Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:42 AM EDT
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a20474/botched-airdrop-destroys-humvees/

Botched Airdrop Sends Humvees Plummeting To Their Doom

Somebody screwed up at the United States Army Garrison (USAG) in Hohenfels, Germany the other day because I am relatively sure that an airdropped Humvee is not supposed to move towards the ground quite that quickly. Someone in the 173rd Airborne Brigade probably has some explaining to do.
View Quote

Hohenfels, Germany   probably drunk..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread has new and exciting information.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Some radio station in Cincinnati did something like this with turkeys

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to go with improper rigging for $500, Alex
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/24500/Dropping-Turkeys-from-a-Helicopter--24654.jpg
View Quote

Best bit in all of television history.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean one owner up for bid on govliquidations... No demil required!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Riggers got some splainin to do

At the end there's a fire .... "Do we gotta call that up"??
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

laughing his ass off
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with improper rigging for $500, Alex
View Quote

I could maybe see losing one hummer in a drop... but three ?!?!  DAMN .
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Some officer is gonna make those guys try to drive them, too.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Lost it when the third one lawn darted.  You can tell who is responsible, they'll be the ones walking around without an ass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This thread has new and exciting information.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup. Its a dupe.
View Quote

Meh, not all of us are online all the time, y'know.
Some of us missed the other 6 or 7 threads about it.

Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/24500/Dropping-Turkeys-from-a-Helicopter--24654.jpg
View Quote

We still do that in Arkansas, every year, at Turkey Trot.

We use a Cessna, though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gordon Jump told me that, at the time, they knew it was going to be funny. They didn't realize just how iconic it was going to be. He was a friend of my father's, and a very nice man off the set. He and my brother must have played several hours of backgammon when he came to a holiday dinner with our family.

A buddy emailed me the failed airdrop video. My response: "It's like watching an allegory of my pre-marriage dating life."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Occasionally happens.  Devices like these are used to prevent the load from being blown over by the wind after landing.  Personally witnesses 101A2 stuck 6 feet in desert by barrel (gun was base piece).  Didn't hurt accuracy.  Saw Gamma Goat 2 feet tall.  In my battery we tried to drop old M151A2's to get new jeep.  Never happened to old ones, almost always happened to brand new ones.  Not a darn thing good after it happened.  They use a hydraulic release system now. In the mid 70's charges we used to blow off the chute when the load hit the ground.  Under certain atmospheric conditions the chute after it opens caused the load to go off the rigging.  Just like when the load lands, bingo no more chute.  Watch out below........
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
My money is on those three HMMWVs having been the maintenance nightmares for that unit, and someone slipped the riggers a case of beer to make sure they didn't have to dick around with them, anymore.

One of the funnier moments I had as a platoon sergeant was having to tell the "new guy" squad leader I had working for me that, no, this isn't 18th Airborne Corps, and no, we can't just "burn these POS trucks in on the next jump...". The forlorn look on his face, as he realized that a.) he wasn't Airborne anymore, b.) he was in a unit with no budget, c.) the rest of the Army didn't have the ability to write off equipment instead of fixing it, and that d.) he was likely to spend more time on police call than actually training, due to the aforementioned facts.

It was always kinda sad, when getting in guys from units that actually had budgets for training. Once they realized we were essentially paupers, and that the post headquarters thought we were there mostly to fill their manning rosters for post support missions... Yeah. Half our drinking problems in the mid-grade NCO world started there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was driving down a dirt county road with my daughter last month and a turkey was running away from us down the side of the road. She asked why he didn't just go the other way and I explained that the fence was in his way and he couldn't fly...so the mother clucker flew over the fence and ran the other way.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a20474/botched-airdrop-destroys-humvees/

Botched Airdrop Sends Humvees Plummeting To Their Doom

Somebody screwed up at the United States Army Garrison (USAG) in Hohenfels, Germany the other day because I am relatively sure that an airdropped Humvee is not supposed to move towards the ground quite that quickly. Someone in the 173rd Airborne Brigade probably has some explaining to do.
View Quote

Hohenfels, Germany   probably drunk..
View Quote
I'm gonna guess the AF loadmaster is in deep shit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#22]
According to my research, which is entirely based on the GI Joe intro, that is not how that is supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the funniest things I have seen in a while.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#24]
"Oh fuck, our rides!"

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well let me tell you something.  Wild turkeys can fly because I took one in the windshield of a truck and also dented the roof.  $3500 in damage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Oh fuck, our rides!"

View Quote

Those guys were laughing until they realized now they gotta ride with Stinky Dan and Talkative Pete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top