Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2001 9:32:17 PM EDT
I was looking for a good scope for semi precision shooting and maybe some hunting. I have around $250 that I can spend. I was looking at tasco super sniper scopes, earlier, but now I am thinking of maybe a bausch and lomb scope. they are multi coated, they seem to have a decent rep, and they are in a decent price range. but I have a few questions.
first I heard they have a different reticle, multi x or somthing like that.
another question what is the differnce between their 3000 and 4200 series

how accurate are the moa adjustments
how good is the general quality of these scopes on a whole.
finally which would you buy the 4200 or the 3000
thanks for your replies in advance

long live bushy
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a B&L Balvar 2-10x40 mounted on my ar15 w/an MK arms mount and have never had a problem with it. the MOA is excellent. Mine was kinda expensive though, around 500$. but I swear by this on my Ar15.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I can suggest the bushnell 3200 Elite they're great and are in your price range(about 255 at Rangecaddy)

They are great scopes. MOA adjustments are pretty precise. Lighting is the best of many of the scopes I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to www.bushnell.com. I read a scope coparrison test somewhere that put Bushnell right at the top of the list. I have their 3000&3200 scopes and have never regretted buying them. I like their reticles and have never found them to be a issue. The test I read said they returned to point of aim as good or better than scopes costing a lot more. The brightness part of the test I believe was taken 1 hour after sunset, and was tops. The 4200 has two extra lens in it,the 3200 has one as I remember. I also like Burris Special Purpose& Compact Scopes on my AR's. I just bought their 4X12X32 with target reticle and target knobs,they fit a AR perfectly. The scope is short,light and has a ajustable parallax that can be set from 7 yards to infinity, The small size of the scope keeps the rifle balanced. I think my Browning 308 lever is getting a Burris 1.5X6X electro dot this fall.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
For your price range, I'd try BSA.  I have a 6-24 x 50 AO on my Ruger 10-22 Target.  It's not the best scope I've ever owned, but its got fine crosshairs with a dot in the center and has the target knobs on it.  I paid about $175 for mine roughly 3 yrs ago.

Can't help you much with the B&L but the above is just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a B&L Elite 4000 4-16x50 with adjustable objective and turret knobs.  It is very clear, very solid and the adjustments are very accurate.  It was the best $325 I ever spent.

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The B&L 4200 series have additional internal coatings. I have a 6-24x 40mm in a .223 Remington PSS.  
The optics are very sharp and clear. At 24x as the day warms up the mirage becomes a nuissance. Backed down to about 14x and let the party continue!

The adjustments are precise and with positive clicks. Once the cover are removed you do not need a coin for adjustments. When the rifle is properly zeroed the adjustment dial may be set at zero position, your "come ups" are easily reset.

The only objection that I have is that it is one long scope! With the hood installed it looks a tad bizarre.

I have a Leopold 4.5-14 on my .308 and I am unable to discern any differences in the image quality.

Leopold,Burris, B&L,IOR they all make good affordable scopes.

Regards

ACK
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
ah1z,

I have a 4-16x50 mounted on my 250 and .308 and they work well. Always wondered about a 6.5-20LR Leupold. [:P] If you can spend a bit more you will be happy with the B&L. The only drawback is the Duplex crosshair is thicker than the Leupold. Not by much but when a Skinny is way out there, those crosshairs start to get big.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/MI/hz/pN/4P65628.jpg[/img]

The black bolt rifle is my "Critter Control Rifle" for groundhogs or Skinnys.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1495478&a=11279926&p=39573072[/img]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are on a budget, but want a Great scope, go with Bushnell.  Very clear and bright optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top