Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 1:43:57 PM EDT
Is there a utility or method to use to see every page that has been displayed on my computer that day? I know about temp. files but cant find what I want to see there. Is there a utility I can install to save every page displayed on the screen in a file I can access later. This is my own home computer.
Thanks for any help.
BP
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a utility or method to use to see every page that has been displayed on my computer that day?
View Quote

Do you know about the "History" button in your browser?

(That's for Internet Explorer, dunno about the others.)
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I know about the history button. I want a method to record the pages viewed even if history is cleared.
Thanks
BP
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If the history is deleted, there is no way to recover it as such.  Also, if you're worried about capturing 100% web content (text and pictures) locally, thats a big job.

What I suggest is a simple IP logging program that runs in the background unbeknownst to whoever is using the web browser.  This simply captures the IP (internet protocol) address of every internet transaction that occurs on your computer.  Since it is a separate program it will keep a separate log file from the browser history.

To see what web page is which, just enter http:// followed by the IP address into your browser address field.

For a bunch of IP logging utilities, go to a web site like [url]www.tucows.com[/url] and do a search for ip logging.  I bet you will find a ton of free utilities.

Of course, even that is not foolproof.  A saavy computer user who knew the program was running could set up a proxy or something to disguise the IP.

The most foolproof option is to get a router for an in-home network and enable the IP logging feature directly on the router.

Good luck.

Dilbert
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, today in temp. files I found
" login+password= (here was some gibberish of numbers and letters)
Can the password be decifered from this gibberish?
BP
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
That login+password is a common crypto, used industry wide, and is easily deciphered.  
Some nerds run the equivalent of a vacuum cleaner on the internet, sniffing out packets with these codes, and if they catch you while logging on, or checking your mail, the packet that contains your name and password can be picked up and run through a simple deciphering program to get your name and password.

A good idea is to have one password for things like chatrooms, and another for things like Paypal, etc...

I've spent some time doing secure web pages, and the basic rule to go by is, if the lock symbol on the bottom left of your browser screen is on, you are very secure, as  you are running a very sophisticated cypher program.  That's complicated crypto makes internet shopping, Paypal, etc... safe.

The one catch to this is, some viruses install themselves on your system and record keystrokes, emailing them out covertly later, in which case even the lock symbol does not help. To get around this, always run with virus protection.

If you are just logging into your dial up service, or checking your email from a web mail service, and the lock on the bottom is unlocked, you are broadcasting the simple cypher code.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there a utility or method to use to see every page that has been displayed on my computer that day? I know about temp. files but cant find what I want to see there. Is there a utility I can install to save every page displayed on the screen in a file I can access later. This is my own home computer.
Thanks for any help.
BP
View Quote

It would help if you told us why you want to do this.  Is this to keep your kids from going to places they shouldn't, or are you trying to intercept information someone else in your household doesn't want you to see?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A bond of trust has been broken in my home.
I need to see if it can be restored.
I only intend to see if my suspicions are correct. If not, the program will be deleted.
BP
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a utility once that would take screen shots and store them in a file, you could also set the timing of shots, ran in the background. Dont remember the name of app, found it on one of the shareware sites.

Worked good, and got need to know info !!

Happy Hunting......

This might work
www.tucows.com/preview/195468.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A bond of trust has been broken in my home.
I need to see if it can be restored.
I only intend to see if my suspicions are correct. If not, the program will be deleted.
BP
View Quote

You probably want keystroke logging then, instead of just URL logging.  Try [url]http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10105-100-8352539.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.8352539[/url] or [url]http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10105-100-1420257.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-2.1420257[/url]

The second one also logs all URLs visited.

This ([url]http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-100-5816716.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.5816716[/url]) should allow you to take timed screen captures, as another user described.

For what it's worth, I hope you don't find anything. [:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top