Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2003 9:26:01 PM EDT
any tricks other than downing a 12 pack or screwing the woman that helps you fall asleep quicker

i suck up 1.5 to 2 hours a night trying to fall asleep, it sucks
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  Fall asleep fine.  It's about 2-3 hours into the night that I have problems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Insomnia is natures way of giving me the finger. :)
_
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't sleep/fall asleep for shit either.  I work 3rds, so I'm usually needing to crash at about 2/3PM and can never do it.  Tonight I got about 1.5hours sleep before my shift!  Sometimes I have a couple shots of the Captain to help me get a little tired, but that's only in emergencies.  I don't know if I'm an insomniac, or if I just really am bad at a 3rd shift schedule.  

Tylenol PM is said to work good for helping people sleep, but beware that taking anything will help you risk addiction, and after a while, you'll probably become amune to it's original effects.

Good luck, sorry I can't help much, but I have much empathy for you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same problem. My solution, drink a lot of beer THEN screw the woman.

Nothin says relaxation like wild, drunken, monkey love!

[booze]   [sex]   [banana]   [sleep]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Start reviewing your failures, shortcomings and personal problems earlier in the day.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the time, like now.  Even scrips dont help much, a combination of a low activity level and increased pain due to the weather.  Tylenol PM is just tylenol and Benadryl, so maybe bennie alone will do it.  Good luck, insomnia sux.. Ops
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Insomnia is natures way of giving me the finger. :)
_
View Quote

So true...

And the Tylenol PM's are very addictive.  I would advise anyone who uses or wants to use these to sleep to just buy generic Benadryl. It's the same ingredient that puts you to sleep and you don't have to worry as much about liver damage from acetominaphin.

TS

Elephant tranqilizer won't put me to sleep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Don't exercise before you go to bed, don't go to bed until you are falling asleep. If you can't sleep, get up and do something until you are tired. Get up at your regular time. You just need to get your body clock back on track.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my trick when I can't sleep.

5-10mg Melatonin
1500mg Calcium
500mg Magnesium
2g Tryptophan
500mg Niacin

Take the above about 30-45 min before you want to fall asleep.  Works every time for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2g Tryptophan
View Quote

Where can I find some of this ??
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No matter what I do, it's damn near impossible to get to sleep.
Takes me 5 to 6 hours of laying there before I get remotely sleepy.
I can chug a 12 pack, but then I just lay there f*cked up for the same amount of time.
And anything involving a woman just wakes me up like I'm on methamphetamines or something...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
... I don't have problems with such unless it's a work related issue I'm wrestling with.

... However Diphenhydramine, commonly known as Benadryl works wonders. Over the counter too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately , I do a lot of thinking when I am laying in bed , going over the day , planning the next one , or just day dreaming....so often it is really hard to just get the ole' brain to shut up...

a lot depends on your environment , like your bed ... I found that I actually sleep better on a futon than a regular bed....

also it my depend on who you are sleeping next to....with my last girl of 5 years , I colud just not fall asleep next to her , in a normal night where she'd sleep for 8 hours I'd get like 3... nothin; to do about that though

then there is the clown (see sig)

t
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2g Tryptophan
View Quote

Where can I find some of this ??
View Quote

The closest thing I've found to it is 5-hydroxytryptophan, or 5-HTP.  Any health store should have that.  I usually order from [url=http://www.iherb.com]iHerb[/url].  5-HTP is most commonly available 100mg capsules.  I only take 2-4 capsules and that works fine for me.  The book that I got this info from recommends 1-4 grams of tryptophan, but I've had good success with 100-400mg of 5-HTP.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, if you try what I recommended above and you haven't been taking Niacin regularly, beware of it's skin flushing effect.  From what I've read, it's totally harmless, but it may be uncomfortable for some people.  I think it's a pretty neat feeling, but if you are worried about it, start off with 50mg or 100mg and gradually build up to 500mg.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't sleep for shit either. I usually take a Tylenol PM Extra Strength about 30 minutes before bed. Works pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Never had a problem falling asleep.  As soon as I hit the pillow I'm gone; or not long after.  Once I'm asleep, NOTHING wakes me up.  The wife always tells me of loud storms comming thru at night but never hear them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#19]
TigerStripe and Winston_Wolf are 100% correct. This time.[:D] I have used the generic benadryl fro WalMart for years. About 2 hours before I want to crash, I'll eat one of these capsules. It dries out my sinuses but mine are usually snotty anyway. I have pollen allergies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Tylenol PM works for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Take a look at your caffiene intake 4-5 hours before bed.  It's a major effect on me,  just from sodas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
TigerStripe and Winston_Wolf are 100% correct. This time.[:D]
View Quote

Shocking, huh??

TS
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Masturbation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Masturbation.
View Quote

Masturbation won't put me to sleep.  After sex with a woman I'll go to sleep.  Except for Joy and maybe the Q3131A chick(I wish).

TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
As I type this it's 2:07am.. I can never sleep either.  I'm always thinking about something and when I lay down I can't shut it off..
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Ive been getting by with about 3 hours a night .. dont know why.

thing is when I wake up .. Im not tired..

been this way for over a year .. about once a week I catch up on my sleep by craching out as soon as I get home,

So basicly 1 12 hour "power nap" a week followed by 3 hour nihts.. dont like it but cant seem to change it..
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I have take 3 50mg tablets of Elavil every night, otherwise I will not sleep at all.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have take 3 50mg tablets of Elavil every night, otherwise I will not sleep at all.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
View Quote

what is elavil?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I work nite shift and sometimes have trouble sleeping during the day light hours, ask you doctor for a prescription for[b] Ambien[/b], I promise you, you will sleep, and yes masturbation does help...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

what is elavil?
View Quote
Prescription drug.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
what is elavil?
View Quote

Talk to your doctor about Elavil.  [}:D]

Anti-depressant.  I take Limbitrol, which is Elavil and Librium.  Plus Benadryl.  And as you see, I'm up typing.

TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Elavil (Amitriptyline) is an antidepressant with sedative effects. I'm in a great deal of pain all of the time & Elavil is the only drug that I've tried that will help me sleep.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Elavil (Amitriptyline) is an antidepressant with sedative effects. I'm in a great deal of pain all of the time & Elavil is the only drug that I've tried that will help me sleep.
View Quote

Does it work sufficiently?  Limbitrol has the Elavil plus Librium, which is Valium's cousin.  That might ease you more.  (Damn, I sound like a pusher)

TS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I have Valium (tranquilizer) or Soma(Muscle relaxer)...Both prescriptions

I take Valium usually when I "want" to go to sleep or need to get up early in the morning. Not too often as I wouldn't be able to carry concealed in the Betty Ford Clinic.

Soma makes me feel like I have a hangover in the A.M., but it makes my back feel GREAT and puts me out!

I don't work (disabled), so I am a night owl anyway...

I heard the prescription drug Ambien works great too, but it's a "occasional" drug..(Is that like an occasional pot smoker?)

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Try two aspirin, about 1/2 hour before bedtime. I used to have problems too, and I tried this, being VERY skeptical about the idea. It worked! Apparantly, muscle tension plays a big part in insomnia, and aspirin helps me relax. It doesn't MAKE me relax, it just helps. And it's good for the heart too. You could also try warm milk. Warm milk contains L-tryptophan, which is a sleep aid. Warm milk can be good for you too, as long as you don't mix Scotch with it. ==Bob
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to have a hard time falling asleep until I found a bench in a quieter part of the park.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Take two Tylenol PM and call me in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it work sufficiently?  Limbitrol has the Elavil plus Librium, which is Valium's cousin.  That might ease you more.  (Damn, I sound like a pusher)

TS
View Quote

Yes it works pretty good, it takes about 2.5 hours to kick in & I sleep for about 6 hours a night.

A [red]drug[/red] pusher??
[peep]

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Man, I am always up till 5-6am
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Eat some turkey, it always makes you sleepy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullcrap!
Eating turkey just makes me want to eat more turkey, so after consuming a pack I have to go to the supermarket to buy more turkey, therefore more time eating less sleepy!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I have trouble sleeping at night, during the day...generally anytime that I need to be sleeping.

My sleeping schedule changes weekly.  When I'm working my eight straight nights, I try to be asleep by 6AM.  Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.  When I'm off work, I try to turn my schedule around and sleep like a normal person.  Doesn't usually work.  Most of the time I'm up until 2-3AM and then get up around 9-10AM.

I used to take Tylenol PM when I needed sleep, switched over to Tylenol Simply Sleep when it hit the shelves.  Same sleep-inducing ingredient as Tylenol PM, sans the pain reducer.  It puts me to sleep, but it isn't a restful sleep.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I haven't actually been diagnosed yet, but I strongly suspect I have apnea. A neurologist will tell me the 11th of June.Aside from that, Clonopine (sp?) is part of the 'diazepam' anti-anxiety family.It works good.If you dont feel like seeing the doc or dont have anxiety problems,then Nyquil is the bomb! 10% alcohol, all it takes is one dose,and no hangover.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, I have held back this long...

Ambien/Librium/Valium/Xanax/Klonopin... (Benzodiazapenes) are very effective at minor  sedation, however after a few weeks, they do not work as well, and [blue]require a higher dosage.[/blue]  Some of them (Librium, Valium, Ambien) the tolerance is built up quickly, putting you to the[green] maximum 'recommended' dose within a month or two, if taken every night.[/green] [red] These are also very addictive, so if you get 'used' to them, you aren't gonna feel very good when you stop (for about 4 days, plan on reading the forums.. :))  [/red]
View Quote
This is very true.

I wouldn't directly know about anything mentioned above, just heard it from different people, and I have the PDR memorized in the event somebody asks me an off-the-wall question...
View Quote
 I have it memorized as well.

TS
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I was always borderline insomniac...as Im sure my posting hours here show...Maybe 3 or 4 hours a night...

Then it got so bad I was going two and three days without sleep. Went to the Docs, thats when they found my high blood sugar. Now that thats treated, I am back to my 3 or 4 hours...

And [b]nothing[/b] changes that...Sex, alcohol or drugs, all just get me happy, happier, happiest...

But one day we all die, then we can sleep forever, so I dont much worry about it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullcrap!
Eating turkey just makes me want to eat more turkey, so after consuming a pack I have to go to the supermarket to buy more turkey, therefore more time eating less sleepy!!!
View Quote

Maybe your turkey has no hormones?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top