User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 7:15:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk to Anti.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you're in North Carolina, check out Nantahala Outdoor Center ( [url]http://www.noc.com[/url] )You will greatly enjoy the sport, if you get proper professional instruction.

For new & used gear, check out Appomattox River Company, based out of Virginia( [url]http://www.paddleva.com[/url] ). Ask for Bob Taylor, he'll get ya taken care of.

Buying a boat that may or may not fit, because of a good sale price, could be a tragic or even fatal error on your part. Kayaking is an inherently dangerous sport, and needs to be treated with a high level of respect, that most beginners tend to overlook.  Safety is paramount!

Oldtown makes some great canoes, but they know [u]nothing[/u] about the world of kayaking.

Here are a few companies that make some great boats, for relatively low prices:

Dagger [url]www.dagger.com[/url]
Perception [url]www.perceptionkayaks.com[/url]
Prijon [url]www.prijon.com[/url]
Wave Sport [url]www.wavesport.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Go find a place that rents first, and try them out.

I was thinking about a short light kayak,  turned out the best for my needs is 4 feet longer than what I started with, and 400$ more.

If I'd rented the Pelican (8'9")  before buying it I wouldn't have bothered.  It turned into a great "Play toy", but It's a real effort to paddle, you can forget about traveling in a straight line in any sort of breeze or current.

Determine whether you want a recreational or expedition/touring type.

I use a 14' Dagger with a rudder now.      Bought it used. My emphasis is on fishing, and that involves covering a lot of territory in windy, rough conditions. (Try launching a kayak in heavy surf sometime. It's a real kick) It's a great rig, weighs somewhere around 50 pounds unloaded, probably close to 85 with all the necessities.
 I've paddled 40 miles in the thing and didn't fatigue at all. (Okay,  with wind and current,  but it was sitill 40 miles!)  I wouldn't have gotten 10 miles in the Pelican.

Anti is right.  Kayaking is risky. It's a lot more physically demanding than most folks realize. You need a good boat that matches the  water you're in, good safety gear, and a good plan.

One last thing. Kayaks are like guns.  They cost about the same, and you'll never be satisfied with owning just one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife, kids and I just finished a kayak trip on the Buffalo River this past weekend and it was fun. We have did Kayak and canoe trips before and we all would highly recommend it! Most of the ones we use have been like the Dagger brand ones and also we have used the flat top style yahoos.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Avid canoeist here, but I have friends who are into both whitewater and sea kayaking.  Listen to anti and the others.

You have described two different scenarios, lakes and rivers w/ rapids.  A lake kayak will be long and thin to make crossing the lake fast and efficient.  A whitewater kayak will be fairly short and, in relation to its length, wide to make manuvering much easier at the expense of efficiency in paddling.  

Try before you by and decide on what you will be primarilly doing.  This will greatly enhance the fun potential.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Hobie Pursuit sit on top.

[URL]http://66.70.187.204/DW-Website/KY-Hobie-pursuit-02.html[/URL]

I actually got it from the Appomattox River Company named above.

It is the type you are looking for, very fast, and tracks well.  I have gone through some minor rapids (read: laughable), and I can tell you that it wasn't cuttin it even on those!  I know it wasn't intended for even minor rapids, but damn, I'd hardly call those little bumps rapids.  

Also, on this type, the material is too soft for much rock bashing.  It can indeed take it, but they appear to shred easier than hard core river kayaks.  The low water levels here on the rocky James River in Richnond, VA is aging mine quickly.  

Don't let my above statements make you think I don't like it.  I do!  I just imagined it was a little more flexable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top