Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:23 AM EDT
have a family member wishing to send me a couple of long guns from ID to CA. Anyone recommend shippers, regs, etc...this would be from father to son if that matters.
TIA, danny

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
have checked cadoj and batf websites and don't see anything that applies to this scenario.
Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]

best way to ship long guns to Ca???

In a box.

Hrm.. it's an interstate transfer, but CA law allows paperless transactions of longguns between direct family members (as long as the firearm isn't an assault weapon).

I would think that you can ship it directly to him, and if they're long guns you don't need to overnight it and USPS is a viable options. Get insurance and wrap them well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks, thats what i thought, usps w/o going through a dealer being family transfer. Just looking for any regs to back it up being cali and all....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
On a related note, where the devil would one buy a nice long thin box about upper-receiver sized for shipping? Office Depot et al don't seem to have anything applicable.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
On a related note, where the devil would one buy a nice long thin box about upper-receiver sized for shipping? Office Depot et al don't seem to have anything applicable.

NTM

Looks as if you will have to make your own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm no expert on interstate transfers including CA, but from what I'm gleaning from the NRAILA info it seem that ALL firearms must be transfered through an FFL regardless of it being a family member or not.

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=CA

The following may be the way around it...but like I said, I'm no expert.

The waiting period and dealer application do not apply to transfers to police officers, other gun dealers, manufacturers, or importers, antique firearms, and rifles and shotguns which are classified as curios or relics by the federal government, infrequent gifts or transfers to one`s "immediate family," an infrequent temporary loan not to exceed 30 days to a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and a transfer of a rifle or shotgun at auctions by nonprofit or public benefit corporations
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the link. guess i may have to give em a call to verify the legalities.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It's an interstate transfer and Federal law does not exempt transfers between family members.  To be legal, they have to be sent to a California dealer for transfer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks as if you will have to make your own.

You know, that's so bloody obvious, I never thought of it. Plain as the nose on my face.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
US Priority Mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

NTM

Brownells sells rifle shipping boxes.  Fulton Armory will sell you one, too. They are not all that cheap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#15]
In your ass......You know Kalifornia is a police state!

Now get to lubing that thing up...its going to be a long trip.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top