Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 2:19:36 PM EDT
I just had some regular(not total insanity like ive had before i think total is a little milder due to the garlic?" daves insanity sauce with lunch just now I made the mistake of slathering it on like I do Tabasco  sauce. wasnt so bad at first then a couple seconds later "AHHH dayam thats hot"  well my mouth finnaly cooled down. I got to say that is some good stuff thu.  anyone know the schoville count on it? I know Ulitimate insanity is  125k or so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to find some chinese rooster sauce.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea.  But don't use it like Tobasco unless you're a masochist.  It's hard to put it directly onto food without overdoing it, so I usually use it as an ingredient when I cook.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No idea.  But don't use it like Tobasco unless you're a masochist.  It's hard to put it directly onto food without overdoing it, so I usually use it as an ingredient when I cook.

yeah i kinda found that out the hard way.  oh well wont doesnt kill us makes us stronger.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That is called Sirachi.  Good spicy flavor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Vietnamese isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe it's from Thailand, but all of the Vietnamese restaurants have it.  Look at the label...lots of Thai text on it.  That stuff is GOOD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Daves insanity sauce.......................ouch.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I believe it's from Thailand, but all of the Vietnamese restaurants have it.  Look at the label...lots of Thai text on it.  That stuff is GOOD.

some  regular grocery stores carry that stuff in the "ethinic foods" isle  atleast ive seen  it in stores before never tried it thu.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on my mood, I use Tabasco, BISON chipotle and the Sirachi on a pretty regular basis.
We have a BBQ joint here called Dinosaur BBQ that makes some good but not scorching sauces. And we usually are game for trying new and different Hot sauces as we find them.
Quite Frankly I am not into extreme pain and for me the upper end sauce is just there if you need to prove your manhood. The Dave’s sauces, Scorned Woman etc. no longer are any fun. I add them to whatever sauce I am making and let it go at that.
For years I swore off FRANKS because of the salt cntent, but just found a HOT Franks version that is making me reconsider my level of salt intake.
Enjoy, hot sauce is a necessity once you are into it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an addiction to Tapatio Hot Sauce. Have had it for years now.

Best "general" use hot sauce in the world, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRIRACHA   SREE-RAHTCHA

I keep a bottle in the fridge at ALL TIMES.
This IS really good sauce.

Hot pepper-garlic sauce, but not too hot.
It enhances the flavor instead of buying it in heat.
One place says it's from VietNam, but, I think it's made in California...!  
http://www.westernclassics.com/gmt/hsc/dh_129.html  
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm
http://www.huyfong.com/images/sriracha.jpg   <--- ROOSTER SAUCE
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a link a while ago that listed all the "hot sauces" and their numerical ratings from the bottom of the rung (like Tabasco?) to the ultra hot stuff.  Anyone have that link?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
another really great tasting one is House of Blues, hard to find, not very hot, but oh so good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a Death man myself, but for just general use on scrambled eggs and salmon patties and stuff I've been using some from Tippie that I won at Gunstock. Ahh! Just right!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's a couple:

www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/Firewal.gif

www.firebreath.com/app/site/site.nl/site.ACCT89406/mode.items/sc.2/category.9/.f

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm  

Thanks.

Now, a question:  Tabasco is measured at 2,140 Scoville units.  Am I to believe that the sauce rated right above it here (which is rated at 100,000 scoville units) is almost 50 times (5000%) hotter than Tabasco?!  Then, there's one that's 16 MILLION Scoville units.  Or is this ranking a little misleading and can it not be measured that way?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I like just plain old pickled Jalapenos (Embassa) & the fresh ones I grow on my deck (Home Depot)
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Agreed...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
1. Habanero (red savina)
2. Zimbabwe Bird
3. Tepin Peppers

Are all growing in my backyard now - the red savina's are claimed to be the world's hotest as are the tepin's. There's a new pepper in India called a Tezpur which is suppose to be another 30% hotter than the red savina.

These are pepper's so hot that you handle them like hazardous material with gloves and lots of water washdown after using them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Another pickled jalapeno lover here. Never understood the big deal about bragging how hot your microdot of hotsauce is. Taste is everything, who gives a shit how many SU's it has.

Here's my recipe. Usually make up a gallon at a time and that lasts about a month. I put it on everything except icecream and a boxlunch...

---Couple cans of pickled jalapenos (the whole contents---liquid, stems, carrots, etc)

---Can of pickled serranos

---handful of fresh cilantro

---couple of fresh yellow onions

---few garlic cloves

---SL of salt

---SL of freshground blackpepper

---white vingar

---dash of malt vingar

---filtered water

Everything goes into blender. Zap on WFO till well blended. I pour it from a Grolsch beer bottle. (the ones with the stopper)

Another thumbs up for Sriracha sauce.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's a new one on me, where would one by chance score a bottle to add to his collection?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a new one on me, where would one by chance score a bottle to add to his collection?

It's a standard shelf item here...

www.tapatiohotsauce.com/
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
SRIRACHA HOT SAUCE is my all time favorite! it goes great on asian food or Mexican foods, I use it on my tacos.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
For those of you who enjoy store bought:

Firegirl's Hot Sauce Catalog

And for you do-it-yourself folks:

Texas Hot Salsa
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Them little Thai peppers will kill ya', stay the heck away from em'.
For hot sauce I like Texas Pete's, it's just hot enough without burning the bejesus out of ya.'
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For hot sauce I like Texas Pete's, it's just hot enough without burning the bejesus out of ya.'

Yeah Texas Pete's is a very flavorful sauce,  my company started distributing it a little less than a year ago.  They also have fairly tasty wing sauces.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a standard shelf item here...

Thanks for the link!

www.tapatiohotsauce.com/

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I love Sriracha too.  Great on eggs, meats, etc.  For me, taste is everything, with heat being an added bonus.  I like heat to my food, but I won't use some nasty, bitter hot sauce with a gazillion SUs if it tastes like shit.  Currently, my favorite hot sauce is a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet sauce by WalkersWood.  Smells bad, but tastes great.  They also have a red pepper sauce that's really good.  It's quite cheap too ($2.00 for a decent sized bottle).

I don't have any one favorite sauce.  It all depends on what I'm eating, and what kind of mood I'm in.  I also have a really good carot based sauace that's quite hot, and an orange based sauce that's fairly thick and great with steaks.  They're all at least twice as hot as Tobasco.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
These are pepper's so hot that you handle them like hazardous material with gloves and lots of water washdown after using them.

I like a little Tabasco as much as the next guy, but this no longer sounds like food.

How much "heat" is lost when one of these gems is cooked?  Or are they only used raw?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have about 150 of them Thai peppers growing right now!!!!

Here is a modified Soy sauce that I make, its a Micronesian delicacy!

Lots of Thai peppers
2 cups of Kikkoman Soy sauce - I like the low sodium stuff, actually tastes real good
Lots of onions
Couple spoonfuls of garlic

Just let it set for a couple of days, mmm good!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]
SRIRACHA!!!

is the best, love it, got hooked on it eating Pho, haven't been able to leave it alone since.

P.S.,  just as a word of advice, don't pause to wipe the sweat from your brow, if you are cutting up those thai peppers, its hot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Wait till your asshole burns like a mother f*cker!!

That alone turns me off from hot sauces.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRIRACHA   SREE-RAHTCHA

I keep a bottle in the fridge at ALL TIMES.
This IS really good sauce.

Hot pepper-garlic sauce, but not too hot.
It enhances the flavor instead of buying it in heat.
One place says it's from VietNam, but, I think it's made in California...!  
http://www.westernclassics.com/gmt/hsc/dh_129.html  
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm
www.huyfong.com/images/sriracha.jpg   <--- ROOSTER SAUCE

Oh! That's what you are talking about...All the Pho shops here use it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Another pickled jalapeno lover here. Never understood the big deal about bragging how hot your microdot of hotsauce is. Taste is everything, who gives a shit how many SU's it has.

Here's my recipe. Usually make up a gallon at a time and that lasts about a month. I put it on everything except icecream and a boxlunch...

---Couple cans of pickled jalapenos (the whole contents---liquid, stems, carrots, etc)

---Can of pickled serranos

---handful of fresh cilantro

---couple of fresh yellow onions

---few garlic cloves

---SL of salt

---SL of freshground blackpepper

---white vingar

---dash of malt vingar

---filtered water

Everything goes into blender. Zap on WFO till well blended. I pour it from a Grolsch beer bottle. (the ones with the stopper)

Another thumbs up for Sriracha sauce.

What does the SL stand for?  the only thing I can come up with is shit load.  Also how big are your cans of peppers.  Like to try a half recipe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#35]
As far as I knnow, this is the hottest stuff made.  It is to be used as a food additave only.  I bought the sauce they make that is a level down and I dare friends to dip a toothpick in it and dab it on their tongue.  Without exception, everyone runs screaming after they have done so.

Da Bomb Hot Sauces
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wait till your asshole burns like a mother f*cker!!

That alone turns me off from hot sauces.

I was eating jalepenos with a hunting buddy one day and mentioned that I might need some Ice cream since my asshole would be burning the next day.  He looked funny at me and asked me what I mean and I explained that usually about twelve hours later I knew how hot the peppers were.

He said he never had that problem at all.  He eats hot shit continualy.  All I can figure is he has blown or burned all the nerves out of his ass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't use hotsuace all the time, but when I do, I use "Devil Drops" made from Datil Peppers.  These peppers are from the same family as the Habanero and Scotch bonnets.  The sauce is made in St. Augustine, FL by Dat'l Do It Dat'l Do It

It has a harsh bite at first, but then the rest of the flavor comes thru.  I made some tuna fish sandwiches the other day, and damn did they taste great with a few, well quite a few, drops added in.

Added bonus for this stuff.  It also makes my dogs nuts.  If you have a dog that gets on your nerves, put a little of this stuff on their tounge, and the dog will leave you alone for a few hours.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What does the SL stand for?  the only thing I can come up with is shit load.  Also how big are your cans of peppers.  Like to try a half recipe.

Yep SL is "shit load"
The SL to 28oz can ratio would be about 1 to 2 heaping tablespoons (or to taste)

Try one 28oz can of jalapenos. I use 28oz'ers or #10's (I think that's what it's called). Whatever I have on hand or if my Bud's want some. I don't measure---just pour and/or eyeball.

Sometimes I throw in a can of  Tomatillos or Chipotle peppers also.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I have something called PureCap.  It comes in a script pill bottle and applied with an eye dropper.  It says use one to swo drops per POT of chili.  It's a clear liquid.  I think it's pure capsium.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#40]
The hottest stuff around is the forementioned-Da bomb.

That stuff is so potent, it's INSANE!

A VERY small amount put into a 5 gallon container of soup makes it very spicy...

BUT..

That stuff also loses power once it is exposed to air over a period of time. If you happen to buy a bottle sometime, get one of those cans of inert gas they sell to keep wine and use that to keep it fresh.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#41]
All,

My favorite is El Yucateco.  I prefer the green variety for the unripened hab.  They make several varieties.    I am sure many of you have had it or seen it around.  You will always find it where alot of hispanic folks go to eat, or it is sometimes available behind the counter at your typical tex-mex joint but you have to ask for it.  Most gringos prefer the lightweight salsa at those joints, so the restaurant owners do usually display these real hot sauces.  

Note: It is very good and cheap.  No fancy labels or names here.  I can buy this stuff at a mexican specialty grocer here in Kennesaw, GA for about $2.50 per bottle as compared to $5.00+ for most of the fancy named varieties with the cool pics on the label.  Anyway here is there website if you are interested:

http://www.elyucateco.com

EL YUCATECO HOT SAUCES
HABANERO GREEN HOT SAUCE

It is made with another of our classic recipes: fresh green habanero peppers, garlic, select spices and seasonings. This special mix of ingredients gives a homely and fresh flavor to your dishes.

It is ideal to accompany any kind of food, specially meat and cold dishes. Re-invent Guacamole with a few drops of this incredible hot sauce.

Pugency: 8,910 Scoville Units

Quantity Box Pallet  
4 fl. oz. 24 160
8 fl. oz. 24 110

Interesting trivia on the scoville unit:

This test is named after Mr. Wilbur Scoville who invented in 1912 an easy method to measure the levels of Capsaicin in the hot peppers. This invention was the result of the development studies for the preparation a muscle ointment named HEET, which contains this chemical agent who gives the heat to the hot peppers. The pungency of chile peppers is measured in multiples of 100 units, from the bell peppers at zero Scoville units to the incendiary Habanero at 300,000 Scoville units¡ This substance makes a chile so hot¡. Pure Capsaicin rates over 15,000,000 Scoville Units.
At present time the most advanced way to measure the heat is the HPCL or High Performance Liquid Chromatography, which is expressed in Scoville Units, too. In this procedure, chile pods are dried, then ground. Next, the chemicals responsible for the pungency are extracted, and the extract is injected into the HPLC for analysis. This method is more expensive than the previous, but it allows to determinate the amount of individual capsaicinoids. The NMSU Chile Breeding and Genetics Program have analyzed more than 1,400 samples using this method and have found that it´s very reliable and safe.

Defilade out

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
AZ-K9:

Must concur: no aftertaste at all-- distilled essence of flamethrower. In fact I'm gonna go make some scrambled eggs right now so I can eat some more!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#43]
It doesn't get any hotter than this:
extremefood.com/product.php?id=107

As for stuff you can actually eat, the above mentioned Tapatio is good.  Others I like are Cholula (look for the wooden top) and Belinda's.

Once you've had to remove your contacts a couple hours after making salsa, you'll tread ALL chiles as if they're hazardous matreials.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#44]
at Christmas we had an employee barbecue, one of the lineman pulled a bottle of Habenaro green looking crap out.  That was some stout stuff everyone of us who tried it had sweat rolling off our brow.  It was awful hot but the flavor really wasn't that good to me.  I like flavor along with my hot.  I think Cholula is much superior to Tabasco. But then again I like Lousianna hot sauce, price and taste, over Tabasco.

NoName I'm gone give that recipe a try, have all ingredients but the malt vinegar,  Might substitute a shot of Corralejo tequila,WTF?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#45]
The heat is not what bothers me with those crazy hot sauces.. Rather the super hot, hot sauces all taste like ass.. I'll stick with Franks and Tabasco, might not be a billion schovilles, but it doesnt taste like it was brewed in a cesspool either...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I always have several brands on hand at all times.
Tapatio
Cholula
And my favorite, a local made brand.......Poblano, salsa ranchera.
MMMMMMMMMMMBOY !!!!!
As for salsa, I make my own from scratch.

*edited to add* www.acaciart.com/galleries/cheri/pob100.html
They make several different sauces, but my favorite is salsa ranchera.  We drive down to the factory and buy it by the case !!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
at Christmas we had an employee barbecue, one of the lineman pulled a bottle of Habenaro green looking crap out.  That was some stout stuff everyone of us who tried it had sweat rolling off our brow.  It was awful hot but the flavor really wasn't that good to me.  I like flavor along with my hot.  I think Cholula is much superior to Tabasco. But then again I like Lousianna hot sauce, price and taste, over Tabasco.

NoName I'm gone give that recipe a try, have all ingredients but the malt vinegar,  Might substitute a shot of Corralejo tequila,WTF?

That sounds good! I put the malt vinegar in just because I like the smell but it's no biggie.  The next batch I was going to try some wine vinegar.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#48]
That sounds good NoName... I think I'll give your recipe a try, too.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Origionally posted by Texasrooter

That sounds good! I put the malt vinegar in just because I like the smell but it's no biggie.  The next batch I was going to try some wine vinegar.

Well Noname I got it made the other night but for some reason was not able to post.  Used red jalapenos instead of serranoes and used worcestershire sause instead of the malt vinegar.  When I was mixing it all up and sampling it my mouth got pretty hot and I thought maybe too hot.  However I made some wild hog pan sausage the same day and I used it as a condiment and it really spiced up that hog. Then last night I added some malt vinegar and it tasted even better.  I didn't add any water to the mixture and it still pours but I was interested in how much you thin it out.  The recipe came out to 1/2 gallon with the 28 oz can of jalapenos and the smaller can of red jalapenos. used approx 1/3 cup of vinegar origionally and the rest of ingredients that you called out.

I think your on to something pretty good here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top