Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:05:51 PM EDT
I got a cool little 20 year old bonsai tree for christmas

just going out on a limb...anybody do bonsai here?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Japenese Maple tree I grew from a seed back in 1990.   A couple years ago I decided to let it grow a bit so I put it in a little bigger container.  It's about a foot and a half tall now and needs to be trimmed back to about a foot.  I've got it set up to look like a little hill in a forest.

I keep mine outside for the most part and on the well lit back porch during the winter.

It's groovy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A 20 year old Bonzai took a lot of work.  Quite the gift.  What kind of tree is it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
sweet!   mine is about 12" tall with a trunk about the width of a 12 ga shell. The trunk is twisted like a crazy straw. Mine is an indoor tree, Ive got it set up on the north side of the house, but im gonna move it to the south side so it gets more light.

How often do you water?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A 20 year old Bonzai took a lot of work.  Quite the gift.  What kind of tree is it?

its a Tropical/Subtropical Serissa or Fujian Tea... . I think ....not 100% sure
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I love bonsai trees so much that I've successfully killed 5 in the past 4 years.  

I just don't know what I ever did wrong.  I deep watered about one a week, made sure they got plenty of sun (even used a grow lamp when my apartment faced away from the sun).  I don't get it.

3 Junipers, 1 I don't recall and a beautiful Chinese Elm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched a Bonsai charge on the History channel. The dudes got their asses kicked!  

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
During the summer I'll rain a bit of water on it once a week.  Any other time of the year while it's outside it gets the natural rain cycle.  (It rains a lot in Portland Oregon).   During the winter while it's on the back porch it gets water whenever the soil feels really dry.  Not very often.

I never did the twisting of the stalk or anything like that.  I just keep it trimmed back  and let the limbs grow where I think they look cool and keep the soil limited so it doesn't take off and grow too much when I'm not paying attention.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just mow over all that little stuff.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top