Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 6:55:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a very common problem.
You might consider changing the Charter ports from serial to parallel or alternately one serial and two parallel.  Change your check digit to zero under any conditions.

Finally see if any lights blink on your modem.

Of course if the program is written in Visual Basic, C or C++ none of the above applies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Shooter,
I don't have a clue.  I just wrote every B/S word I could think of.
Rotten I know but I just couldn't resist.  I'm useless when it comes to those "It works with this but doesn't work with this" problems.

[:I]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like they are blocking your ports.  A lot of high speed providers do this to keep people from running web servers and anything else remotely fun.  They may offer a workaround. It helps the ISP make more cash basically.  You won't be able to get them to stop.  But it would be nice to call and tell them they are low lives for spoon feeding you internet access
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Go into the Command prompt (dos) and type

netstat -a

This will show you all your open ports and who is listening to them.  The port # is right after the Computer name then :

See if 5100 is being used.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Check with yahoo.
If you found what port yours is using try another, stay off ports 80,88 and and any lower than 23. This may get you past what ever is blocking you.

If you see the word 'passive mode' or 'passive transfers' as a connection option try changing it.

Not to many ISP block stuff, it is to much work for them, becouse of the call you may have to make to them. [}:)]

SSD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top