Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:43:29 PM EDT
i read somewhere that when cleaning a 10/22 or other rifle, it's not advised to put the bore brush in from the muzzle end because it could damage the rifling, and it should instead be put in from the reciever end.  is this true? if so, why?  don't you have to bring it through the muzzle end anyway when you pull the brush back to take it out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You take the brush off and remove the rod.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not exactly.  It is bad to clean from the muzzle becasue you could scratch the crown.  This would allow gas to unevenly pass around the bullet as it exits producing a slight lateral force and throwing off your shot.  Some 10/22 shooters have a hole drilled in the back of the receiver so they can insert the rod from the chamber end.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
damn.  i've been doing it wrong all this time.  guess i have to remove the barrel of my 10/22 now before I use the brush.  that would cause the scope to lose it's zero, right?  would it be ok to put the cleaning rod into the muzzle end, attach the bore brush to the rod in the chamber, then run thr brush through the barrel by pulling the rod back out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the purpose behind this is that if you push off to one side you could rub your cleaning rod against the rifling and damage it. Pushing from the bore you have the chamber to help keep your rod straight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe alot of .22 experts don't advise using a brush at all.

I used one for years and never had a problem. I can't understand how a brass brush could damage steel, but I'm not an expert. YMMV

www.rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If I have no other choice I clean from the muzzle end, Im not going to all the trouble to remove the barrel whenever I want to clean my 10/22. I use a cleaning rod guide, its a small cone shaped thing, usually made out of brass, that slips over your cleaning rod, inserts into the muzzle and keeps the rod straight as it goes down the bore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a bore snake.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I use either a bore snake for quick cleaning, and then every so often I use my Otis kit.  Works like a charm, and I don't get the gunk back in the chamber area ( any more than is already there from shooting it anyway ).

A rod with a bore guide would be a very good idea if you want to use a rod.

-Corn
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Two different issues here.

First, whenever possible most folks like to start the rod from the rear (chamber) end of the barrel so the rod doesn’t constantly rub against and wear the rifling near the muzzle.

Obviously this isn’t possible with some rifles.

Second, many folks prefer to only move the brush or patch from the rear to the front of the barrel so to constantly move the fouling forward and out the muzzle end of the barrel.  Also moving a brush or patch the opposite direction tends to just stir the fouling up and push some of it into the rifles’ working parts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
NONE of my match rifles have EVER had a rod in them.

EVER

Cough up the thirty scoots for an Otis Kit.

Clean from breech to muzzle.

You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
what's a good bore snake?  something like one of these?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I use a bore snake.  

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top