Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/7/2006 2:15:52 PM EDT

For the past week or so I've noticed some oil leaking, but hadnt had time to check it out, One day I just quickly checked the oil level just to make sure I still had plenty and it was still mostly full.

Today I looked it over better I noticed that part that is circled in red.

Before I took the picture what I actually noticed was that it was all wrapped up in black electrical tape, and tape was hanging off of it.

Since I dont recall it being taped up in the years that I had it, I'm assuming that happened when I got my radiator replaced about a month ago. I figure they broke it and just taped it up and figured I wouldnt notice, and I guess they were right.

Anyways I figure its not that big of a deal, I'm assuming the part doesnt cost much, anyone know what it is called so I can go to autozone and see if they have one.

Also can anyone tell me what that hose it is connected to is supposed to do? Where is that oil supposed to go from there?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:31:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 2:32:34 PM EDT by u-baddog]
THe crank case vent line. The fitting that is cracked is supposed to carry crank case vapors not oil to the the intake boot.

You need the fitting coming off the valve cover for the crank case vent tube.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 3:25:13 PM EDT by OFFascist]
Yeah I finally found a diagram with it in my Chilton's book, and it is listed the whole line as the "crankcase ventilation hose." With no seperate name for the rubber connector that is broken on mine.

I figured that this was one of those deals that dealers do to make you replace the whole thing instead of just the part that is broken.

I went to autozone, and asked for a crankcase ventilation hose, but they said they didnt have, I then went to O'Reileys and they didnt have either and suggested it was probably a dealer part.

I did turn up this link while looking it up online.


In the meantime since its getting late I just cleaned up as much oil as I could and taped it all back together.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:59:29 AM EDT
I'd bet a dollar there is one hanging on a rack with the common replacement items in Autozone.

It's a rack that has a bunch of replacement parts for the stuff that breaks with wear and tear.

You can repair it by removing it from the crankcase (hoseclamp) then slide it of the hose. You may have two pieces now, the crank case piece and the piece from the hose. Degrease the 90 deg fitting with carb cleaner so no oil is left on the cracked area. Then take some RTV sealant and smear it into the crack, Lightly tape the part so the crack it not under presssure but stays in line with the 90 deg shape. Let dry a few hours ( longer the better but 3 to 5 hours should be fine) and remove tape.
This is a temp repair that could work for the life of the engine but the new part should be less than $5.00.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:35:55 AM EDT
Probably a PCV valve that the hose connects too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:40:05 PM EDT
Temporary (or maybe longer fix). Remove tube and elbow then replace with appropriate diameter and length of rubber fuel line. Hose clamp to PCV valve and intake tube fitting.
That ought ot be a very common part. I know we carry the elbow by itself in our stockroom (unfortunately it for a chevy 2.5 type E or A engine, not a ford what.ever engine)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
That tube draws clean air into the motor, that gets drawn off via PCV into the intake manifold.
Top Top