Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT
My black lab may have eaten a chocolate covered chex mix piece.

Made me wonder.  Is this really as bad as I've been told for dogs?

It was just one piece, and not intentionally.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
One piece shouldn't be fatal (I guess it depends on how big the piece is though, if it's a pound piece then you'll have problems).

A small chunk eaten on a one-time occasion shouldn't cause problems. But yes, chocolate is very bad for dogs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:24:50 PM EDT
chocolate is no good for dogs
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:24:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
MILK Chocolate or Sweet chocolate isnt that deadly. It can make them sick, but they can eat alot of it and not die. I bet a lab could eat a candy bar.

Now - UNSWEETENED chocolate, like bakers chocolate, is MUCH more deadly and a bites worth can be deadly for small dogs.

From Google.
theobromine is what is toxic to dogs.

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:45 PM EDT
chex mix size.  I think people also call it "puppy chow" no pun intended.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:01 PM EDT
Needs to be dark chocalate for it to cause any problems, in your case the worse that will happen is the dog will get the runs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT
Here's a handy spreadsheet. The MIN/MAX is fatal dosage.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:28:25 PM EDT
my dog ate 3 pounds of fudge when he was a couple years old...  he was estremely sick, but he survived.

i also fed him little bits of chocolate on occasion.  sometimes he'd get a bowl of ice cream too.

anyways, he lived to be almost 11 years old.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:28:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:48:11 PM EDT
So a 50lb dog would have to eat between 94 and 258 ounces of normal candy bars to be fatal?
Fuck, I'd probably die from that!  So its like alcohol to humans, it takes an extreme amount for it to be a problem then.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:57:43 PM EDT
One of my ex-girlfriends weiner dogs got into and ate half of a Droste chocolate orange.  Other than having the doggy equivalent of a tummy ache for 18 hours, it suffered no ill affects.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:33:50 PM EDT
My parents used to have a restaraunt/soda shop, dad fed ice cream and candy to the dogs all the time and all they got was fat. I don't think it's as deadly as they make it out to be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:38:26 PM EDT
My bulldog ate two candy bars one time, wrapper's and all, and got the shits. Other than that he was o.k.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:55:10 AM EDT

Here's a handy spreadsheet. The MIN/MAX is fatal dosage.

If my dog ate two pounds of chocolate, *I'D* kill him.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:39:18 AM EDT
My roomates puppy ate 1 pound of chocolate covered raisins and then it died that night.  No joke, we had them on the coffee table and she ate the whole pound.  DOA the next morning.  It can happen but I think smaller dogs have a bigger problem.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.