Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:36:20 PM EST
I need help. My virus detection program found a virus. I told the program to remove the virus . It came back and said the virus can not be removed. So I did a search and found the file and right clicked it telling it to deleted it. Came back and said it can not delete it. Tried a trojan horse program and it could not remove it. Tried spybolt and adware and no luck. The file is C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\KHBO.DAT What to do to get rid of this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:40:02 PM EST
Try going to your Java Script and clearing the cache. I had a virus similar to it and that took care of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:42:04 PM EST
Try booting to safe mode and then try deleting it. Alternately, make a boot disk, boot to it, then try deleting the file. Also, search the registry (regedit.exe) and delete any reference to the file byu hitting the delete key if you get a hit.

This all assumes that you have done your homework and it really is a virus. I haven't checked to see if it's a known issue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:46:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 4:46:38 PM EST by NAKED-GUNMAN]
I had a virus that melted my computer, I just bought a new Dell this week to replace the older one. The virus screwed everything and the McAffee even tried to stop it. Not sure what happened. But, it erased everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:46:36 PM EST
I had a similiar problem awhile back with the Netsky virus. Went to the McAfee sight and downloaded a virus program that specifically eradicated the one virus I had. Check it out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:58:25 PM EST
Google up a program called Copy Lock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:02:38 PM EST
Got to Start.
Go to my computer.
Go to c: drive.
Go to corrupted file.
Make window smaller than screen.
Drag to desktop.
Shitcan.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:04:16 PM EST
Reboot in SAFE MODE and then run Symantec. If that doesn't work, remember where it is and boot into SAFE MODE DOS PROMPT and then remove it that way. Make sure you turn off System Restore before you do this or it will replace the file.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:03:08 PM EST
good news is that it's in the temp folder
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:20:40 PM EST
I finally got that bugger deleted.What happen was that the program was running in the background so when I told to delete it my computer will not delete a file that is running .So I did a alt cltr delete then close the progam then went to temp file, right click then delete. Removed it that time. I will run another virus scan again. Thanks all for the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:28:39 PM EST
Norton Internet Security/Anti-virus IMHO is by far the best out there! Ive ran McAfee and ran Norton behind it, and norton picked up viruses that McAfee didnt! Came on my new Dell for 90 days, when it expired I bought the full version with no regrets. Well worth $60. Staples had a sale when i got it and after the Staples and Norton rebate, it was free!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:30:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 6:31:45 PM EST by Rob877]
Do a double check after you reboot you computer They Like to come back all by them selves. What virus was your KHBO.DAT file infected With?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:33:45 PM EST
I have good news, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance using (I forgot)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:10:26 PM EST
Knoppix or Morphix also work great for that sort of problem. Just boot from the CD, use the monut command to attach the hard drive, and delete the file.

While you're at it you can also remove Windows and install Linux.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:13:15 PM EST
Temp file? Clear your internet cache.
Top Top