Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:00:43 AM EDT
Just starting to look into getting a M14semi. But what is the differences between that and a M1a?
Sorry for the noob question.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Happy switch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
cast vs forged
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
M14= NFA, M1A=simple FFL check
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be the semi auto version..
The M14 is forged??
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the bottom of the receiver.

No lug?  Semiautomatic.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It will be the semi auto version..
The M14 is forged??

There are some civilian legal forged M14-type recievers around, but they cost a lot of money. The Springfield Field Armory M1A, a semi-auto M14 look-alike has a cast reciever.

From what I understand there are no or very few true complete USGI M14s in civilian ownership. I think there is more to the cast vs forged debate, just because reciever is forged does not necessarily mean that it is a better receiver, what about the heat treatment and accurate machined and drilled holes?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Noob reply:

true m-14 = forged reciever, select fire.

civi m-14 = cast or forged, semi auto.

m1a = trademarked name of springfield armoury's civi m-14, cast.

ps.   www.lbrarms.com makes a hammer forged m-14 reciever if you feel its worth it and have the money.. (i wish i had the money.. one day...)

Edit.. i have a question of my own.  if i am not making a tac driver, does a rear or double lug receiver do anything for me?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Noob reply:

true m-14 = forged reciever, select fire.

civi m-14 = cast or forged, semi auto.

m1a = trademarked name of springfield armoury's civi m-14, cast.

ps.   www.lbrarms.com makes a hammer forged m-14 reciever if you feel its worth it and have the money.. (i wish i had the money.. one day...)

Edit.. i have a question of my own.  if i am not making a tac driver, does a rear or double lug receiver do anything for me?

The rear lugs and double lugs (rear and forward lugs) DO NOT improve the accuracy of the rifle.  What they do provide is far greater surface area for mating the rifle action the the stock bed.  This spreads out the stresses of firing and keeps the bedding in better shape for a longer period of time, so your rifle will remain consistent for longer between bedding jobs.

If you are looking for a service rifle rather than a competition rifle, then the bedding and lugs are all extra weight and maintenance issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top