Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 1:51:19 PM EDT
Here's hte short version. I've got a 3month old jack russell who is actually pretty well trained already, but he has two problems.

While he won't go #2 on the carpet, he'll either stand at the door till you take him out or go on the mat/newspaper beside the door he won't stop peeing in his bed. Any ideas?

And the other one how can you get them better at being left alone? When I leave in the morning he's fine if I leave him in his little kennel. If I leave him in the kitchen with the baby gate and food/water he will find a way out... He somehow managed ot push the gate over today in the course of the hour or so i was gone..

Also at night he'll cry if left alone even if you just go to the kitchen or to take a shower....

any puppy experts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Once a dog smells urine, they'll continue to pee where they smell it. Wash the bedding & then do the nose rubbed in it with a newspaper swat on the butt if he continues.

As for the lonely bit, turn on a radio or small tv. The talking may be enough to make a difference, I've seen it work.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said.

Also, I have tried some stuff I got in the pet store that is supposed to train them to particular spots by smell. It worked great for my dogs.

If you have a dog that wants to be with you that much, you will probably find it pretty easy to train him. They will pay attention and learn to do what you want just to please you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've actually got him two beds.. JUst incase I need to wash one.. I did the crate training and he seemed to pick it up real quick.

I've had a couple other dogs before, but this is the first I didn't get as a stray and also the first inside dog I've had.

The spray stuff I tried, didn't seem to do much for him though.

If he's just laying around he'll be fine... 75% of the time he'll go to the door and stare at it or just go on the paper (got the puppy mats under it) but other times he'll run right to his bed and pee in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Get some of the urine eliminator liquid and use that on his bed and surrounding area.  You should be able to get it at any pet supply store.  Several companies make it - it uses enzymes to remove the urine stain and odor.  Also, you might want to move his bed to a different location to see if he keeps peeing on the bed or at the old location.

Your puppy is actually training you with the crying routine.  He's teaching you to stay with him all the time.  You'll have to be more stubborn than he is.  Two things might help.  First, leave a t-shirt or some other article of your clothing with the puppy.  Use something that you've worn but have not laundered.  If it has your "smell" on the fabric, the puppy may be comforted by that.  Secondly, leave a talk radio station on when you leave the room or house.  The puppy will hear the voices and it may comfort him as it'll sound like humans are actually there.  Use talk radio, not music.  This is also a good thing to help prevent thieves from breaking in.  If they hear voices, they might think someone is home.

Good luck and enjoy your new buddy!

ETA:
The odor eliminator products that I used in the past were NATURE'S MIRACLE and SIMPLE SOLUTION.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
As a former K-9 handler I will share some of my thoughts with you.  The only thing that will work with training your puppy is positive reinforcement when the puppy does his business in the yard.  As far as the seperation anxiety your pup is showing when you are behind a closed door where he cannot get to you let him tough it out.  Puppies are alot like babies in this area, they cry and you come pick them up, you are now teaching the puppy a behavior.  It's gonna take some time, Jack Russell's are some of the coolest dogs around however, they are also some of the most hyper and hard headed dogs around.  Praise and patience will triumph over a rolled up newspaper everytime.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Once a dog smells urine, they'll continue to pee where they smell it. Wash the bedding & then do the nose rubbed in it with a newspaper swat on the butt if he continues.

As for the lonely bit, turn on a radio or small tv. The talking may be enough to make a difference, I've seen it work.

Good luck!

I call horseshit, then again, what do I know, I only do rescue and help socialize dogs for potential adopters.  NEVER NEVER NEVER connect punishment and house training.  They'll keep doing it, but only try to hide it from you.  Everytime the dog gets up from laying down, I don't care if it was for 30 seconds, take it out until it goes, and then praise the shit out of it, and give it a treat.  Don't stop the crate training at all, EVER.  If done properly he will see the crate as his den and go in it on his own to sleep.  Same thing,  everytime he goes in it for more than a second, take him outside until he goes and then praise the shit out of him and give him a treat.  Never put the dog in the crate as a punishment. Honestly a sharp "no" is enough to let a dog know your not happy,  and since your the alpha, it should be your dogs mission in life to make you happy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As far as the seperation anxiety your pup is showing when you are behind a closed door where he cannot get to you let him tough it out.  Puppies are alot like babies in this area, they cry and you come pick them up, you are now teaching the puppy a behavior.  It's gonna take some time, !

There lies one of my greatest problems... Since I live in an appt the neighbors don't take kindly to the crying/barking puppy.

And it's weird... dependingon what door I go through he doesn't cry.... LIke if I go out my front door he's fine... if I go in the bathroom door he starts..

I could hear him balling the entire time I was taking a shower this am.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree with Dusty. The crate is your friend. It may seem cruel but dogs actually like the security of a crate. Unless you have a pen for him he should be in the crate unless you are working him. The animal will enjoy his time with you so much more you will be able to train him to do anything. If you are not working him or playing he is in the crate or in the pen.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I call horseshit, then again, what do I know,

I don't know, what do ya know???????  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have to agree with Dusty. The crate is your friend. It may seem cruel but dogs actually like the security of a crate. Unless you have a pen for him he should be in the crate unless you are working him. The animal will enjoy his time with you so much more you will be able to train him to do anything. If you are not working him or playing he is in the crate or in the pen.

+1

A properly crate trained dog that pees in his bed is most likely a sick dog.

Here's what we did with our Jack Rusell, now six months old.

1. We set up a room with plastic  and loose linoleum down.
2. Placed her crate in there. This is where she sleeps at nite.
3. Every 30 minutes we'd take her out and tell her to "piddle" or "poop" and reward her with a snack when she peed or crapped.
4. When she stands at the door, DROP EVERYTHING AND TAKE HER OUT IMMEDIATELY. Use the key words (whatever you want her to associate with peeing / pooping) and reward the desired behaviour.

If she is standing at the door, and you are not IMMEDIATLEY taking her out, its YOUR fault she pees in her bed.

Potty training is NOT rocket science - its about dedication to teh task of training your dog.

Geez dude - she's only 3 months old, and has a bladder the size of a thimble. Giver her a freeking CHANCE for success.

Gratuitous pup pic...

JRT's are awesome.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I could hear him ....

There's your problem - male dog.

As has been said - yer gonna have to tough it out, and make teh dog understand you are the boss.

NOT being mean, but when you say its time for doggie to go into the crate, you can't wuss out and let the dog have his way.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Green Kool-aid (Prestone flavor) usually takes care of just this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya gotta catch em in the act or discipine is futile!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As a former K-9 handler I will share some of my thoughts with you.  The only thing that will work with training your puppy is positive reinforcement when the puppy does his business in the yard.  As far as the separation anxiety your pup is showing when you are behind a closed door where he cannot get to you let him tough it out.  Puppies are a lot like babies in this area, they cry and you come pick them up, you are now teaching the puppy a behavior.  It's gonna take some time, Jack Russell's are some of the coolest dogs around however, they are also some of the most hyper and hard headed dogs around.  Praise and patience will triumph over a rolled up newspaper every time.  Good luck!

+1
Former dog trainer here.

As for the peeing. It's fairly easy, if your time permits. Puppies must be on consistent schedule for his walks. You set the walk times, obviously soon after he gets up in the morning. IE: 7am, 10am, 1pm, etc.. They have smaller bladders then an adult dog, so they need to go to the bathroom more often. Until he is potty trained, DO NOT leave a water bowl out constantly or have access to water(toilet). The more he drinks the more he needs to pee. But, naturally make sure he gets enough water. He keeps peeing in his bed, because he is used to it, consider getting rid of it altogether, until he is poddy trained. When he pees outside, praise him and give him a tiny treat. When he pees in the house, you must catch him in the act and yell "NO"! Then take him out right away.

As for the crying. Consistency is key. Make believe your going into the shower. Let him start crying, the second he stops or takes a break, open the door and praise him. Never open the door when he is crying, that's telling him when he cries, he gets his way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top