ticket anyone and did not want to write a report.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Does you call local PD and make a police report? After that call your insurance company, and wait for further instructions from them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't sign a settlement.
Document everything.
Don't try to get more than what you need to pay the doctor bills or loss of work.
Be fair so the rest of us don't pay for your misfortune.

Hope all turns out well.

MT
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Fill out an accident report with your state DMV.

I'm still waiting for my truck to come back from the repair shop after I got rearended at a stop light.  The cops came but did not write the guy a ticket.  He gave us forms to fill out and then we exchanged them.  The cop did sign the forms, so we can show the cops were at the scene.

Be sure to have a GOOD repair shop check out your car for damage that is not easily seen.  I thought it wasn't too bad and the more I looked, the more damage there was, including some bad frame damage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
He rear-ended you???  Stick it to his insurance company...HARD...NO VASELINE!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
did not get any pics. a cop did show up but did not ticket anyone and did not want to write a report.

You're Fucked with no grease.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're Fucked with no grease.

LAPD routinely does not write up an accident unless the damage was over a certain value or there were injures or death.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
WEll here is what happened to me.

Insurance company took a few months to pay, I was hit 3 more times before I got money off the 1st one.

Went to hospital for hurt wrist, they claimed it was sprained, that was March, it still hurts to this day.

Try to avoid driving the car, I had to drive mine as it was the only way around, ate up 2 front tires because it had messed the alingment up.

The body shop will probaly try and screw you.  They tried that on me.  First one, the whole car needs to be repainted.  2nd one, only the parts we can get will fit, the others wont.  3rd one It will cost too much to get new parts, they will repair the old ones.

Now here is accident 2.

Body shop wants to total car for approx $4k in damage when the car value is approx $10k

Get care the hell away from there, and these were the people the insurance company recommends.

Insurance company wants it fixed cheapest, halfassed way possible.

Ended up fixing car myself, took longer and looks bad still but I took it as a lesson.
Dont try to have a decent care because it will get messed up.
These days I want to get hit again, and I want it to be bad.

Also my 2nd car got hit twice, both with no insurance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What!!???

no shit.

failure to stop wihin an assured clear distance.

failure to control.

the guy that started things should have been cited if you/driver ahead of you were legally stopped.

+1

Horseshit. I get a ticket for very slowly rolling thru a stop sign where it is impossible to see cross traffic over a gaurd rail. This guy tries to roll thru an intersection with vehicles in it and gets off? Fuck that nonsense. I guess I should have lightly hit someone and whined to the OSHP officer about the "minimal damage". Could have saved myself a $90 ticket.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
As I heard longly and strongly from my sister in law the land shark after the last time I got rear-ended. complain of pain.  That oughta get at least a report written as it now becomes an injury accident, and it goes on the logs at least. Plus it may get you a ride to the hospital and at least a set of x-rays. and a better chance of a report (too late now, file for future reference)

since you saw it coming, you tensed up and probably reduced some injuries and incrreased some a little.  You are going to hurt but good in a few days when the adrenaline and initial tightening up starts to loosen up.  You may find you have more that sprains, you may have some strains,

As far as no report. none was taken at my last where I was the first guy hit (leaving a  major shooting event in fact)  A little car cut a Suburban off, he slammed the brakes, and stopped, I barely stopped in time (in my 3/4 ton 4x4)  the big pu behind me (new purchased used 3/4 ton GMC pu) hit me, the pu behind him stopped and the surburban behind him hit him and shoved him into the guy behind me.  (Note for the record -throw the lemonade out the window when you see it coming splashing lemonade all over the dash and cab is not easy to clean up)  luckily most of the damages were bumpers, any little car in that would have been history.  No report and insurance companies handled.  No tickets.

In CA an officer almost always has to witness the infraction to issue a ticket, like a misdemeanor, he can't make an arrest if he didn't witness or a citizen doesn't make a citizens arrest first  or a  court  issues a warant.  they can however include in the report that the cause was driver X  did xxxx  or violated Vehicle code Section tc.

Some states may be different, an officer may be able to ticket without witnessing

sounds like you
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Rule #1, keep the phone number of the best ambulance chaser in your wallet at all times.

Rule #2, if in an accident, no matter how minor, always roll out of the seat onto the pavement yelling "my neck, my neck" " I can't feel my legs". Wait for the ambulance to arrive while moaning in pain.

Rule #3, always get a ride in an ambulance, tell the paramedics someing is making a crunchy grinding noise in your spine.

Rule #4, call the attorney right away.

Rule #5, never settle out of court for less than a new car and enough cash for a decent vacation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
post pics please

sorry bout the wreck...just had one myself 3 weeks ago or so
best of luck to you
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Any time you are in an accident get a police report.

2. Get a lawyer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top