Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 6:01:56 AM EDT
I love this new marine camo.  I saw some marines at my local surplus store wearing it.  I think it does a better job of breaking you up than woodland.  Does anyone know how long the marines will keep this proprietary.  I wonder when surplus stores will have it.  

Here's a link to an article about it.  I think it is called MARPAT.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001-01-30-marine.htm
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001-01-30-marine.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks very siumiliar to German Fleck camo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
They pattented it, so if they dont want the Army to have it, I doubt they will let civilians have it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the only way you will get your hands one a set it if you talk a Marine into selling a set to you. Either that or they might be stocked at the base Cash Sales in the future. I dont think they will hit the surplus stores unless there is a civillian version made.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Jan 17, sets of cammies will be on sale at the clothing sales of Marine Bases, however right now there will only be like 2000 sets at each base.

I saw some marines at my local surplus store wearing it.
View Quote

That is in violation of MCO, it can mean NJP if caught. There is no excuse for acting stupid like that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/utility/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/utility/index.html[/url]

View Quote

wow, they actually have many improvements and are sharp looking!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the new camo looks good.

However I think it is a little ridiculas to want new camo just to look different from the army.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think the new camo looks good.

However I think it is a little ridiculas to want new camo just to look different from the army.
View Quote

The Marine Corps switched to Camouflaged utilities before the Army did. Maybe they just want a distinctive look again. You can bet as usual the Army won't be far behind in getting this type of uniform.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey STLRN, one exception to the "no cammies off base" rule are recruiters, who are allowed to use the camoflage utility uniform in off base situations.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Corps got some of the new uniforms out to the recruiters first, as a means to help the USMC recruiters look a little different.

The guys that the poster saw may well have been recruiters out "area canvassing" looking for prospects.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
hicap,
You said that you saw some Marines at a surplus store wearing their new "cammies." Well, it has been a few years for me (1976-1981) but as I remember Marines were not allowed to wear their cammies off base unless they were stationed off base. They could were their cammies from their home to the base and back. They could not even get out and gas up their car. We could wear our civvies or Uniform of the Day off the base. Cammies did not fit the category of Uniform of the Day. I do not remember why. Well, it has been a while. Maybe times have changed. Maybe the base commander has given it the OK. Maybe they were recuiters. Or they were just trying to show off.

By the way does anyone else dislike using the acronym BDU's for cammies and/or utilities. Where did the Basic Dress Uniform crap come from?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]
BDU is Army speak for Battle Dress Uniform.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
OH!!! Figures.

I just cannot get use to seeing military personnel wearing camouflage utilities at the grocery store or in town. We have Luke Air Force base in Glendale and we have some Army testing grounds in Gila Bend. It just looks unsat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They pattented it, so if they dont want the Army to have it, I doubt they will let civilians have it.
View Quote

Here is a direct quote from the article:
"To make sure no one outside the Corps wears the new cammies, the service plans to patent the design, which includes tiny Marine eagle, globe and anchor insignias."
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Jesus!!! With the Fritz on the head and this camo, Marines will look like the Waffen SS or the Swiss Army Grenadiers!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#17]
From what I remember recruiters normally wear Blues delta or charlie and when they do canvassing the area etc they did it in Blue bravos. Only saw recruiters wear cammies when doing pool activities. Until a very short time ago the only people that had the new cammies were a Battalion at Lejeune, Pendleton and 29 Palms. I don't think the recruiters have got hold of them yet.

The rules on cammies have soften over the years, now you can stop to get gas, at a C store if making a small "emergency" purchase (diapers are the example used in the order), at autoservice stations for emergencies only.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/utility/images/SightingIn.jpg[/img]
I wonder what is in his barrel, unless it is light from the camera...?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Holy crap! Where can i get those boots? I hope these become available to the lowly civilians. [url]http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/utility/improvements/boot.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I think this is what you looking for, or very close.

[url]http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/bootseries/790seriespub.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I read somewhere a while back..that this is a computer generated camo pattern...take a picture of the terrain and flora you want to blend into, sort of blur it to obscure details ..I believe the Russians began using this technique so any military using the same technique will probably have similar appearing BDUs
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wonder when surplus stores will have it.  
View Quote
Where there is demand, there will be supply, i.e, it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder when surplus stores will have it.  
View Quote
Where there is demand, there will be supply, i.e, it's just a matter of time.
View Quote

[dvldog]why would anybody need to go buy the new marine camo? if you do you are only a poser. a real marine could wear his pj's and bunny slippers and still outrank you.[/dvldog]

[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Well PonyBoy, i can give you one good reason, I primarily hunt in my scentlok, but when i don't I use surpplus BDU's because the price is about 25% of real tree etc. I for one would like a set of these new bdu's for hunting, they offer more blend than the current bdu and when they are available as used surpplus (in a long while) I'm sure they will cost less than what ever redhat or cabela is selling.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Too Funny Pony Boy. It was a joke people.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OH!!! Figures.

I just cannot get use to seeing military personnel wearing camouflage utilities at the grocery store or in town. We have Luke Air Force base in Glendale and we have some Army testing grounds in Gila Bend. It just looks unsat.
View Quote

As opposed to WHAT?  Class As or Class Bs.  Have you ever worn the uniform?  Maintaining a set of As or Bs for daily use (or so uncomfortable civilians don't feel bad) can be a real pain in the ass, and would be a complete waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well PonyBoy, i can give you one good reason, I primarily hunt in my scentlok, but when i don't I use surpplus BDU's because the price is about 25% of real tree etc. I for one would like a set of these new bdu's for hunting, they offer more blend than the current bdu and when they are available as used surpplus (in a long while) I'm sure they will cost less than what ever redhat or cabela is selling.
View Quote

Chill out dude, I was kidding - referring to this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83216[/url]

I'm the guy who wears BDU's around the house because they are comfortable or to work on Saturday because all of my other pants are dirty and gets strange looks from the other engineers. I also hunt in em a lot of the time and I think the new ones will work much better for that purpose. Believe me, I'll buy the first set I see.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#28]
If the Marines were Smart they would set up Manufacturing Facilities and Manufacture the new BDU's and they SELL them to both Civilians and Army personnel alike and use the money earned to help augument their budget.

This would be a way that Marines can get around always being on the "short end of the stick" when it comes to funding.

I would also like to note that the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army does something similar. They are largely self funding, they own Norinco which make Weaponry and sell rifles and other weapons on the international market.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As opposed to WHAT?  Class As or Class Bs.  Have you ever worn the uniform?  Maintaining a set of As or Bs for daily use (or so uncomfortable civilians don't feel bad) can be a real pain in the ass, and would be a complete waste of time.
View Quote

Well it a matter of it is our regs, you don't do it.  Period, the other services letting their people do what ever they want is one of the things that makes the Corps different than the others.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Chill out dude, I was kidding - referring to this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83216[/url]

I'm the guy who wears BDU's around the house because they are comfortable or to work on Saturday because all of my other pants are dirty and gets strange looks from the other engineers. I also hunt in em a lot of the time and I think the new ones will work much better for that purpose. Believe me, I'll buy the first set I see.
View Quote

I wonder about people, who ever claims cammies are comfortable obviously doesn't wear them enough.  Also I don't care if you wear cammies or a facsimiles of the Marine Cammies. But I take umbrage to those who wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor that don't rate to wear them.  If you want to wear cammies without an EGA, fine.  But many have had to put in a lot of effort in order earn that emblem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If the Marines were Smart they would set up Manufacturing Facilities and Manufacture the new BDU's and they SELL them to both Civilians and Army personnel alike and use the money earned to help augument their budget.

This would be a way that Marines can get around always being on the "short end of the stick" when it comes to funding.

I would also like to note that the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army does something similar. They are largely self funding, they own Norinco which make Weaponry and sell rifles and other weapons on the international market.
View Quote

First that would be a violation of federal law and second.   As I stated in the above if you don't rate an Eagle, Globe and Anchor, don't wear them.  As to the army using the pattern, unless the whole army adopts it, which isn't going to happen, there is no need for them to buy a duty uniform that they cannot wear on duty.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I am finally glad to see the Marine Corps trying to look different than the Army !

I was upset when, whoever makes those decisions, decided to put start placing names and US MARINES on the utility blouses.  

Just one more thing to make the Marines look like the Army.

The Marines SHOULD be different than the Army in appearance!  

I heard awhile back that they were going to do away with the iron-on Eagle, Globe and Anchor all together on the blouses for Marines.

This too upset me when I heard it.  Did they ever implement it??

I noticed on some of the pics of the new camoflage that there WAS a EGA on the pocket.  Whew, glad to see it there!

Boots are similar to the ones I had issued in the Gulf when my heel fell off my original boots from P.I.  Took me forever to get supply to get me a pair.  =/

The new boots look a little better designed.

About recruiters not having them yet.  Hell, we were only issued Desert Night Parkas and no bottoms.  They said they did not have enough...

then the next week I see the freakin' Marine Corps Band parade through the compound with all their instruments and EVERYONE of them was completely decked out with Desert Night Parkas and PANTS !  

I could only shake my head with disgust.

As far as cammies being comfortable...  for all the years I wore them I never thought they were UNcomfortable by any means.

I would like to own a set of the new utilites when they are available.  I just hope they do not have a brain fart and change the design of the cover.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I always thought that the cammys were comfortable too. We wore them alot off duty, except off base. And I would deffinately like to have some of these new issues.

About the iron on EG&A, I wonder how many new Marines ironed on the instructions on their uniforms.

When I was at Quantico my room mate worked at supply and we would get used uniforms from the OCS school candidates. I don't remember if they were from OC's that dropped or were dropped or what ever but we got some good deals.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Ahhhh, memories of cammie etiquette [:)]. I remember one of the coolest things a young marine looked up to, was the "white" cammies worn by the old salts. They were the cammies that had been washed and worn so many times that the colors all faded to really light.

If nothing else, a "salty" Marine had a white cover that he protected with his life because it was so well worn and comfortable and had been ironed so much that even after a wash or when wet, it still had perfect corners! Was kinda funny looking when you had to retire the old cammies for new ones and then wore the old cover with them. Didn't matter, we wouldn't trade the cover for anything!

I eventually had my own set of "white" cammies after about 4 years. This was pre-lightweight crap. I even had the "Elvis" collars from my original issue. This material was heavy and hot, but held up much better to repeated washings "and" ironings. It would eventually take a crease so that it was much easier to iron too.

Many a young Marine tried to imitate the "white" cammies by bleaching their stuff. You could tell immediately because the light browns turned orange (The white fade came from UV in the sunlight and not the washings). Haha, I used to rag them in inspection, but it wasn't a big deal.

I remember when PT Kelly came aboard as commandant. I hate to say bad of a Marine, but his faggy red running shorts deal really pissed me off (and they were faggy even by today's standards). He also was the commandant who made us put our rank on our covers so we could be more like army. Dumbass originally wanted it right on the damn "band" of the cover. Hello!!!! That meant that there were two brass knobs stuck against your forhead. He finally settled for dead center on the front of the cover. Too bad it then covered the eg&a. Oh well..

Still remember when Gray came in and said "my Marines aint wearing faggy red shorts!" He took us back to "Boots and Ute's" for PT. He left the rank in the covers though. Kinda had to or everyone woulda had two little holes in the front of their covers.

Near the end of my time (now under Mundy)we had to do the name tag and Marine tag sew-on thing. Boy, you shoulda heard the bitching. "Just call us the friggin army!"

Not sure what the req's are for uniforms now. I'm sure that the new stuff has UV resistant dyes, so that this white cammie thing is now of the past.

I cant believe they are going to a non-shinable standard boot! Spit polishing builds character [:)]!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah,  surprised me too when they said they were going to no-shine boots.  You would think that someone out there would be too gung-ho to let a tradition like that fade away.

Either way, it makes good sense to me.  Spit shining was a waste of time.  I could think of 50 better things that Marines could be doing other than that....
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#36]
i have a set of the new desert pattern USMC computer cammies. and two covers too.
a little worn but still cool.[devil]

other attributes include:
-one way, silent velcro
-sleeve pockets
-lack of lower jacket pockets
-peter pan colar
-name tape on the butt?
-cargo pockets gusseted with elastic
-terrycloth sweatband and inside top on boonie hat
-internal knee and elbow pad pockets
-elastic adjustable blousing ties
and yes, there are tiny e.g.a.'s printed on them.

damn, this marine had a small head! lol.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top