Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 12:49:28 PM EDT
hello ladies.

Has anyone dealt with centuryarms?  Myself and a bunch of co-workers went and bought a bunch of m44 mosin nagants, and we are looking to get good ammo for cheap.  we found 340 pc tins for 33$ at centuryarms. Is there any place cheaper or better?  This is the 149 grain ammo, not to big, as we will be doing some laid back plinking.  

Any ideas? links? advice? anything? Is centryarms worth doing business with? The cheapest you guys know of?

thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You're terminally cheap if you think that $33 for 340 rounds may not be a good deal.

Century has a spotty rep for guns they manufacture/assemble, but a good one for guns they import.  I wouldn't be scared of buying ammo from them.  They've sold defective ammo before, but they advertise it as being bad.  People buy defective ammo for the components.  Once upon a time, .311 bullets in certain styles and weights were difficult to come by.  If it's not advertised as defective, it's probably fine for plinking, but don't expect Federal Match quality (not even close).

Take the corrosive ammo warning seriously!  Clean via corrosive ammo procedures.  You will be sorry if you let it sit without a cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i was just making sure it was the best deal possible.  Im not the one who is cheap, its my co workers im worried about.  Thanks for the heads up on corrosive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i usually pay around 40-50 for those cans locally. consider shipping will be high for ammo.

mike
View Quote

That's the best part, Century has flat $12.50 shipping with a $75 minimum order.
This is Albanian ammo; works great in anything except Finnish guns.  I have shot bunches of it (I have 20+ Mosins).

be sure to grab some of the PMP or HotShot ammo while you're there; flat-rate shipping is hard to resist.
I hve done a lot of business with Century over the years; the canned ammo is in great shape.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Re the Albanian 7.62x54R ammo, I've used it in my Mosin (Izhevsk, 1928), no problems w/extraction, but it is kinda smoky- bring along some very hot water in a thermos, or some ammonia, to clean it at the range ASAP when done shooting.

No, match grade ammo it's not, but it's worth the $$.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Re the Albanian 7.62x54R ammo, I've used it in my Mosin (Izhevsk, 1928), no problems w/extraction, but it is kinda smoky- bring along some very hot water in a thermos, or some ammonia, to clean it at the range ASAP when done shooting.
View Quote

Two Windex patches, dry patch, oil.
Clean as normal ammo when you get home.  I have been doing this for years, no problems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahaha, good luck doing "laid back plinking" with an M44! Those damn things kick like a mule. Fun to shoot though, I really like mine. As has been mentioned, be sure to clean it after shooting every time no matter what the ammo says or you can really screw up a good barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Moisin's are not like AR's...you're NOT going to be putting 500-1000 rounds through it in a day.  M44's are said to be more accurate with the bayonet extended...better barrel harmonics. I haven't seen a difference with mine bayonet in or bayonet out.  Get some Ben-Gay before you go to the range.

[url]www.surplusrifle.com[/url] has a bunch of Moisin stuff.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
This tinned ammo is supposed to be pretty decent.  I have a couple of these tins unopened.  Century is great if you buy at least $500 of stuff shipping is free.  For a while they had 7.62x39 for around $70 a case.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top