Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT
just wondering because i drive a tractor/trailer delivering beer for a living and i definatly cut every corner i can. its back breaking work as it is and i cut ANY corner every chance i get. i did get caught by my boss one time though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Your short post speaks volumes about your character.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just wondering because i drive a tractor/trailer delivering beer for a living and i definatly cut every corner i can. its back breaking work as it is and i cut ANY corner every chance i get. i did get caught by my boss one time though.

no, cause I get paid to do work. And, work is what they get.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I ALWAYS used to cut corners....sometimes I'd cut out the straightaways too
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If by "cut corners" you mean, "work more efficiently", then yes. Otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you mean its not the american way to cheat em' and how???
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Never.
In my industry, cut corners cost lives.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AHH HAAA U Lazy POS
Bring me my beer Beetch
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
No, I get paid a lot of money to do a professional quality job. I have a lot of integrity and refuse to do sloppy work. If I cut corners or do slipshod work, people around me can get seriously injured or killed.

Do I look for things to make my job easier, Yes. Tools, techniques and training, that's how I cut corners.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cutting corners only fucks myself.  Do it right, do it the first time.  Saves time, saves money.

Today for instance, I was reparing a Case W-36 loader.  After tightening a radiator hose clamp, I just HAD to shove around some dirt to get the engine warm.  Yea, that wasn't a fun job
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
This is going to be one of those threads that didn't go the way the author intended.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]
No. I entered into a business transaction. Days pay for a days wage.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
no
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Cutting corners only fucks myself.  Do it right, do it the first time.  Saves time, saves money.

+1

Eight for 8 and out the gate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I work  efficiently, but strive for quality.

Some of the things I design and build will be bombarded with high radiation fields and will be contaminated. To repair the equipment it would take a lot of man hours. A worker would only be able to work for a couple of hours on the equipment and that would be all the radiological work he could do for the year, another man would have to come in and pick up where he left off. It would also take a lot of radiological support people to manage this.

Others will be operating in scientific equipment that costs tens of thousands of dollars per hour to run, scientists for across the globe will be using it. These are scientists who had to pass a peer review to use this equipment, there time is very valuable.  If my work fails it is an expensive problem.

I do not cut corners.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
just wondering because i drive a tractor/trailer delivering beer for a living and i definatly cheat, steal, lie, avoid being safe, etc whenever cut every corner i can. its back breaking work as it is and i cut ANY corner every chance i get. i did get caught by my boss one time though.

Is that a good interpretation?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cutting corners only fucks myself.  

Me too, if I don't do it right the first time, I'll just have to do it over later.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
i cut corners when my boss tells me too. i get paid to do what they say not think about what i do
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I should hope not
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
My boss has eagle eyes. If I cut any corners I'd just end up doing the job twice. Might as well do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I cut, but not corners.  Never, under any circumstances, and I expect the same from my employees.

I think it is an ethics issue.  You draw your line, and you don't cross it, period.  If you cross it once, it gets easier and easier to do it again, and more significantly, the line starts to shift.

Your post speaks volumes, and sadly, not good ones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

the man delivers beer.  get off his back.

haha
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Pull up to my place and I'll unload a couple of cases for free. I'm happy to help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence in All We Do

You, sir, would NOT hack it in my line of work.  If I cut corners, it means the wrong people get dead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
OH HELL NO!

If I cut corners, people might get hurt or worse.
(I'm a ballistics technician at an ammunition company. Bet you can't guess which one.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Only if you hover over me while Im in your home. Ill take all sorts of shortcuts you wont have any clue about and still leave with the check. You dont know what Im doing, but I do. Just offer me a drink and go away, or just go away. Youll get a much better job. If I wanted an audience Id be in showbiz. Lucky I dont need to do that 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
OH HELL NO!

(I'm a ballistics technician at an ammunition company. Bet you can't guess which one.)

Wolf?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Only if you hover over me while Im in your home. Ill take all sorts of shortcuts you wont have any clue about and still leave with the check. You dont know what Im doing, but I do. Just offer me a drink and go away, or just go away. Youll get a much better job. If I wanted an audience Id be in showbiz. Lucky I dont need to do that 95% of the time.

you must be an electrician.....i was in that biz for a while and i can relate
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Glad you don't work for me. No wonder employers want to hire illegals if this is the attitude of American workers
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on how pissed off I am at the boss.  I know it's wrong, but sometimes I'm in a hurry to get home and the boss gets pushy.  The most unsafe thing I've done was to tape off a breaker instead of using the proper lockout/tagout procedure.  A couple of times I've entered confined spaces without the proper retrieval system, air quality check, and ventilation.

I try not to do these things, but sometimes I have to do what I have to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OH HELL NO!

Wolf?

SLAP!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I do field service and cutting corners is a sure way to a callback for me.  I work unsupervised so all anyone has to go on is my word.  Break that trust and nobody will trust you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
NO!

I am a professional.

I take pride in my work. I do it right the first time.
Very few things I hate more than to do the same job twice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#36]
as a neurosurgeon, i can tell you that precision and attention to detail is paramount in my work.  that being said, do i cut corners?  hell yeah.  i'm just a guy like anyone else --sometimes i get tired.  if i drop an instrument in your head, i may leave it there...its just easier that way.  sometimes i may be running late for my tee time, i know damned good and well that 12 stitches will hold your skull piece in place just as well as the proscribed 48 ever would.  other times i'm just fed up with the hospital or my malpractice insurance company and say "aw fuck it" --i mean its brain surgery, not rocket science.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Must be a union guy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Cutting fat is acceptable, cutting corners is not.

Knowing the difference between the two is pretty much the gist of any job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Did you ever wonder why so many jobs are headed overseas?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Not very often but when I do I use my brick hammer

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]
no. I never cut corners. I let the lazy cunt that never does anything cut the corners
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
as a neurosurgeon, i can tell you that precision and attention to detail is paramount in my work.  that being said, do i cut corners?  hell yeah.  i'm just a guy like anyone else --sometimes i get tired.  if i drop an instrument in your head, i may leave it there...its just easier that way.  sometimes i may be running late for my tee time, i know damned good and well that 12 stitches will hold your skull piece in place just as well as the proscribed 48 ever would.  other times i'm just fed up with the hospital or my malpractice insurance company and say "aw fuck it" --i mean its brain surgery, not rocket science.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#44]
How do you cut corners when delivering beer? Not close the doors to your delivery truck?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuckit, I hate workin for the man.  I work about 14 hours per week and get paid for 4o.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Nope.  And those who do invariably make more work for those of us who do not.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]
this is what happens when you "cut corners"

Actually i think it was road rage, but hey! it had good visuals!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#48]
But what if your job is to cut corners?  Could you cut corners on cutting corners?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
How do you cut corners when delivering beer? Not close the doors to your delivery truck?

Probably gets all his deliveries done in 3 hours, then puts 8 hours on the timesheet, instead of taking on additional deliveries.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll only cut a corner when the fan stops spinning and I need to make that damn runway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top